Michelin Road 5 vs Road 5 GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in a back in forth with a riding friend over the use of the Road 5 vs Road 5 GT. I have been using PR 4's (non GT) for the past two sets. I have been getting 12K miles consistently and have had no issues. I ride one up only and am a moderately aggressive rider. I recently purchased a set of Road 5 non GT's and my friend claims this tire is not made for the FJR. He refers to the Michelin web site that states the GT is required for the FJR.

I have read various reviews and it seems the Road 5 has redesigned tread to provide better wet road traction and the rubber compound is modified to improve traction. There is no mention the skeletal structure has changed. I am not a heavy person (150lbs) and I only ride solo. Is there any reason to feel I need to use GT tires?

I don't think there's a Road 5 GT avaiable yet and they suggest you use the 4 GT until/unless they offer one. You can use the non-GT fine and expect increased wear given the less stiff sidewall.

I remember when we had the Pilot Road. No GT.

I remember the Pilot Road2. No GT.

I remember the Pilot Road3. No GT.

I have run the Pilot Road 4 and 4 GT.

I have never had a tire failure. Don't see why we suddenly aren't safe unless we use the GT. I do understand going by the manufacturer's recommendations but if the weight and speed ratings match up...

I’ve got a set of non GT 5’s (and a set of PR4GT’s) in the garage right now. I only use gt’s as extra peace of mind when doing trips two up. That said, I’ve never had a problem from two up riding in non gt tires.

Thanks Ignacio for placing this on the appropriate post. Also , thanks to all for your input on my inquiry. I suspect Michelin is simply being cautious by stating the GT is needed for the FJR as they have opt for the ultimate load factor (two up/heavy load). I believe my skinny ass will be OK on the non GT's!
rolleyes.gif

Too many lawyers in the world make everything a 'liability' for a potential lawsuit.... nuts in the nut bar, coffee may be hot, and bikes may be dangerous...

I love Michelin Tires (exclusively) whether PR2, 3, or 4 and have never bought into the GT kool-aid. They have stiffer sidewalls for supporting higher weight.

I do air them up to the max 42/42 which helps to lower temps and increase support ... and if you can get 12k miles you are better than me. Get the PR5 and be happy!

FWIW, I am 1300 miles in on a set of R5s, and the front has already cupped so that any high speed runs create nearly ultra-sonic vibrations. Not acceptable. I'm heavier, at 214#, and ride mostly twisties aggressively.

I will be going to a Bridgestone front very soon (in the next 1500 miles or so). Ran one last year with a PR4 rear and was very happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I am 1300 mile in on a set of R5s, and the front has already cupped so that any high speed runs create nearly ultra-sonic vibrations. Not acceptable. I'm heavier, at 214#, and ride mostly twisties aggressively.
I will be going to a Bridgestone front very soon (in the next 1500 miles or so). Ran one last year with a PR4 rear and was very happy.
So far, I have not been a fan of ANY Michelin front tires I have run. They get worn to the trapezoidal shape quickly no matter what pressures are maintained. They also get noisy in turns after a couple of thousand miles. I was sort of hoping that the latest iteration of Michelin PR's would be better. (Bridgestone T-30 are better and the Dunlop RS III are better still at keeping their shape, IMHO)

Interesting comment regarding the Bridgestone front tire. I got 9,000 miles on the OEM Bridgestone's and changed only because the rear tire was almost smooth. The front had 3/32 of tread and an even wear pattern. If the new set of R5's produce a bad wear pattern I will revert to Bridgestone front tire. You would think Michelin has been able to remedy this problem.

I have run Michelin (PR2) rear tires with a Bridgestone front (BT-023 or T-30) a couple of times. The PR2 rear isn't too bad but the front is terrible as far as I am concerned.