Mid-October weather in Washington

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
You guys helped me do some planning for a trip to Banff and Washington this summer that never happened because of work. Canada would have been out too because of COVID (Ross correctly warned me last winter) but I still tried to make Washington work to no avail. I have one slight possibility now to make just Washington and Oregon still happen mid October. Is that still ok weather for most of the Washington and Oregon mountain areas?

I think you would be OK. I'm in central Oregon just a little south of Bend on the east side of the mountains. If you get this way and need anything give me a shout.

Hey Goodman, just my $0.03 added here (I'm a Canuck).

In my experience, sometimes the undesired fluffy white stuff develops on these later trips - but it's mostly an altitude thing.

As one example, back in mid-May 2016, a couple buddies and I left Redding CA, headed back north for home. I steered us diagonally, ended up on US 395 - and just south of Alturas (still in Cali), we hit significant snow - due to elevation. We were a bit stunned - perhaps realizing we were slightly more "nooby" than we thought to plan that particular route that time of year.

Have a safe and rewarding fall ride. 

😉

I suppose the Icefields Parkway and Banff is out in mid-Oct, though? We can handle and have good memories from surprise snow in Red Lodge and brief sleet in Colorado's Rocky Mtn National Park. But I don't want to get snowed in somewhere or get caught in a real ice-storm. 

By October all bets are off concerning any western high passes. It should be nice but anything can happen. Your favorite weather app will be your best friend. Usually snow that early is gone in a day or two...usually.

I'm having second thoughts after looking up average highs in most of our spots. They seem to be in the low 40s in many towns and it always is much colder in high areas. We have found we are good starting at around 39 if it warms up a lot. Also we have found we are good going through a pass that drops below 40. But if the high might not get above 42 that could get me in trouble with my passenger.