Midwest Road Trip Suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Flyer

Reaction score
Theresa and I are planning a road trip this summer from home in California to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. First section is across northern Nevada and southern Idaho to Yellowstone. Then it looks like across Wyoming, through South Dakota angling north through Minnesota and Wisconsin to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Have to check out Mackinaw City. (Bob Seger "Roll Me Away".). We don't like freeways, big cities or traffic. We are also not campers! Modest motels are more our style, especially with a good brew pub near by. I've promised Theresa that we will stop and look at things.
rolleyes.gif
Almost forgot, when is the best time of year to make the trip?

Since it looks like a six thousand mile minimum round trip, we will probably need service and tires for our bikes somewhere towards the eastern end, recommendations for service locations will be appreciated. I've already discovered on other trips that a Yamaha dealer may not have much experience with FJR's. One large dealer in northern Idaho said he hadn't seen an FJR before when I took it in for service! Everything in the shop was dirt bikes and UTE's.

Not sure what else to add at this point. We will appreciate any advice. As we get farther along in the planning, we'll update our plans here.

May get to meet some of you for coffee on the way.

If you are going all the way to Mackinaw, you might just as well turn north and circle lake Superior which is an awesome ride.

In the UP, you must ride up to copper harbor near Houghton Michigan. Then east ya gotta ride route 50 and than east towards paradise Michigan where you have to eat at the "berry patch" home of some of the best pie anywhere. In Paradise you should make the trek north to the lighthouse.

Machinaw is cool but touristy. Gotta see it once.

I'd you "do the right thing" and circle Superior, stop in Wawa for a night. Then West across the top of the lake for an epic ride. Some places to see are agwasabon falls, ouimet canyon, etc. Then West towards Duluth with lots to see along the way. Then Duluth to home I would think.

Hit the MRR near McGregor, Iowa and ride it to La Crosse:

Mississippi River Road: Welcome to the Great River Road - Experience Mississippi River

Field of Dreams: Field of Dreams Movie Site (Dyersville) - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

The CFO (if timing is good): CFO 2019 - Dates and place announcement - CFO - FJRForum

Tunnel of Trees: Guide to Michigan's Iconic Tunnel of Trees on M-119 - MyNorth.com

The great lakes are famous for festivals (Pies)

North shore of Lake Superior is beautiful !

you could hit a few of these In your route : 12 best motorcycle roads in America - Matador Network

5, 11, 12

Do a loop route and take a different return trip.

Hot ride around Lake Michigan - Ride Reports - FJRForum

Have a great ride!

Theresa and I are planning a road trip this summer from home in California to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. First section is across northern Nevada and southern Idaho to Yellowstone. Then it looks like across Wyoming, through South Dakota angling north through Minnesota and Wisconsin to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Have to check out Mackinaw City. (Bob Seger "Roll Me Away".). We don't like freeways, big cities or traffic. We are also not campers! Modest motels are more our style, especially with a good brew pub near by. I've promised Theresa that we will stop and look at things.
rolleyes.gif
Almost forgot, when is the best time of year to make the trip?
Since it looks like a six thousand mile minimum round trip, we will probably need service and tires for our bikes somewhere towards the eastern end, recommendations for service locations will be appreciated. I've already discovered on other trips that a Yamaha dealer may not have much experience with FJR's. One large dealer in northern Idaho said he hadn't seen an FJR before when I took it in for service! Everything in the shop was dirt bikes and UTE's.

Not sure what else to add at this point. We will appreciate any advice. As we get farther along in the planning, we'll update our plans here.

May get to meet some of you for coffee on the way.
My wife and I did big trips in 2017 and 2018. Hit Yellowstone both times. Early June in 2017 and Early Sept in 2018. The spring trip was better. Whatever you do, do it while the kids are in school. We spent a couple hours each at Rushmore, Little Big Horn, Wall Drug and The Badlands after leaving Yellowstone and thought it time well spent. That might be a little south of your route. It’s worth carrying passports just to go to Tim Horton’s.

