metzler roadtec z6

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and, most important, Miller Lite may be less filling, but, Bud Lite tastes great. :p
Awright fukker, that does it, now I'm throwin down!!!!!!!!!! Wait, I don't even drink........ :D

I have mixed feelings on whether I should put up that picture that says 'arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded'. Sorry, not the most politically correct statement, but, it's funny to me.
I tried to stay on the context of the thread (except for the post that had to be made to make sure everyone knows I'm not Silver Bullet's father). The original poster said he had Pilot Roads and that he likes the Z6 better. Me too. He then went to Z6 and then was wondering how it will wear and I was simply trying to share my experiences since I, too, had Pilot Roads and like the Z6 better and was telling him how it wore for me.

You shared your experiences, too. That's cool. I wasn't trying to be a dick (difficult for me sometimes) when I stated the differences, I was just stating my experiences. Throwin down? Hardly. Z6s seem to be OK for some (and the posts about tire failure are well documented) and not for others. Super. Avons seem to be OK for some and some don't like them and some complain about the wobble. Again, that's cool and you can't dispute the fact that there isn't 1 'best tire'.

Jeez, man! A) I agree, skooter's Olympic retard picture/quote is hilarious. B ) You do realize it was ME posting, right? 3) I'm glad you have much love for the Z6, but clean off the sticky stuff. Looks bad rolling down the road. 4) Miller Lite and Bud Lite? Are those new flavored waters or sumpin'? E) The Benevolent Dictator said The Best Tire for the FJR is the Avon, so :bleh: !!! F) There is no 6th thing...

Peace, love, marijuana dope tree!

-Floppin' on Metzelers, somewhere in SoCal... TWN

My neighbor's cousin's friend's uncle can beat up your neghbor's cousin's friends' uncle, so, don't try to mess with me.

(not so) Seriously...I knew that if this got into a 'whats the best tire' thread, y'all would pounce on it like a hundred prisoners who stumbled upon a paralyzed Pamela Anderson. I wasn't trying to make a case for the tires (don't knock the sticky stuff - I need all the help I can get in the twistys), I was just agreeing with Silver Bullet's synopsis and was trying to give him an expectation as to the lifespan he might be able to expect.

If you haven't noticed, I'm trying for the record for the most posts to defend a post, so, give me some ammo.

Now that I have all of that stupid bullshit out of the way, gimme the juice on your elephant shit tires. Any significant suspension changes or mods? What air pressure? Did you do the Motoman break in? (doh! stupid lapse of judgement) Were most of the miles in the twisties or out on the open road? My last set didn't triangulate - they got flat across the centers - both front and rear. So bad that it wouldn't turn in unless I coaxed it by telling it I'll give it a Power Commander and custom map for Christmas. (psst - don't tell 'er. She thinks I stood by my word and now she won't keep the front end on the ground)

Lessee, my neighbor's cousin's friend's uncle is dead, so you're prolly right. :D

I do about 50/50 slab to twisties. That's cuz I usually have to slab it to get to the twisties. I am not an aggressive rider, I prefer to call my style, 'safely quick'. I run the Wilbers front and rear and have them set on fairly firm settings - I prefer a 'tight' suspension over a cush one. Riding weight is prolly 220 - 225 with all my gear on plus I suppose about 10 lbs of crap that I typically haul around in my tank bag. Side cases are seldom on cuz all of the LA 10 broads who chase after me to find out who sewed the bag bras... Tires are maintained at 40/42 F/R cold. Heat adds about 3 - 4 lbs to those numbers.

The Z4's did triangulate, but only at much higher mileage (9,000, IIR) and didn't exhibit the same tendency to flop as do the 6's. I looked at the front tonight when I got home and there is way less tread on the sides of the triangle as compared to the top, which I suppose, makes sense...

Still, can't wait to Kohlerize 'em...

Lessee, my neighbor's cousin's friend's uncle is dead, so you're prolly right.
Not him, your other neighbor.

