MC Cruise Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffs

Reaction score
Greetings,

I just installed a MC Cruise control and for the life of me I can not get it to work. I have tried everything over the last week. I installed one on my ST1100 and did not have any problems. I was wondering in there was someone close (500 miles +_...I would be willing to travel further if I had to) who might be able to help me trouble shoot. Thanks.

Jeff S.

Mulvane, KS

Did you do the diagnostic test? Do you have LEDs in the tail lights? If you do you will need to add 50 ohms rated at 10 watts of resisters in parallel with the wire tapping the brake light wire.

Mine failed the first time becase the set up for the clutch wires was reversed. Send them an email to McCruise with what you are encountering. They were very helpful on my install and I was also moving it from another bike to mine. They also can give you the drawing for the resistors and where to connect them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you do the diagnostic test? Do you have LEDs in the tail lights? If you do you will need to add 50 ohms rated at 10 watts of resisters in parallel with the wire tapping the brake light wire.

Mine failed the first time becase the set up for the clutch wires was reversed. Send am email to McCruise with what you are encountering. They were very helpful on my install and I was also moving it from another bike to mine. They also can give you the drawing for the resistors and where to connect them.

I agree, good advice. I also had a problem with my initial install and they helped me via e mail. My problem was that I hooked up one of the connections to the wrong place.

Rememer they are in Austrailia, so it could toke a couple of days to get a response.

does the unit power on at all? can you enter diag mode? I had a similar problem when installing on my 09, had the brake light wires backwards....

IIRC they are the same servo as the CCS-100. They just have all the plugs on the wires to you don't have to splice into the wiring harness, its just plug and play. Are you using the magnet kit??? are there any dip switches in the servo? if so are they set up right? like was stated earlier if you have led brake lights you will need a relay. You need a good ground on this (brake) wire.

You can unplug the wires from the servo and test each circuit with a test light (except the speed wire). That might help...

Greetings,

I just installed a MC Cruise control and for the life of me I can not get it to work. I have tried everything over the last week. I installed one on my ST1100 and did not have any problems. I was wondering in there was someone close (500 miles +_...I would be willing to travel further if I had to) who might be able to help me trouble shoot. Thanks.

Jeff S.

Mulvane, KS
$1000.00 dollar cruise control eh? Very nice. I'm not any help on the installation, but I'm looking forward to getting together with you at some point to see the end product.

Mike W.

Wichita

Thanks everyone for the tips. I ran all the tests in my 104 degree garage yesterday, maybe that is why I missed the clutch test failing. My clutch does the exact opposite of what the test procedure calls for. The bike is in gear, on the center stand. I verified the plug into the clutch was correct (no real way to install this wrong that I can see).

I dropped the folks down under an email about my problem. I'll keep ya all updated.

Jeff

Jeff, I installed the McCruise about a month ago and had the same problem. Read the test/setup instructions again carefully. The instructions for configuring the clutch switch are there. I was too fried after doing mine on a 105 degree day to do it correctly.

Ralph

Ditto on having a problem with the clutch switch on the MCCruise. I could not get anything to work until I disconnected the clutch switch from the harness. With it disconnected, I was able to complete the setup and adjustments. It works fine, except for not having the "safety" feature of the clutch being attached to the cruise system. After reading AuburnFJR's post, I checked to see if the wires on my connectors were reversed; but they appear to be correct. I haven't had the time to further troubleshoot the problem. I wanted to double check everything, before I emailed MCCruise. I will be interested to hear what you find out.

As promised an update. Two days ago I dropped an email to the good folks down under and about an hour later I received a phone call from them. The first problem I had was the clutch voltage being incorrect. They ran me through the procedure to switch the voltage. My clutch passed the diag test, but the cruise was still inoperable. The McCruise folks provided me with step by step trouble shooting that I could try once I removed the gas tank yet again!

I put off trying to fix it as the KS temp has been well over 100 on Tues and Wed. Today the temp broke and it was a cool 96 so out to the garage after dinner I go. The problem was just as the McCruise folks thought. Incorrect cable tension at the CIU. Dam.....I could have sworn I had that right, but i was mistaken. After making the adjustments, I could get the cruise to accelerate in diagnostic mode.....a good sign. The road test was a success! I now have an operational cruise control.

Thanks again for the folks who posted here with help and support. Also as a reminder, I am a new FJR owner. If you live in the Wichita, KS area and do your own tire mounting I have a No-Mar tire changer. I would be glad to help you mount some tires.

Jeff S.

Mulvane, KS

I am looking at the MC Cruise Control for my 2010. Seems like the FJR owners here like it. Is it the best for the FJR? Expensive, but looks well-designed. I like the bracket with controls on the left mounted to the clutch mc backet. Has anyone mounted the servo underneath the rider's seat?

I am looking at the MC Cruise Control for my 2010. Seems like the FJR owners here like it. Is it the best for the FJR? Expensive, but looks well-designed. I like the bracket with controls on the left mounted to the clutch mc backet. Has anyone mounted the servo underneath the rider's seat?
Under the seat is the location that McCruise wants yo to put the servo. I mounted mine next just above and behind the right horn and drilled/tapped two holes in teh fram to hold the servo. It is a tight fit, but I didn't want to give up the space under the seat so I can carry a small tool kit there.

I've had mine since 2010, love it. I do have to lube the cables again as it was engaging and then droping out because the cables were not moving free enough. Works great, I ride two up and tow a trailer most of the time. You do have to pay careful attention to the install manual and think out where and how you will layout all the components. It is expensive, but well worth it.

If you are buying a new unit, they no longer are supplied with the vacuum servo that they recommended go under the seat. The new electronic servo can be mounted on the frame thus conserving your under seat storage space. My 2008 has the original unit with vacuum servo. I agree with Bryan, it is a great system.