Metzler RoadTec Interact Z8

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
Metzler RoacTec Interact Z8

I like them enough to spell "tire" their way.

:)

Four(4) questions prevail in tire evaluations:

Q1. How much do they cost?

Q2. How well do they handle?

Q3. How long do they last?

Q4. How well did they handle before you found out how long they last?

A1. Scratch Q-1 because they cost about the same as any other comparable brand.

A2. Initial test conditions were 72-78F, dry roads, mostly behaving (me, not the tires).

My first impression was how well they roll when cold. There's almost NO discernible change in handling from 70-ish to full operating temps. Impressive!

The first leg of testing was simply warm-up and scrubbing them in. Roughly 45 miles with some moderate curves and several miles of rough road conditions. At this stage the Z8s are reminiscent of partially-worn Stradas. Not super-quick, not sluggish, but needing that little extra "push" that's mostly accomplished with some added thigh muscle.

Once TestLeg-1 was completed, I let them cool down (while stuffing my face) and then set out to push the new hoops a bit more. Again, no noticeable change in handling from ambient cold to 20 miles later.

I found some gnarly tar snakes in a decent sweeper and rolled into the lean. The front gave me one little skip crossing an extremely wide snake of a foot or more, but the others rolled right under me without raising a fang.

Next I throttled into a short section of well-known test track that has a 6-7 turn sequence of fairly tights. I purposely over-charged the first corner and grabbed a whole handful of front brake. No skip, no fuss, although again it took more thigh pressure to make her roll over into my favorite position.

Regardless of how much lean angle I choose, the Z8s react surprisingly linear. In fact that's about the best way I know to describe what they do best... LINEAR. You do not get the aim&fire transition felt from many other brands. At brand spankin' new, they feel so much like a pair of barely broken-in Stradas that it's scary!

A3. No idea yet.

A4. See A3 above.

Looseleaf observations (aka Random Thoughts)...

* I'm running the "C" spec rear. It had no balance marks that I could find. I was pissed! The front had red marks that were easy to find. Perhaps by chance, perhaps by design, the rear required extremely little weight, and the front wasn't bad either. This must be the point where some marketing rep says... "The C-spec rear is manufactured with especially tight tolerances, so that no balance mark is required." And I cough smoke... :)

* Mounting the rear was a bear! I thought a Dunlop RoadSmart held the record for tough tire mounting, but the Z8 is knocking on the door for first place. Not a bad thing, just a thing.

* I like the little "directional elephants" that show rotation. Comes in handy.

* If recently you've been running the tried&true Angel front/RoadSmart rear combo, and you've recently re-worked suspension and found yourself adjusting to the quicker steering inputs... You might want to spoon on a set of Z8s. They will instantly transform you to a more "nostalgic" steering input. I'm going to have to re-learn, what I just re-learned, in order to re-learn how to handle the Z8s with confidence. It's not a bad thing at all, just different. At my advanced age and deteriorating wits, re-learning takes a little extra time.

Overall I'm happy so far. I've never experienced a set of tires on the FJR that rolled off the driveway with so much of the same handling as when rolling back in. I've never felt a set of FJR tires handle so "linear" throughout the envelope. (Although I have NOT been past the 70% mark with them yet.)

The Z8s hold promise. We'll see what happens after Q3 & Q4 are answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
About three weeks ago I mounted up the Z8. Three days later the wife and I left on a 1100 mi. trip. I was instantly impressed with how much less input was needed when cornering. Im not sure if it is that much better than the Z6, or the Z6 was just tired(7200mi.), either way I luv em!!. We pushed pretty hard running the Dragon and Rt 28 with no issues. Great tires so far.

Thanks for taking one for the team and being the guinea pig test mule for us Jeff. Looking forward to comments regarding Q3 and Q4.

My '06 came with Z6's and I didn't have any complaints other than they were toast at 6800 miles.

Have fun wringing the new tires out!

--G

Do they finally have tread going across the center of the rear of the tire? That's always been the deal killer for me. With previous interations, you never really knew how much tire you had left. They are looking good, then bam! Cords showing.

A quick update at 2,000 miles...

Tires took a hard beating last week with over 1,000 miles, fully-loaded and two-up, across rough roads, super-tight twisties, Cherohala Skyway red-lined in 3rd gear, hours upon hours of 95F slab time, even ran the Appalachian Trail. Yes! The freakin' Appalachian Trail on a FJR! :D

Never had a set of tires remain so consistent from start to half-life. The only time they showed any signs of age was one particularly cool morning after sitting all night in upper 40s temps. But by the time we rolled down the street and filled the gas tank, the tires were rolling with authority.

