Making Jerky and other dehydrated foods

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't recognize the brand she uses. "Red Chile Powder" can vary greatly as to not only how hot it is, to what's exactly in it. I've seen a wide difference in what one company calls "mild" and what another company calls "mild".

She said the jerky was "crispy"...that sounds over dried to me. But hey, I'm just a FNG to all this ;)

Don't recognize the brand she uses. "Red Chile Powder" can vary greatly as to not only how hot it is, to what's exactly in it. I've seen a wide difference in what one company calls "mild" and what another company calls "mild".
She said the jerky was "crispy"...that sounds over dried to me. But hey, I'm just a FNG to all this ;)
You're right on track. I was going to say it, but didn't want anyone to think I was talking down. I only like the mix she makes, not the paper thin meat crisps she produces. For some reason, that type of jerky is very popular around here. It's too dry for me.

Bueno Chile is probably one of the best brands you can buy. Their farms and processing plant are just outside of Las Cruces, where the best chile in the world is farmed. It's very consistent and it's heat markings are well placed, for here. This means, if you like spicy foods, the medium will not disappoint. If you like it HOT, you won't be sad either, and the mild is very mild. Their chile powder is so good, because the flavor is excellent. Regardless of heat, mediocre chile makes bad powder with flavors that can't be fixed.

just throwing this out there, but...

You know you can dehydrate efficiently in the convection oven in your kitchen without the need to purchase an extra kitchen gidgy that takes up a lot of room?

Just buy some large cookie cooling racks to keep the marinated meat off the over racks. And if you think they might drip? Buy a foil oven liner from a $store

You know you can dehydrate efficiently in the convection oven in your kitchen without the need to purchase an extra kitchen gidgy that takes up a lot of room?
Not really.. unless your oven gets down to around 140º.. I've never seen one that goes below 170.

It makes a difference, in my experience. I actually dry at much lower temp (around 120) for longer, as it produces a texture that I much prefer - still crisp outside, but a little bit of tenderness inside.

I'd question how safe it is drying meat at 120 degrees, especially if you're adding more time that it's sitting out.

That aside....my convection oven only goes down to 170F. But I've read if you leave the door cracked open some the temperature will stay a bit lower. Folks do make jerky in their home ovens...and some also make it in their smokers. My aunt made deer jerky in her oven and it was pretty damn good ;)

But I didn't want to tie up my oven, nor spend money on cooking racks. The model I have also heats all the trays evenly, where even a convection oven will have hot spots (no matter what they tell you) That and the fact I can dehydrate fruits, herbs, vegetables, and even soups, makes having a stand alone dehydrator more versatile than ones oven. It has the option to hold more than my oven can. And it only takes up room when I'm using it, and sleeps on a shelf in the basement when I'm not. :)

I know, sure you can make jerky in an oven. You can also throw away all your wrenches and just use visegrips ..... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You men and your toys. I prefer a simpler life.

That said, I would be wary of too low a temp as well. I think there is enough leeway in marination, cutting thickness and drying time nothing would be compromised.

Well I just fired up the Nesco dehydrator. 4 racks of jerky being processed. I should be able to try a couple of bites for breakfast tomorrow. I tasted the marinade and maybe it could have used a little more suger. I like my jerky sweet an hot. Just a like a good woman.

Hubba Hubba,

Dave

I think posted this earlier, but I used to make it in an oven with just the light on, and a battery-operated fan for circulation. Temp was right around 100º, it would take more than a day, and tasted great.

Nobody who ate it died yet. Not talking once or twice. For something like 15 years.

My belief is: the only bacteria on meat is on the surface, which means after slicing it's a tiny percentage of the piece, and the marinade (specifically the salt) kills it anyway.

YMMV..

Well the Nesco ran all night. The wife complained this morning. I don't remember it being so loud. So I closed the bedroom door and all was good again. Anyway I tasted a couple of pieces and put some in a bag for lunch. It was pretty decent but I know I can do better. Needed more heat and sweetness. This afternoon when I got home I bagged the rest and put it in the fridge. I have lunch for the next several days.

Yum,

Dave

My batch is all gone expect for a bag with about 4-5 pieces...which I'll eat tomorrow:)

Guess I'll be doing up some more this weekend..

Okie Dokie... Had the butcher slice up a 2.4 pound eye of round roast:

IMG_3033.jpg

Trimmed off the fat and cut into strips, then into the marinade:

IMG_3034.jpg

Used the same basic marinade I used last time, but deleted the red pepper flakes and the Sriracha. Added extra tablespoon honey, teaspoon sugar, tablespoon Tabasco, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon Ancho chili powder.

Will sit overnight in the fridge then into the dehydrator. :)

I covet thine knife.....
It's a right handed 210mm Yanagiba, (also called a sashimi, or "sushi" knife) I don't see this particular model available anymore, but here is where I picked it up:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sashimi-knives.html

They have a few that are much nicer than mine, which is an inexpensive one. It's really meant for cutting fish, but does well slicing up strips for jerky ;)

I made the mistake of going in to my favorite kitchen store yesterday. The owner had me try a couple japanese blades on a raw carrot. The bloody thing cut so effortlessly, and the kicker? The sides of the carrot coins were almost as if polished...

Yep. Was told you could tell how good the knife was by how "shiny" the piece of cut fish was.

I've always loved Japanese steel....

I made the mistake of going in to my favorite kitchen store yesterday. The owner had me try a couple japanese blades on a raw carrot. The bloody thing cut so effortlessly, and the kicker? The sides of the carrot coins were almost as if polished...
I started to understand how good knives could be for what I think might have been a couple of years before I bought my first Shun. I had picked up a couple of Oxo knives that were so much better than the usual Henkel set you get as a wedding present, I started to look into it. Turns out the steel itself matters, they way they are made matters. I was delighted to pay over $200 for an 8" Chef's, and it's my favorite, most-used knife.

I now own a nice collection of Shun, Global, and Wusthof knives that I treasure. Not a whole set of each, but a particular style from each that I find best for the task. I have a simple Global boning knife that is much more flexible than any of the others, as well as a smaller 5" utility that is great for certain tasks where the larger Shun feels a bit bulky. The grips are all different, but for certain tasks, I find different grip styles preferable. I am fortunate to have a cooks supply store that carries all of these (and more) and had the opportunity to handle each knife before purchase.

We all recognize there is no one "best" motorcycle, and if we had the means, we would own one for each task. Unfortunately, most of us have to choose the best compromise. When it comes to something more affordable, most of us *can* afford to have a few in our stable, but just like motorcycles, no one manufacturer has the "best" for every task.