Master Cylinder Mystery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keg

Reaction score
I changed the brake fluid on my 08 Saturday and when I was done I noticed that the metal piece that sits inside the sight glass on the front master cylinder was missing. I have no idea what happened to it, it is not in the reservoir, I opened it up and checked again today. It is obviously too large to fit down the holes. Any one else have a problem with this falling out? does it serve a purpose, such as a circlip that holds the sight glass in? I checked the parts fiche and it is not listed as a part and doesnt show up on the diagram. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Craig

What is this metal piece you speak of?

Kidding aside, I can't quite tell from the description what the part looked like. Was it a circlip or something similar?

I bled my brake and clutch last fall. Only thing inside master cylinders was brake fluid.

Were you able to see it in both brake and clutch MC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I could of sworn they were on both brake and clutch master cylinders. If that little fluid level thing is only on the clutch side I'm OK. I guess I'm getting old and remembering things that were not there.

Well I could of sworn they were on both brake and clutch master cylinders. If that little fluid level thing is only on the clutch side I'm OK. I guess I'm getting old and remembering things that were not there.
Yep, just checked, clutch side only on my '07. I'm just glad Yamaha has been weight conscious through the years and didn't allow the Gen II's to get bloated with superfluous add-on's.

Or rememberin' things better than they was... That's fun!

:p

I bled the clutch & brakes on my Australian spec '01 at the weekend & can confirm that both master cylinders have the metal circular piece in the sight glass window. Maybe the Gen II master cylinders are from a different supplier ?