Each of our trips was over 8000 miles. I did an oil change with full synthetic and put on new tires right before the trip and finished the trips on the same oil and tires. That was two up, loaded heavy and pulling a trailer. I might not do that on a bike under warranty, but mine was looooong past warranty. If I did want to service the bike along the way I’d feel more comfortable whipping out the FJR assistance list and mooching off a forum member than rolling into a dealer with no recommendation. Drop in at my place and we’ll get you fixed right up, have a cup of coffee, and turn your map right-side-up.

And oh, yea-Beartooth Pass!

In Wisconsin, stay south and west of I-94 as long as you can, and ride only lettered county roads. Almost any of them will be good, especially the closer you are to the Mississippi River. Many interesting small towns with nice, clean, cheap mom and pop motels. And almost every bar (and there are a LOT of bars in Wisconsin) will have Spotted Cow on tap, which is a rite of passage, and a damn fine beer. LaCrosse is a fun town, and if you stay near downtown, you're within walking distance of many fun and interesting bars. And all the alphabet roads radiating from there are fun. And watch out for deer.

Can't wait to see a trip report. Keep us posted, and ride safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all. Passing this along to Theresa for trip planning, I'm suffering my annual winter cold so have been out of action for a bit.

Two thoughts about this great sounding trip. Yellowstone is a traffic nightmare in the summer--you probably knew this. At 35, strictly enforced by police and traffic, it takes a long time just to get through the park, let alone stopping for sightseeing. If you can plan for that with a reservation in the park, or just outside the gate around either West Yellowstone or Gardiner MT, you could see most of it and not have to rush. Leaving, I'd take the East gate and Hwy 20 to Cody, a beautiful drive and a nice town. In fact, if interested, PM me for the name of a very nice B and B in Cody. You might want to spend at least a day at the Buffalo Bill Museum--it's very cool.

From there, you can ride north on 120 to 296, turn left and it takes you over the Chief Joseph Highway. Follow on to the intersection of US 212. Head east and you'll ride up and down the wonderful Great Beartooth Highway, about the best two connected motorcycle roads ANYwhere.

As to timing, I saw Yellowstone about a week before Memorial Day the first time, and I didn't realize how lucky I was, with both traffic and weather. The traffic was very light and it was clear and warm. For a while. Then it went below freezing and I'm sure snowed on the passes. You can't count on getting through any of them that time of the year. And as for Beartooth and Chief Joseph, they're both very likely to still be closed.

I also wanted to mention South Dakota--beautiful state. Ask Big John about the great roads around Spearfish. I can't direct you for a route, but Vanocur Canyon (guessing on the spelling), Spearfish Canyon, and a road through the Black Hills that I don't remember the name of are not to be missed. He can also tell you about some of the back roads near Mt. Rushmore--Needles Highway for one was great. And on the way into SD, try to go by way of Devil's Tower. Even though there's not much to do there, just standing and looking at it is pretty cool. Have fun!

I also wanted to mention South Dakota--beautiful state. Ask Big John about the great roads around Spearfish. I can't direct you for a route, but Vanocur Canyon (guessing on the spelling), Spearfish Canyon, and a road through the Black Hills that I don't remember the name of are not to be missed. He can also tell you about some of the back roads near Mt. Rushmore--Needles Highway for one was great. And on the way into SD, try to go by way of Devil's Tower. Even though there's not much to do there, just standing and looking at it is pretty cool. Have fun!
BigJohn and SWMBO have hoisted many wayward forumites - When is this big trip scheduled?

BigJohn is going to Alaska between June 10 and July 26 or thereabouts.

If you are coming through either before or after that period plan on staying a night or two.

I'll be glad to ride you around my Black Hills, show you some sights, find a few breweries, change your tires if needed.

If you are coming while I'm gone I'll give you some roads to ride and things to see while you are here.

Let me know. JSNS

Edit: You don't want to be here the last week in July or the first two weeks in August unless you enjoy 500,000 Pirates on Harley Davidsons going below the speed limit on all the good roads.

The UP is a gorgeous area to ride through. You and your wife will love it. I see you have checked out the Riders Assistance list; I'm on it.

As long as your trip doesn't take place during this years IBR, I can offer some mechanical help as well as a place to rest.

As far as riding through Yellowstone is concerned, it's worth the ride even in the summer. The trick is to enter the park before it opens. Just don't tell anyone I told you that. You can always stop on your way out of the park to pay. But riding through there at early dawn is peaceful, tranquil and just plain amazing.

