Metzeler Roadtec 01 Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have received this email.

Hi Richard,

You participated in becoming a road tester for the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tire. We selected you as one of ten!

Please confirm your shipping address. The ETA for the tires is June. Let me know if you can install these on your FJR right away and start putting miles on them.

Sincerely,

Florian Neuhauser

Managing Editor

RoadRUNNER Magazine

One of the better reviews I've come across so far as most have been essentially press releases:
https://www.motorcycle.com/products/metzeler-roadtec-01-tire-review?utm_medium=display&utm_source=relatedscout&utm_content=title-3

I don't ride in the wet a lot but if I did, these may be the best. Don't know if they'll last as long as the PR3/4s either. Anyone considering these soon?
That is a good review all the way around. I may have to try a set on the Yammy when the need arises. Thanks for posting!

Nice review. Can't wait to get my front in HWT, I was told I'd get it early May. Right when it stops to rain around :-D Unfortunately my PR3 is already overdue for an exchange.

I have received this email. Hi Richard, You participated in becoming a road tester for the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tire. We selected you as one of ten! Please confirm your shipping address. The ETA for the tires is June. Let me know if you can install these on your FJR right away and start putting miles on them. Sincerely, Florian Neuhauser Managing Editor RoadRUNNER Magazine
I KNEW I should have kept my RoadRUNNER subscription up! Dang it! Good for you man, Maybe they will post a write up about your experience with the tires?

I've had 3 FJRs. 2 with ~50K miles. So I've run most of the popular "sport-touring" tires over the years including Avons, Metzeler, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Dunlop. Based on those experiences as well as that MCN review, I'm going with the RoadTecs 01s this time around. I like how the overall ratings were explained; I'm looking for more of the "sport" feel & performance in the "sport-tour" spectrum. Should still get decent mileage too. Doesn't rain much in SoCal so rain performance is not a concern...

Side note: was surprised that the PS4s were in last place in the MCN review while so popular here. Well, felt like last place but actually explained as leaning toward the "touring" side. I had PS2's and changed them before due...at times they were slippery/greasy. Very disconcerting. I was tempted to try PSs again, but I've read a couple comments that some riders felt the same thing with slippery/greasy feel with PS4s (including a Sport Rider review). No thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost a year ago I was hoping to put these on but permanent delays in delivery made me go PR4 GT instead. Now again I'm looking to replace my front (just front for the moment) and I'm curious if anybody has any experience with these so far? How is their first hand performance, life range, wear, wet road behavior?

I have the same question about the Metzeler's 01 my PR4'S are comeing to a well deserved rest im going replace them with the Metzelers I will post a review on how thay perform in the florida heat.

I have been using them, and love them. I have had better mileage and wear over the pr4's. I ride every day and I'm on my second set. I do use the heavy weight model. My first set went 2000 miles more and I did not ride them all the way down.

I have 7958 miles on a set, fairly equal proportions of interstate droning to mtn road curves. Some cupping on front tire after a full day of 30mph crosswinds in New Mexico. They are not worn out yet but the rear is close. The bike is new to me so I can't tell you how they compare to other brands, and I don't ride super hard when I am on unfamiliar roads, but they seem to have plenty of adhesion.

Last edited by a moderator: