Maine ride guide, plus NH and VT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know who these people are, but they are pretty clueless about what the best riding in New Hampshire is. They have you riding up dismal traffic clogged highways like route 16 when a wonderful parallel route 153 exists. They did get a decent loop in the Southwest going through Hancock etc. but its jyst nice, not spectacular. Id check with some locals before following their sage advice

These guides (and there are lots of them out there) are mostly a means of putting together a bunch of ads with just enough actual motorcycling information to get people to look through them. There is some good information here and there and may be of some use to somebody unfamiliar with the region wanting to do the tourist thing. Still, this is another resource worth a quick look if a visit is planned.

Although not perfect, the routes, scenery, accommodations and places to eat on the New England Riders website are better than any commercial publication I have seen. https://www.newenglandriders.org/BestEasternMC.htm

I was thinking about a New England run this coming weekend for a couple days camping near Gorham NH. Then I realized that it is Laconia bike week. Not sure whether the swarm will be spreading that far north or not. If I can find a spot, I expect riding on Saturday would be toward the west (to Vermont) rather than north-central NH. Anything south of North Conway will no doubt be totally inundated with pirates. Parade on the Kancamagus, anyone? I might be better off to go a bit further - Grafton Notch or Jericho lake...

(Fred, on your advice, I did the route 153 last year - can't believe I had not done it before. Very nice.)

These guides (and there are lots of them out there) are mostly a means of putting together a bunch of ads with just enough actual motorcycling information to get people to look through them. There is some good information here and there and may be of some use to somebody unfamiliar with the region wanting to do the tourist thing.
Absolutely agree with what you and Fred said. Like the NER group that I rode with yesterday. They are heading for Acadia. All skilled riders, who wouldn't need the guide, but at least it gives a snippet of what is available and what can be done in a state that many may not have visited, as well as local resources.

As for new riders, maps which are made simply won't overwhelm them. Lets them dream a little about the next weekend ride.

The NER web pages and guides are very good. They were all put together by local riders who know the good stuff and don’t mind sharing. Their web pages are a great resource when riding in the northeast. Just not so sure about these RideMaine people.