Melted dash.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratman

Reaction score
In need of help again. Came home from work put the kickstand down, it was in gear so the engine stopped (bad habit I have) only this time I for got to turn the key off. Neighbors were there started talking any way, went to get back on after about an hour to an hour and a half. The battery was dead, started to take the covers off to put my charger on and noticed the dash had melted in the lower right hand corner under the LCD. Charged the battery over night put the panels back on. Started it and every thing works perfect. But looking I think the plastic is disfigured enough that rain water might get under the LCD cover and short some thing else out.

Any ideal would be appreciated and grammar is not my strengths, I was playing when I should have been paying attention….

Glen

Time for warranty repairs. FJR's have been known to melt dashes in the sun. Do a search for MELTED DASH or something to that effect, and you'll get lots of hits.

Seems I remember that Yamaha will replace your "dash" ONCE, depending on how the dealer sees your bike farkled.

In need of help again. Came home from work put the kickstand down, it was in gear so the engine stopped (bad habit I have) only this time I for got to turn the key off.
Why is it a bad habit to put the kickstand down with it in gear??? I always leave mine in gear when I put the stand down. I want it to be in gear when it is sitting still so it won't roll forward and fall if it gets a minor push. :blink:

I believe he was referring to the concept of dropping the kickstand to kill the engine. When the bike is running and in gear, putting down the kickstand will hit the kill switch.

I feel that if I park the bike in a spot that it might roll. I will stop bike, in netual, turn off key,put kick stand down, and then put bike in gear again. And then I might even roll the bike forward or back until the slop is out of the drivetrain.

That, depends on which way it might roll.