McCruise Control Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfespinosa

Reaction score
I completed the installation of the McCruise Control on my '08 FJR, it took me about 16 hours and cost $750 USD. I am not an expert mechanic, I would rate myself an average do-it-yourself that's a bit on the slow but sure side. I purchased the kit made specifically for my bike which included a harness (called a loom by the Aussies) with all the wires cut to the right length and with the appropriate connectors - I didn't have to cut any wires. The servo unit installs under the rider's seat, the computer install by the tail light under the passenger seat. The installation required removing the gas tank and the left and right panels on the sides below the seat. If I were to do it again I could do it in half the time.

The cruise is sophisticated, complicated, very well made, and works great. It will hold a speed, accelerate, decelerate, disengage with either brake or clutch pull. The control buttons on the handlebar are illuminated for night riding. The instructions are detailed, complete, and very long. I could uninstall it and leave the bike OEM with no cut wires or cables which indicates how well thought out the unit is. The diagnostics and set up included will ensure that you get it adjusted just right while in the garage so that it will perform just right once on the road.

I had to adjust the "carburator" cables twice to get it just right (under the gas tank). I can now remove the gas tank and put it back on in 30 minutes. I am getting to know by FJR much better.

I love an electronic cruise control, I had one on my previous bike and knowing I could do this to the FJR was an important factor in my purchase. I consider this the most important accessory added to my bike.

Any questions?

Ron

Where's the pics? :) I'd have loved to see what the pieces look like after installed but before being covered up.

Also, how much extra cabling is there to the control buttons? I'm considering (read: trying to talk my wife into allowing me to) installing Heli-bars, which move the grips back about 1.5-1.75 inches. Is there enough cable in the package to allow for this?

Congrats on a successful mod though!

I completed the installation of the McCruise Control on my '08 FJR, it took me about 16 hours and cost $750 USD.
I purchased the kit made specifically for my bike which included a harness (called a loom by the Aussies) with all the wires cut to the right length and with the appropriate connectors

I didn't have to cut any wires.

The servo unit installs under the rider's seat, the computer install by the tail light under the passenger seat.

The installation required removing the gas tank and the left and right panels on the sides below the seat.

It will hold a speed, accelerate, decelerate, disengage with either brake or clutch pull.

The control buttons on the handlebar are illuminated for night riding.

The instructions are detailed, complete, and very long.

I could uninstall it and leave the bike OEM with no cut wires or cables which indicates how well thought out the unit is.

I had to adjust the "carburator" cables twice to get it just right (under the gas tank).

Any questions?
Sounds like a great project but....

As the man said,

This post is worthless without pics :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great project but....As the man said,

This post is worthless without pics :rolleyes:

halle_berry_wallpaper_02.jpg

There ya go now.

I completed the installation of the McCruise Control on my '08 FJR, it took me about 16 hours and cost $750 USD. I am not an expert mechanic, I would rate myself an average do-it-yourself that's a bit on the slow but sure side. I purchased the kit made specifically for my bike which included a harness (called a loom by the Aussies) with all the wires cut to the right length and with the appropriate connectors - I didn't have to cut any wires. The servo unit installs under the rider's seat, the computer install by the tail light under the passenger seat. The installation required removing the gas tank and the left and right panels on the sides below the seat. If I were to do it again I could do it in half the time.
I love an electronic cruise control, I had one on my previous bike and knowing I could do this to the FJR was an important factor in my purchase. I consider this the most important accessory added to my bike.

Any questions?

Ron
Yeah, can you ride out to California and install one on mine?

I have pictures, I don't know how to attach them to my message. I only have those pictures in my computer, I don't have them posted anywhere on the internet.

Ron

Yep, looks pretty much like the installation on my '08. The only difficult part was attaching the throttle cable to the throttle linkage. I made life much easier by removing the airbox and associated throttle body boots to gain easy access to the linkage. This only takes about 10 minutes with the fuel tank off.

It's a very clean and well integrated kit, IMHO.

Great job, very professional. I won't have to ask questions about this install now. Thanks! Bookmarking this thread.