Making chili for dinner tonight....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.paul

Reaction score
...What's a good side (besides rice) for chili? I can't think of anything to the side. Any chef's out there have any bright ideas?

I've already got the beer situation sorted, so that doesn't count either lol

I'm going to make some corn bread and maybe mix in some creamed corn, also.

Throw in some chopped jalapeños in the cornbread. And be sure to cook it in an iron skillet, warmed in the oven before putting the batter in it, that will give it a nice crust on the outside.

Chili is almost a meal by itself, so we go with a good assortment of toppings: sour cream, cheeses, scallions or onions, chopped cilantro, lime wedges.

What time's dinner?? I'll bring the Beano!

Depending on my mood (or the group):

Over pasta like: Farfale or Campanelle, but egg noodle of various sizes will do.

I've also served with hot flour totillas (corn tortillas wold be good, but you're already thinking Corn Bread). Tortilla chips?

Hot Dogs, Brats, different types of sausages. You could "split" the sausages before cooking and serve with warm rolls (French, Sourgough, etc.) so your guests could top their open face bread/meat combos with the chili or have the open face as a side with sauteed onions, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say garlic bread.

All the crazy locals here eat sphagetti in their chili. I say that's not chili, it's pasta with meat sauce now!

I was going to say garlic bread.
All the crazy locals here eat sphagetti in their chili. I say that's not chili, it's pasta with meat sauce now!
Actually, THAT idea is suggested in "Joy of cooking" by Irma S. Rombauer. On a cold Winter's day, over egg noodles w/ chopped onions and some grated cheese, ain't all that bad. I just can't go the "spaghetti" idea for the very reason you stated.

Cornbread "pancakes" topped with the chilli. ad various toppings, chopped onion, peppers, grated cheese, whatever.

I really like the corn bread idea. Or how about corn mush ... made sweet enough, it can be "corny" yet almost desert-like! Look up recipes online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chili is the side dish by itself. It has the legumes, veggies and meat. Therefore, the sides would be the bread and corn bread is my favorite bread to go with beef chili. I like onions and grated cheese as a garnish.

Chili

Corn Bread

Beer

Perfect meal.

I second or third the cornbread idea (jalapeno's; bonus). Then dish out the chili and top with shredded cheddar (sharp, or whatever your favorite).

Damn, this thread is making me hungry! :D
Me too! I've been doing so well with eating small quantities of healthy food..... but now I'm reading all these mouth watering descriptions of delicious foods.....mmmmmm!!!!!

Jill
Healthy...HA! what could be heather that a chili dog, you have your meat, bun (grain) beans & onion (vegetable) tomato (fruit) top with cheese (dairy), and there you have it all five food groups in one hand, and all over your face.

Biscuits and ice cold beer, fuck all that frenchy hifalutin shit............ :p

Cornbread in a bowl. Chili on top. Shredded onions and cheddar cheese on it! Stir it all up and chow down!

PS - I make chili with corn in it, in addition to beans.

...What's a good side (besides rice) for chili? I can't think of anything to the side. Any chef's out there have any bright ideas?
I've already got the beer situation sorted, so that doesn't count either lol

I'm going to make some corn bread and maybe mix in some creamed corn, also.
A serious chili cook would never put beans in his chili. I assume you've cooked "cowboy beans" on the side with lots of Jalapenos and cenaltro and cummin? That'll be one side. Stuffed Jalapenos is an additional side as is corn bread and don't forget the slaw!

So Slaw, beans, corn bread, chili and stuffed Jalapenos....sounds like a pretty good meal to me. I'd add a desert, say spiced peaches or any kind of cobbler a la mode!

Jim

PS: Now you know why I'm so fat!

That does sound good Grumpy. But I thought "Chili" was with beans and "Chili con carne" was Chili with meat - a friggin travesty unless it's flank steak. Chili on cornbread pancake -- I'm doing it! We're cooking homemade pasta for our Italian class tomorrow, but COCB is next!