Metzeler Z8 -- Which Spec?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Flyer

Reaction score
Metzeler lists different specs for both the front and rear Z8's on the >2013 FJR1300A. (They don't list the ES versions at all but I think they would be the same.) For the front they list an (M) spec, and one without a designation. For the 180/55 rear they show a © and an (O) spec. I sent a query to the company over a week ago, called their US "customer service" line and emailed them a few days ago with no response. The response from a Yamaha dealer was "We don't sell those." And yes, I tried a search here on the forum!

I loved them on the K1200GT and, after 5k miles, I love them on my FJR. But, which are the right ones for the bike and what is the difference?

Hi there. In my past experience with Metzelers, I've selected the O spec tire for the rear on my Gen 1 FJR - for the stronger sidewall and load capacity.

I also liked the Z8 on my BMW RS and have stuck with them for the feel. Metzler has poor info, won't return quearies but I found Revzilla designates the "O" for heavier bikes, maybe a slightly harder center compound. I went with the M on both rear replacements, lighter bike but either are within spec.

If I were bombing across Texas in summer heat with a full load and passenger I would go with the HD version, the M spec has lasted 4-5000 and felt great until the end of life as did the O.

Thanks. Looks like I will be going with the same ones as on the BMW, which are the same as the BMW dealer put on my FJR.

This is what my go to tire place website shows:

• Rear 180/55ZR17 C- Spec. 2 plies Rayon for improved stability. Yamaha FJR 1300; BMW R1200R/RT
  • Rear 180/55ZR17 M Spec. Dual Compound. All brands, all models
  • Rear 180/55ZR17 O Spec. Dual Compound, 2 Plies carcass.
  • Rear 190/50ZR17 M Spec. Dual Compound. All brands, all models
  • Rear 190/50ZR17 O Spec. Dual Compound, 2 Plies carcass.
  • Rear 190/55ZR17 C Spec . 2 plies Rayon for improved stability. BMW K1600 GT/GTL
Now, what the difference between the C and O spec is is anyone's guess....I'm guessing the C spec is heavier duty than the O spec, given that the K16 uses it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all new to me. I was used to the B spec being the heavier, stiffer side wall tire for the FJR.

GP

Last edited by a moderator: