Mazda oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullMetal

Reaction score
Wild coincidence:
I used to own a Mazda 3 that I had bought new. I loved the car and the 6 speed manual transmission but it was just a tad bit too small for my 6'4" body. I ended up trading it in after 3 years and 75k miles because of the long trips I was taking at the time, but not before I had bought a box of OEM oil filters: Mazda P/N PE01 14 302A

Those filters sat on the shelf with the thought that "one of these days" I would post them on ebay.

So time for an oil change on the FJR and I go looking to see if I have a spare filter and I decide to see if the Mazda filter would fit... Sure enough, it is cross compatible with the Mobil 1 M1-108. Works a treat!

Ok, so I have a garden tractor with a Honda twin engine and the same filter fits that too! What are the odds?:unsure:

Have a great day,
Dave

The M1-108 (or its longer sibling the M1-110) are used in a lot of vehicles so the odds are pretty good. This filter designation is common but there are issues with some manufacturers. Some (notably Bosch and Purolator equivalents) started making them with a baseplate that is convex instead of concave. While these may appear to fit, they are likely to leak because the baseplate makes contact with the union bolt at the threads before the gasket is fully sealed. If you look, there are a number of threads here on the subject, including one on modifying the union bolt to accommodate the filter redesign.

Edit: The one on the left will leak although both are Bosch 3323.

1683466628200.png

Last edited:
I have several of the Bosch filters that leak. Had a Harley guy point that out to me. They did change the way they seal to where they don't.
Going to the trash.

My Kawasaki Vulcan used the same oil filter as the Miata. Never noticed it was the same for the FJR.

Reminds me of a thing my father in law used to say about fixing a car. "The easiest way to fix this thing would be to lift the radiator cap off and drive a new car underneath it". Usually with less than pleasant tone of voice.

The M1-108 (or its longer sibling the M1-110) are used in a lot of vehicles so the odds are pretty good. This filter designation is common but there are issues with some manufacturers. Some (notably Bosch and Purolator equivalents) started making them with a baseplate that is convex instead of concave. While these may appear to fit, they are likely to leak because the baseplate makes contact with the union bolt at the threads before the gasket is fully sealed. If you look, there are a number of threads here on the subject, including one on modifying the union bolt to accommodate the filter redesign.

Edit: The one on the left will leak although both are Bosch 3323.

View attachment 4236
Great info. Thank you. Thanks also for the comparison photo.

So do you think the M1-110 should be used if clearance is not an issue as it has more volume and would in theory have more surface area to filter (especially after the filtering surface starts to get obstructed)?

Been using them since I bought my bike new in 09. Never a problem. The taller box also helps to keep the fairing propped out during the change process. You'll see. ;)

So do you think the M1-110 should be used if clearance is not an issue as it has more volume and would in theory have more surface area to filter (especially after the filtering surface starts to get obstructed)?
I use the M1-110 but I seriously doubt it matters. Oh, and I change the filter every second oil change as per Yamaha.