Metzeler Roadtec 01 Comments

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapest

Reaction score
Way back in 2019 I posted tire comments about Dunlop Roadsmart's, and promised a future look at Road 5 and Roadtec's.
Here
Then COVID came along and well you know.
Fast forward to now - my current tires are a pr of about to be replaced Roadtecs.
These tires have about 12,500 km's (~7700 miles)
Frt - has about 3mm of tread left.
RoadtecFrt.JPG
Rr - has about 4.5mm of tread left
RoadtecRr.JPG
Most of the mileage has ben day to day commuting, a few trips of a week or less. One up only, I would consider my riding style as easy on tires. Pressures have been 40/42, watched pretty closely.
The frt is starting to do something funky, but nothing like past Michelin's.
(The Road 5's that took me home from Ottawa (see past post above) lasted about 9000 km's with the usual (for me) frt cupping)
I like these tires a lot, they lasted longer than any Road family tire I have used, they are great in the rain, and cheaper than Michelins as well.
I am replacing these with the 'HWM' variant. Taking a long trip to Key West. Will see if 'HWM' adds anything.

-Steve

Last edited:
looks to be 10k miles would be doable. For the future I will keep this in mind. Presently have recent install of Roadsmart 4

Unsurprising news . . . .
I have learned that Metzler is replacing (superseding?) 01's with 01 SE.
01 rears (in our size) already sold out in Canada.

-Steve

I am replacing these with the 'HWM' variant. Taking a long trip to Key West. Will see if 'HWM' adds anything.
The HWM’s are on the bike. 4.5mm tread depth on the frt, and 6mm on the rr.
First impressions -
they dont follow cracks or tar snakes
small road imperfections are felt less than the non HWM’s
larger imperfections felt with a shorter duration ‘jolt’
-Steve

9000 miles later
C89D95B0-E53D-4872-AA15-A1C8246B87CA.jpeg
There is a ridge in the center, more pronounced on the left side than the right. Perhaps the very center of the tire has a harder compound? About 3mm of tread depth.
66B64036-0F44-4B31-AB3B-854E0723B91E.jpeg
The rear, as usual for me, has plenty of life left, and even wear across. About 4mm of tread depth now.
Didnt really encounter enough wet weather yet to say how great or not these tires are in rain. The front is getting louder, enough that I can hear it at city speeds.
I know this is completely subjective, but these do not feel as planted as the Road 5’s. Still, they survived the Pig Trail and the Tail of the Dragon with ease.
-Steve

hiya folks. finally joined the forum.

you guys are making me jealous with the amount of miles/k's you're getting out of a set of tyres. I'm running Bridgestone T31 on rear and T32 on front. My previous front flat sided left and right like someone took a file to it at 45 degrees. Both front and rear had chewed off the trailing edge of each tread on both left and right sides.

I researched causes and adjusted rebound on front which helped reduce trailing edge tearing for the next set. The back well, it's still doing it. Pressures are 40/42. I don't do many highway miles so the centers seem reasonable but still quite worn. I'm not a hoon but not a cruiser either - ages has gotten to me.

Here's the kicker. I'm lucky to get 4000K out of a set which is getting very expensive. The current set are >1/2 way through their life and I've done just shy of 3000K.

I live in a sub-tropical part of Australia (Near the Queensland border) and I'm thinking maybe these tyres get too soft in the heat up here. Roughly 40% of my riding is 2 up with my 10yr old daughter and I'm not carrying much luggage - mostly empty panniers.

Open to suggestions if anyone can give me tips what tyres to try next or anything else. My sports bikes in the 90's with soft compound and ahem "enjoyed riding style" lasted circa 4000k but I'm not riding like that anymore, I'm quite mature and responsible now.

Glad I've found you folks. I'm a bit bike mad now owning a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 classic, CBR250r for my teenaged son that I um..enjoy a bit too much, CB500X (recently sold) and a duke 390 and of course, my pride and joy Gen 4 FJR1300.

Cheers

Chris

High temperatures and road surface make a big difference. In some places, they use a paving material called chip seal which shreds tires. Essentially crushed rock embedded in tar... traditional asphalt or concrete are a lot kinder towards the rubber. Other than that, tire pressure and riding habits - braking/acceleration/twisty roads/weight loading.

its probably a combo of all of those things. I'll have to look into the compounds and go for something harder. The bridgestones have been great in handling and sticking so don't really want to give them up. A set in Oz is roughly $700, not cheap when you do that twice a year.

What are you running on yours Ross?

its probably a combo of all of those things. I'll have to look into the compounds and go for something harder. The bridgestones have been great in handling and sticking so don't really want to give them up. A set in Oz is roughly $700, not cheap when you do that twice a year.

What are you running on yours Ross?
I am currently running Bridgestone T32GT and they are holding up quite well. Better than earlier versions of that tire. I think the "GT" makes a difference in longevity. In the past, I have run a bunch of different tires - most recently a few sets of the Dunlop Roadsmart III. Reasonably priced and moderate treadlife. I currently have a set of the (relatively) new Roadsmart IV to go on the bike next. They are more expensive but are supposed to last longer...