Merry Christmas from St. Augustine FL

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a 5 year break in riding, I picked up a 2004 model a few months ago. Went through my usual used bike checks and inspections, disassembling most of the bike, addressing immediate issues and making a list of things that needed fixing down the road. For an older motorcycle that appeared to be neglected (and prolly kept outside), I was impressed with its performance all things considered.

After completing my inspections/repairs and reassembling, I rode over to get some fresh gas in the tank (gas station approx. 1/2 mile away), and the bike again, rode really nice for a 1/4 mile or so, but then it sputtered one time, ran a bit and shut off. I immediately thought I had run out of gas, as it would crank but not start. So walked home got my fuel can, and added fuel. The bike still would not start, but then I cranked the throttle wide open and it fired up, running rough as all get out, almost like one of the cylinders wasn't firing or something. Very strange. If I let off the throttle, it would stall, like it wasn't getting any fuel and there was no idle to speak of.

So I somehow managed to ride the bike over to the gas station, filled the tank, and again with wide-open throttle, the bike started. As I rode home, the bike seemed to clear out and run smooth, like maybe a fuel line or injector was clogged but now free, so I took a longer way home, and again, it sputtered one time and stalled... this time however I knew to keep the throttle wide open to start it and just nursed it on back home.

I now have some time to go back through what all I did previously to insure a fuse is not blown or one of those connectors did not separate on my ride to the gas station... I have reviewed many of your threads here and it seems there's talk about a TPS being a problem as well as Fuel Pumps and clogged injectors.

I've since taken the fuel pump apart and the inside filter seems to be ok, and it appears to pump fuel through the fuel line when power is engaged and the tank appears rust-free as well, not what I expected to see.

Would appreciate any insights or thoughts you all might have regarding anything else I might check on the bike. BTW, the LCD screen is burned out so any engine codes or Diag features, if any, are not visible. You might say I'm flying blind as far as that goes...

Thanks for reading my post and any insights you might be able to offer... Hope you all had a great and relaxing Christmas!