Making Jerky and other dehydrated foods

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
following this thread. I've had jerky on my mind for a few months now....wait.....that doesn't sound good......
....dammit....
Well not as bad as talking about "getting your wood wet" ;)

Smoking, grilling...those are meals. Jerky to me is snack food. But it wins over popcorn, crackers, etc... because it's meat. Meat is good. :)

Well, got my dehydrator today:

IMG_3007.jpg

Will try to do some jerky this weekend :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I almost got that beet. the hunters got a dear out my yard yesterday. A young button buck. Today they showed up with a quite heavy bag of venison. Yummmmmmmm. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

I dare to say it won't be smoked or made into jerky.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM good,

Dave

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Carne Asada.
Elk and deer make the best jerky around. Yum!!
I tried elk jerky a couple years ago and found the meat to have a bit of inherent sweetness along with nice texture. Gotta agree it was better than beef.

Well I almost got that beet. the hunters got a dear out my yard yesterday. A young button buck. Today they showed up with a quite heavy bag of venison. Yummmmmmmm. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.I dare to say it won't be smoked or made into jerky.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM good,

Dave
Nice. I got about 3 pounds of deer loin (backstrap) that I'm just going to cut into steaks for the grill.... ;)

Looks like the same one I have. I ordered a couple of extra expansion trays, and they sent a couple of multi-packs by mistake (I assume), so I can make the leaning tower of jerky when needed..

I like to soak my meat at least overnight..

About 2 pounds of meat. (London Broil) $6.00 and the marinade:

IMG_3010.jpg

Used the following recipe, but added a tablespoon of sarachia hot sause.

* 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

3/4 cup soy sauce

1 tablespoon smoked paprika, or to taste

1 tablespoon honey, or more to taste

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

Will let it sit till Sunday morning....can't wait.

You need to send me some, for quality control/review purposes

Ya, I am all helpful like that :)

Meat dried off and in the dehydrator at 8:15.

While waiting...a question. Several folks online say to use a curing salt in with your marinade. Some say they don't, mostly because they consume their jerky quickly.

The dehydrator came with jerky spice packets and curing salt packets. I used neither, just the marinade listed above.

So, do those of you that have made jerky use a curing salt?

FDA also says to heat the meat to 160 degrees BEFORE putting into the

Dehydrator.

Most recipes I've seen online make no mention of adding a curing salt, but do stress cleanliness of all equipment. Some say they only use curing salt (97% sodium chloride and 3% sodium nitrate) on chicken or turkey and some say venison too.

I picked this dehydrator because it does heat to 160 F. Meat will be eaten quickly, stored in bags in the fridge and freezer.

Remember, the salt will make it...Salty. We never used it either, because my dad despised the "over salty" flavor of the meat. Most store bought marinades are going to have a lot of salt, and the curing salt just adds. If you're making your own, you can adjust it, but the curing salt is different somehow. Maybe because my dad didn't like it, im.not a huge fan if it either. If you're not selling it and not storing it, you're good without it. Up to you, really.

Never used it for jerky.

My marinade usually has soy sauce, despite being the low sodium variety. I've never had an issue..

I make bacon, and do use curing salt for that, but after a week it's washed and dried before smoking and slicing.

OK. Pulled out at 4 hours. Chewy, spicy, and just the way I like it . 1.75 pounds of meat filled 3 out of 5 trays. So have about 25 pieces bagged in the fridge (plus about 6 pieces consumed quickly by me and my granddaughter)

Very pleased.

IMG_3022.jpg

You can cram a bunch more meat on each tray, the forced air gets to it all.

I ordered a set of two extra trays when I bought mine, and they sent me two packs of two trays for an additional 4. :) So when I'm going to go to the trouble, I tend to make a bunch!

Yeah, I'll likely order a few more trays. Wasn't sure how much meat I'd be able to get on the five I have. Actually called Nesco customer support and asked...gal said "around 2 pounds" ...Doing the math here, I should be able to load 2.9 pounds on the five trays, and given I left a fairly good space between each piece, I could probably get a good 3-1/2 pounds if I bunched them up a bit more.

But, first try at this, still happy. Think I'll try an eye of round next time.... :)

I have the same dehydrator. I give a lot away and get the most compliments on ground deer meat from the jerky gun. 4.5 hours and its done, I use curing salt since I usual do 15 pound batches.

I cut up a couple of bottom round steaks yesterday ($3.99 lb.) and they are sitting in the fridge marinating now. Tonight I will set them in the dehydrator. I will be smelling the aroma of teriyaki and soy sauce all night. I added some cayenne pepper, allspice, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes to the mix. No salt added, there is plenty in the bottled soy and teriyaki sauce. I never add salt. I wonder how a dry rub and dehydrating would work. Never tried that.

Dave

Try this recipe:

Very close to how my dad used to make it. If you have a bunch of red Chile powder left over, let me know. I'll tell you how to make a pot of red Chile with pork. It'll knock your socks off!!

Latest posts