Michelin Pilot Road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just recived the p/r by u.p.s need to find a shop that can put thme on without me waiting a goddam week . was at a shop today guy said the bike will be ready in 2 hrs. he calls me 1 1/2 hrs. later well so and so is not in yet he should be here any minute bla bla bla. i say i going to pick the bike up with the tires . he just called will be here in 15 minutes . ok i will be there in 2 hrs. pull up to the shop walk in the shop theres the bike no new wheels guy says sorry he never showed up . never showed up whats he on a bender this is bullshit . i put the tires in my wifes van and head home . i was going to go up to the mountains today and test out the new rubber . yea right . maybe next week . also called the shop i purchased the bike from maybe thursday this is bullshit i want to go out and buy a tire changer and balancing machine . lets see 100 bucks to change the tires and balance them 2 sets per year ...... how much is a changer and balanceing machine?

@zorkler,

I feel your pain, man.

May I suggest getting some tools and doing it for yourself? The first time is a little daunting, but it really is not that hard. I just put on a new set of Pilot Roads today that have been in the garage for a couple of weeks waiting for me to have the time to do it. With my limited time to do projects right now, it is super nice to be able to take a leisurely couple of hours to change and balance my own tires.

You won't regret not paying someone for the priviledge of wasting your time anymore, plus, I figure I save at least $100.00 (usually more) each time I change a set over local rates.

Recent tire opinions on the FJR--

Stock Bridgestones: approx. 9,000 miles, no handling issues, slight cupping on front tire, didn't bother me. Would use these again.

Avon 45/46 combo: approx. 8,000 miles, great handling in corners, very responsive to inputs, 1/8 inch chicken strips on the rear, handlebar shake on decel through 45-30 mph, which got progressively worse as wear increased, and would also occur at steady throttle with cruise at about 40 mph, rear needed too much weight to balance for my tastes. Probably won't use these again, due to the peculiar front-end handling characteristics.

--Pilot Road initial review--: 8 miles, very little weight needed to balance, front end feels neutral once again, slower steering than the Avons, looking forward to developing more opinion miles.

YMMV,

Shane

so whats the cost of the machine and the changer also space is an issue in the garage i have . thanks mike

Hey again,

The "machine" is nothing more than an old car rim, some threaded rod, tire irons, small blocks of wood, valve core tool, a bead breaker, a balancing tool, some weights, a Sharpie, Duct tape, and the occasional helping hand from a friend or even my wife.

By far the most expensive component is the wife :haha:

Space is also an issue for me, in that I refuse to have anything taking up garage floor space that doesn't have wheels. The components break down to nothing, and the only evidence left is a permanent hole in my workbench where the car wheel is secured while using it.

Seriously, here is a link to the site that has been the most instructive to me: This is helpful

The bead breaker, weights, valve core tool and balancing tool all came from Aerostich, This is a page to get you started

Total outlay of cash need not exceed $200.00, and some folks make do with less, but I think it's worth it to get a good bead breaker, and a quality balancing tool, especially since your friends will be envious. Also, do yourself a favor when learning to balance with a static balancer; go to a race track on a club day and watch the guys at the tire tents. I can now reliably balance a tire in just a few minutes, after having learned the tricks of the trade. One doesn't have to wait endlessly for the tire to stop spinning.....

Good luck,

Shane

Man we in canada have it sweet! The local bike supply shop changes tire and balances for $10.00 I was scratching my head with all this talk of changing tires yourselves....that is an emergency or track situation for me...but $100 for a pair!!! yikes