Handling remains consistent, requiring a bit more steering effort than the Angel/RoadSmart combo I typically run, but certainly nothing excessive. Traction has been solid, rock solid. There was one particular time running a section of tar snakes where the front consistently stepped off the snakes, and even did a tiny bar wobble once. But that was just one particular stretch of road that had massive tar snakes running parallel with the lane direction and it was HOT. All the other tar snake sections I've tested have been no problem whatsoever.

For anyone who cares about gravel... the stiffer cord of the "C-spec" seems to work against you on gravel. The Z8 front is particularly prone to dig-in on deeper gravel and will wash the front a bit quicker than other brands. I assume that's due to a combination of the tread pattern and stiffer cord design.

Balance remains dead-on. Profile/tire-wear remains dead-on, with NO misshaping of the profile. The typical right side wear seen when running the FJR hard and heavily loaded, has not shown up on the front. Neither the front or rear have developed any unusual flat spotting down the center.

Overall, I give these Z8's a big :thumbsup: at the halfway mark. And I say "halfway mark", because I typically get 3,400 miles out of an Angel/RoadSmart combo.

Thanks for the update.

Looking at the Diablo's they will be swapped for the Metz upon my return trip from Florida this weekend.

I have put 6k miles on them, but don't know how many miles the Diablo's truly have because they were on the bike

when I bought it.

The Metz I had on the 04' yielded over 8k front and more on the rear. I am really looking forward to the Metz.

Although, I will not be riding heavy loaded, 2up on a trail; just highway miles.

Info much appreciated. I just pasted 9,000 mi on my oem Z6s and been considering what to get when the time comes and was a bit worried as others report how quickly they can go away. :unsure:

Do they finally have tread going across the center of the rear of the tire?
What?

Everybody afraid to answer this simple question?

It appears, from the pictures on the Metzler site, that there are overlapping tread grooves across the center of the tire and out to the edges.

Dan
No.
Down the exact center of the tire, although there are some wavy line tread grooves that run left/right they do not

overlap the center line of the tire. Front or rear. There is approx. 1/2-3/4 center rubber of no tread grooves.

Hopes that helps, a little trip to the attic was all it took.

Thanks. Bummer. I hate those kind of tires. The presence of belt always come unexpectedly.
No kidding at a little over 4000 miles I thought I would run my Z6s to CFO next weekend before trying out the PR3s. Although the front looked like I might be pushing it a bit, I never gave the rear a thought other than seeing it was slightly squared off in the middle. Washed the bike Friday and surprise, the center of the tread showed signs that cords were close to exposing themselves. Had to test out Motosport.coms claim of three day delivery on set of PR3s for $299.00. Scheduled to arrive Tuesday, installed Wednesday and CFO Thursday. Hope the plan all falls together.

Thanks. Bummer. I hate those kind of tires. The presence of belt always come unexpectedly.
I never liked that type of tire either.

I went to the Rock Store today and Metzler was there having their tires tested by people on the motorcycle industry. One of the Rider magazine editors (I forgot his name) was testing the Z8's on a GT1600 and he just raved about the tire. Of course the tires were like new and he couldn't make any predictions on tire life, he did think they would wear well.

He was wearing the all new Aerostich Roadcrafter Lightweight suit. Looked real nice but not as heavy looking as the old one and its 100% waterproof.

Yea, he loved the GT1600 too.

Thank you HaulinAshe for the info on the Z8. I ordered mine today and hope to have it mounted up before the end of the week. Hope it wears well.

I agree, my old favorite Strada rear was notorious for showing belt quickly and unexpectedly. But the Metzler Z8 shows the promise of less surprise.

The center contact area appears to be running approximately 30mm wide. Of that 30mm, 10mm on each side is occupied by sweeping tread pattern that includes a wear indicator at the inner end of the groove. There is a short length(4mm) of full depth tread at the very end of the pattern. So you should be able to clearly see the tread depth indicator wear flush.

I'm now approaching the typical tread life of a Dunlop RoadSmart on this first set of Z8s. The tread wear indicators are roughly 3-4mm away from contact. Time will tell how easy they are to spot when EndOfLife is reached.

I've only got about 500 miles on my new set of Z8's, but I can report a little about them.

This is the fifth set of tires I have had on the bike, and all the previous sets have been Z6's. All the Z6 sets had at least 10K miles on them before I replaced them, and a couple of sets had 12K. As that kind of mileage attests, I don't ride the streets as I might on a race track.

Even so, the Z8's certainly feel different than the Z6's to which I had become accustomed. I have difficulty describing the difference. They seem to hold whatever line they are put in better, and may be easier to put there. It is as though I can feel the centrifugal force of the tires more as they roll, but their cross sectional profile contributes to easier tilting. I suspect that some of that feeling may be because they are new, and some of it may result from the fork oil change I had the shop do when they mounted the tires. Heck, that's about the best I can do to describe it.

Of course I can't speak to mileage at this early point, but for now, I'll give the Z8's a thumbs-up. WBill