If I were to offer up another tip for your trip, and it looks as though I'm about to, that would be to stay on county rds, or state hwys if you must, for as much as you can. Small towns are great. However you two do have a lot of ground to cover.

No curves to be found anywhere in the Midwest unless it's freeway overpass ramps.
coolsmiley02.gif

So make sure you hit some cool bridges -- the Midwest has plenty of bridges over the Missouri, Mississippi, and Ohio Rivers, and, of course, there's the marvelous Mackinac Bridge just north of Mackinaw City.

There are also ferries across the big rivers if you want to get kinky.

No curves to be found anywhere in the Midwest unless it's freeway overpass ramps.
So make sure you hit some cool bridges -- the Midwest has plenty of bridges over the Missouri, Mississippi, and Ohio Rivers, and, of course, there's the marvelous Mackinac Bridge just north of Mackinaw City.

There are also ferries across the big rivers if you want to get kinky.
Hud, you're due for CFO.

I'm not a fan of ferries to start with. And the costs are unbelievable after the free ferries in BC and some other places. Plus a $6.50 "security fee" each way for each of us and our vehicles smacks of highway robbery. $440 comes close to a set of tires for one bike.

Working on some plans and appreciate the suggestions. Current thought is to leave here after Memorial day. June 5th is our 15th anniversary so may try to do something special that day. (No, besides that!)

I'll chime in to throw out some experiences.

In Minnesota, depending on what kinda gear you have (or want to get), Aerostitch is in Duluth. In SW Minnesota, in Austin, two words: SPAM Museum. In north-central Minnesota, in the city of Bemidji, there is the biggest damn Hampton Inn I've ever seen (with a decent restaurant on-site), and statues of Paul Bunyon and Babe are also in Bemidji.

In Wisconsin, Door County (the 'thumb' that sticks out starting at Green Bay) is a nice area. On our way to NAFO in La Crosse, Sooze and I stayed at a hotel called the Holiday Music Motel in Sturgeon Bay. If you're looking for something different, it's definitely NOT your typical chain hotel (in a good way - the room was clean and folks plenty friendly). Plenty of places to eat within walking distance. Mmm.... Wisconsin cheese curds.... Anyway. There's a cool maritime museum in Sturgeon Bay as well. And, if you're in the area anyway and happen to be a football fan, swing by Lambeau just because. There is another nice maritime museum in Manitowoc.

Zappo mentioned Paradise, Michigan. Sooze and I stayed at the Magnuson Grand Hotel in Paradise on our way home from CFR, eh? Nice place but kinda pricey, but there also ain't much around there. Zappo mentioned the lighthouse - there's also (SURPRISE!) a museum there, this one is a shipwreck museum. I wanna say that they have the bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald there - pretty damn cool.

Denny mentioned crossing the Mackinaw Bridge - yeah, wind is no fun. There is a paved lane and a lane that's those damned grates. The last time we rode across, there was construction on the bridge that had the paved lane closed so I had to ride the whole thing on the grates. Add in a stiff cross-wind ... Yeah. Not a huge deal, but enough to get your full attention. And, whatever you do, avoid that bridge like the plague on Labor Day. Trust me - they shut half of the bridge down so people can walk across it.

Assuming you do cross into the lower peninsula, that's where the Tunnel of Trees that Tony mentioned is. If you keep going south, Torch Lake is an amazingly beautiful lake. Along the east shore of Torch Lake, probably 2/3 of the way down, there is a place called the Dockside. Awesome deck right on the channel between two lakes, and THE best fried pickles. Ever. Generally speaking, if you're a fan of lighthouses, there are a TON of 'em around Lake Michigan. If you like craft beer, keep going south to Grand Rapids. Just Google "Grand Rapids beer." Lots going on there.

Mike and John offered up a place, and so do I. We've got plenty of guest space and I have a garage with some tools, if needed. We're in central Ohio, a bit NW of Columbus.

If you end up going up through the UP to the big bridge, stay in Saint Ignace at the Quality Inn. We enjoyed that spot very much when passing through. All of the rooms seem to have a water view of Lake Huron, and there was some good food within walking distance, at least back in 2014. We liked that area. Reminded us of Cape Cod in Southeast Massachusetts.