Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammercom

Reaction score
I know some folks on this forum has gone to the "Dark side" running I believe a 205 tire that fits the FJR.. My buddy has a gold wing with these Metzeler tire with high mileage results. Has any one run the Metzeler 888 Marathon Ultra tie 200/55-17 tire? Metzeler Marathon Ultra is not made a 180 or 190 for our regular size on the FJR. I still like to go around corners rather than those "Dark siders" so handling is a question/problem with that fat of a tire. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2008 FJR ABS

Darkside isn't that bad at cornering...

Haven't tried that Metzler on an FJR and haven't heard of anyone using a 200 size MC tire on an FJR. I am guessing that it wouldn't provide great traction but I suppose it depends on what sort of roads you are riding. It is meant for a heavy cruiser, not a sport-tourer...

I ran 3 sets of Metzler ME880 with rear a 170/60ZR-17 and would get between 12-14K out of a rear, but then tried a Pilot Road and only got 8-9K, paid a little less, but the performance was so much better I never went back to the Metzlers. I only went to the 880 for the higher mileage. They quit making that size in the ME880. They were Z rated too, I ran a set at PIR for about 10-12 laps at my max speed after a couple laps. They worked okay, but the Pilot Roads felt much better. Although I liked the PR-3s the most(PR1-4s), I still run PR-2s (bought 2 rears at Walmart for $108 ea. and only 1.5 years old) discontinued now (again).