I guess the only theory I have on what you mention is, due to the stiffer settings, the tire is taking a little more of a beating. When the force is exerted to the front end, instead of the suspension traveling, the force is taking the least path of resistance which would be the rubber on the tire. Then again, I could be full of shit - certainly wouldn't be the first time.

I use a fully stock suspension and have it set just a tad firmer than the OEM settings. I, too, run a conservatively quick pace and usually have more weight towards the rear of the bike when hitting the twisties. I run around 41-42 in the front. I'd be carrying 220 if I rode naked, but, then everyone would call me a squid, so, I throw on some gear to protect my ugliness. I tend to have the back end weighted down more than normal cause I'm a worry-wort packrat and the side cases are usually pretty full.

I tend to have the back end weighted down more than normal cause I'm a worry-wort packrat and the side cases are usually pretty full.
So, what yer sayin' is that your front wheel rarely touches the ground? ;) :D

I tend to have the back end weighted down more than normal cause I'm a worry-wort packrat and the side cases are usually pretty full.
So, what yer sayin' is that your front wheel rarely touches the ground? ;) :D
and I thought it was just my mad riding skills :megashock:

Lessee, my neighbor's cousin's friend's uncle is dead, so you're prolly right. :D
I do about 50/50 slab to twisties. That's cuz I usually have to slab it to get to the twisties. I am not an aggressive rider, I prefer to call my style, 'safely quick'. I run the Wilbers front and rear and have them set on fairly firm settings - I prefer a 'tight' suspension over a cush one. Riding weight is prolly 220 - 225lbs of crap with all my gear on plus I suppose about 10 lbs of that I typically haul around in my tank bag. Side cases are seldom on cuz all of the LA 10 broads who chase after me to find out who sewed the bag bras... Tires are maintained at 40/42 F/R cold. Heat adds about 3 - 4 lbs to those numbers.

The Z4's did triangulate, but only at much higher mileage (9,000, IIR) and didn't exhibit the same tendency to flop as do the 6's. I looked at the front tonight when I got home and there is way less tread on the sides of the triangle as compared to the top, which I suppose, makes sense...

Still, can't wait to Kohlerize 'em...
Repaired free of charge...........

You go lay in the street and start bleedin'.......I'll be there in due course..... :aarambo:

Rad's last words...

sma0023l.jpg

:bye:

The only thing that might have made this thread funnier is if WC had actually added his 2 cents. :D thanks for the excelent read.

I like my Avons. They ride fine and have lasted more than triple the stock BFG's . Well, I have a feeling a tire can feel better than the avons. I think I'll try something else...trying to decide between the

Z6

Pilot Road

Pirelli

Decisions, Decisions. I know each brand will have fans and those not so fond of them. I guess I'll just have to guess myself.

I like my Avons. They ride fine and have lasted more than triple the stock BFG's . Well, I have a feeling a tire can feel better than the avons. I think I'll try something else...trying to decide between the
Z6

Pilot Road

Pirelli

Decisions, Decisions. I know each brand will have fans and those not so fond of them. I guess I'll just have to guess myself.
I'm fixin' to try a Michelin up front now that my Pirelli is getting thin. $99.00 shipped also sounds like a pretty good deal, but I haven't dealt with these people before. No complaints with the front Pirelli, just checking out some variety.

With 4000 mi.on my first set of Avons after killing 2 sets of Z 6's in less than 7500 miles, I am getting good wear on the rear, but the front is triangulating and about done for. Looks like I'll get 2 front to a rear, better than 2 fronts and 2 rears like the Metze's...neither MEZ6 or the Avon cup on the front, Stones were horrible..

It's a combination of my hard riding style, a heavy bike, granular mountain roads, and I think the long periods between stops (avg. 2 hours) might also accelerate tire wear as they run hot longer.

Question: I have been happy running tire pressures at 38F/40R - I wonder if adding a couple of pounds each would help or not...?

At $229.00 shipped from sowestmoto, it's hard to consider switcing from the Avon's to another tire that the forum recurring experts think is better...

Last edited by a moderator: