Maine to D.C.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need to take the slab then you are much better off picking up I84 west in Connecticut, and taking it to Wilkes Barre, PA then I81 south. It saves a lot of tolls, traffic, aggravation, and time even though it is more miles.

dupontrob2000,

Last year I rode from ME to Richmond, VA, on the way to EOM and stopped in Richmond on the way back. I took I95 all the way down. It was a real PITA and nothing of particular interest to see since I wanted to get there in one day. The tolls were $21. I took the GW Bridge for free since they hit you double going northbound. No idea how much that is. The NJ TPK was over $9 for a lousy 110 miles. The Delaware Mem Bridge was $4. You get the idea. Rush hour within 50 miles of DC was a parking lot.

On the way back, I took I64 from Richmond over to I81 north.The riding was much better except for all the BSTs (big scary trucks) some construction and those revenue generating "Safety Corridors". I think there was a $1 toll at the bridge in Newburgh, NY, and that was it till I hit the NH and ME TPKs. I would do I81 again and cut across from there to DC.

If you do choose I95, I used to take Delaware 13 at the end of the NJ TPK to 301 in to Annapolis. It was a nice ride and not too much traffic. That was quite a few years ago, however.

DC is a fascinating city, just not sure it would be a destination for me on a cycle. Have a good trip.