Manual Cruise-Control Needed 06 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Overman

Reaction score
Need a cruise-control for my 06 FJR and I’m open for recommendations.

Saw a Spirit Beast MC Cruise Control End Bar Weight Throttle...13MM-19mm Inner Diameter on E-Bay.  Plugged my bike in and it’s shows that they will fit, but it takes 6-8 weeks to get them; so I need something else. Heading to the Grand Canyon end of April and I got to have cruise control on my bike!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jeff O

This is a throttle lock, not a cruise control.

There are lots of throttle lock devices that will work with the FJR - try throttle lock as a search term. 

I have Throttlemeister heavy bar end throttle lock.  I like them a lot but they are no longer in business.

I tried a few of them on my Gen I's.  The Throttlmeister works well, but they're much more complicated and expensive than the others.  I don't really remember the brand names I tried, but they fall into categories.  One kind just holds on the right grip and swings into position when you want to set it and it holds the throttle in that position, because it locks into place behind the brake lever.  Another is a friction lock with a thumb lever that you flick on and off when youu're at about the speed you want (this one is my preference).  These all work fine so you can grab something out of your pocket, or stretch your arm or hand for a minute, etc., but they don't hold your speed very well; you just gradually get going faster or slower because they can't adjust for outside factors.  The last two kinds can be $20 or even less.  Don't spend much more than that.  I've some that work just like them that look all chromed up and fancy for three times the amount.  All of the above types can be easily overcome by just twisting your wrist to slow down; they don't hold beyond your ability to override them.  By the way, IMO the last two--cheaper ones--work exactly as well as the Throttlemeister, and they all have the same weaknesses

The last kind is beyond worthless.  They sell them in bike shows and everywhere, it's just a paddle-shaped thing that wraps around the handlebar/throttle that you rest your hand on so you don't have to grip the throttle.  It holds the throttle with just the weight of your hand  These things are DANGEROUS!  DON'T BUY ONE!  There was a big discussion about them here several years ago, and a LOT of guys had tried them and ran into the same thing that happened to me.  Say you're on the highway for a while and the thing is set in a certain position, then you come into a town.  Unless you're very careful with the positioning of the paddle, it's just so easy to nudge the damn thing down and goose your rpm's in a VERY sudden and unexpected way.  It would be so easy to rear end somebody, or shoot out into traffic, or do a surprise wheelie, or a lot of really bad shit.

Haven't seen anything about these damn things in a long time, but it's worth raising the issue again as a reminder.  They're cheap and look like they might work.  Don't.

The first farkle I always added to my non-cruise FJRs is the Vista-Cruise throttle lock.  For about $20 it is priceless.  Screw the Throttlemeister.  I always hated that thing.  What a PITA to use.

The first farkle I always added to my non-cruise FJRs is the Vista-Cruise throttle lock.  For about $20 it is priceless.  Screw the Throttlemeister.  I always hated that thing.  What a PITA to use.
I don't find the Throttlemeister too bad once it is adjusted correctly.  A nice bit of bling but far more cost than it is worth.  (It was on my 2011 when I bought it used.)  Moot point because the company in no longer in business. None of the throttle locks will maintain a set speed with any accuracy.  Up hill, down, wind etc. will change your speed significantly.  I use mine just to give the right hand a bit of a rest from time-to-time.  Usually no more than a minute or two at a time.

I agree that the Vista-Cruise is probably best bang for the buck and as SacrementoMike said, stay away from throttle rockers (paddles).

Agree with the guys above but will also add another issue with the throttle rockers.  Many instances, mine personally included, of catching your cuff on it when moving your wrist, like maybe when reaching for the brake lever?  Not good.  Mine came off soon after that.

I have a Kaoko throttle lock on my '06 and works as a lock like i want it to.  Works very well, barely notice its there and good fitment. 

It's for sale too as I have my '06 for sale too.... dont need a throttle lock on my '16 with cruise.

Go Cruise 2 Universal, around $30. Very simple and worked well on my 2012.  Has adjustable tension to help hold the throttle in place longer but still easy to override by just twisting the throttle.

Thanks G, I'd like to try to answer, if the question is, "need to throw away the paddle".  I spent a good amount of time training myself to the paddle and it's potential hazards, and the tool works for me and I'm not it's slave.  The blocking hazard at my wrist feels always present.  But, reading this thread reminded me of this near exact throttle lock I had long ago on another bike in cold winter driving and I am remembering it as being superior.  I'll let you know.  Can't really throw the paddle away as it was gift from daughter. Thanks, again, Forum!

I think the McCruise works great, but is slightly more cash than the $20-$30 prices being thrown around. 😁  Expensive but very happy with it and much cheaper than a new bike.