Maine - Nova Scotia Ferry

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Canceled for the 2021 season.  Comes as no surprise with continuing travel restrictions into Nova Scotia.  It seems unlikely to me that reasonably free travel across the Canadian border from the US will be restored before August or September - possibly longer if the vaccine rollout continues to be slow due to supply issues (mostly in Canada).

N.S. government cancels Yarmouth-to-Maine ferry for 2021 season | CBC News

Although I travel to and from Maine fairly regularly, I never take this ferry anyway - and wouldn't even if I lived in NS - expensive and doesn't really save any time when you consider having to show up well before sailing. Does save some highway km; especially for anyone visiting the NS South Shore.

Canceled for the 2021 season.  Comes as no surprise with continuing travel restrictions into Nova Scotia.  It seems unlikely to me that reasonably free travel across the Canadian border from the US will be restored before August or September - possibly longer if the vaccine rollout continues to be slow due to supply issues (mostly in Canada).

N.S. government cancels Yarmouth-to-Maine ferry for 2021 season | CBC News

Although I travel to and from Maine fairly regularly, I never take this ferry anyway - and wouldn't even if I lived in NS - expensive and doesn't really save any time when you consider having to show up well before sailing. Does save some highway km; especially for anyone visiting the NS South Shore.
Yes, it's not looking good for travel options. I wonder if they doing anything about allowing those with vaccines to cross.

Yes, it's not looking good for travel options. I wonder if they doing anything about allowing those with vaccines to cross.
There has been talk about some sort of vaccination "passport".  A lot of resistance because of potential counterfeits and "discrimination" against those who haven't had the opportunity or desire to get vaccinated.

In the meantime, we are running into issues with sufficient vaccine supply in Canada.  Both Pfizer and Moderna have reduced shipments to Canada for the last part of January and much of February.

Our Pfizer vaccines come from Europe, not the US.  The factory has apparently been undergoing some changes to increase production which is supposed to help in the long run.  (That's their story anyway.)

Moderna is the other approved vaccine and shipments to Canada have been significantly reduced but they aren't saying exactly why. 

Quote from article

...the Moderna disruptions are tied to "certain concerns around the manufacturing process."

Hope people aren't playing politics with medicine after contractual agreements have already been made for supply according to a schedule.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Bummer for the flat-landers. Many ride the ferry for a little gambling a lot of Nova Scotia. I've enjoyed watching the ferry come and go in Bar Harbor and Portland.