Midwest Road Trip Suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the link below you will find some visitation statistics for Yellowstone NP that can be used to plan a visit. We generally get down to the park 2-3 times a year. Our first visit is in April when we go to Chico Hot Springs for our anniversary. We ride home thru the park, weather permitting. Typically there are less than 50 people at Old Faithful when we visit instead of the 5000+ you will find there in the summer. The earlier advice about going to the park only when school is in session is good advice. The summer crowds are infuriating. Top tip: It is a fact that getting on a tour bus lowers one's IQ by 40% or more, and causes one to become belligerant and self-absorbed. The park is absolutely to be avoided in the weeks before, during and after Sturgis. Hoards of Harley riders in swarms parading around the park in shorts, flip-flops and wife beater shirts, while running straight pipes. The park is tone deaf and lets them in to ruin other people's visit. In the past few years there have been multiple deaths due to idiotic behavior. One knucklehead fell into a pool of boiling sulphur water while trying to walk across a hot spring area; no effort was made to recover his body. A woman who wanted to pet a bison and death fall when trying to get a selfey at an overlook are other examples. We met a friend who rode down from Alaska at the Old Faitful Lodge in 2017. The portico was packed with bus tourists. A woman was ranting about how she had been chastised by a Park Ranger for tryng to put her head against the head of a bison for a selfey. She felt that the Ranger was too mean to her because no one had told her that wild animals can be dangerous. (There are scores of signs all over the park that warn visitors about the animals). Lord help you if a squirrel or any animal can be seen from the road. Cars, busses and motorcycles will all stop in the middle of the road to gawk. Over four million visitors to the park during each of the last three years.

This is how the bison like to do selfies. Tougher when on a bike: https://www.youtube.com/embed/KZ45m_D-rv4

https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/Reports/Park/YELL

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been through a number of times but the last couple times I add an extra day to find a way around the park. The beauty is surpassed by the stupidity of the tourons.

What?!?!?! No Montana?
Theresa was looking at routes north of Yellowstone but I suspect Beartooth Pass will still be closed that early.

As for gear, that early in the year we will likely use our Aerostitch. Reminds me I need to modify the cable for Theresa's heated vest now that we don't have BMW's.

We are both very appreciative of the suggestions and of offers of places to stay. To steal the title from another thread "the fjr does more than i thought." It definitely brings together the most helpful group I've ever encountered. You meet the nicest people on a Honda FJR.

Theresa is back and I've passed this along to her for planning while I look at some of the routes she has already proposed. As for Yellowstone, we will play it by ear. We've been there twice already and weren't that impressed. Like Yosemite, it is slow going and BTDT.

Murray, as I will be on my way to Alaska, PM me your email address and I will send you my favorite rides in the Black Hills if you plan on coming through here.

Beartooth will likely be open by mid-June it all depends upon the rest of the winter.

Well, the trip is looking a little iffy as my sciatica has returned. Working with PT the last month or so and a couple more weeks to go. Looking like it will take the needles in the back to solve the problem for another couple or few years. However, I am optimistic (determined?) so we are proceeding to lay out a trip starting May 29th. Decided to skip Yellowstone on the way out because of some high passes. Theresa asked for any suggestions of places to stay on the Mississippi between La Crosse and Red Wing.

Not a lot of lodging choices (or at least fun ones) on that short stretch of the river. Winona has the standard chain motels. There's an AmericInn in Wabasha, but it's expensive for what it is. Stop for lunch at the Golden Frog or the Wing Dam in Fountain City. At Alma, take county E about a mile or two to the top of the bluff and enjoy the view at Buena Vista Park. It's worth the diversion, with a beautiful view of the Mississippi and the dam there.

I can list dozens of really fun roads in that area. If you're willing to get ten miles or so east of the river, there are cabins in Waumandee, next to the Waumandee House restaurant. I have stayed there, and they are nice. There's nothing to do in the town, but the food is decent at the Waumandee House, plus the grocery store in town has some of the best homemade meats and smoked meat to keep you happy. The little store has everything from baling wire, to paint, to cheese, and the best skin-on wieners around. And endless miles of paved county and township roads. Just watch out for deer.

I hope your back gets better. It would be a bummer to cancel your trip.

2 cents:

- Wife and I took US2 all the way from west > east a few years back. Actually if you look at my avatar photo it was taken at the geographical center of North America (I think). Somewhere on US2.......

- Agree with the Minnesota observations. Duluth was a cool town to stay in. The Comfort Suites was awesome and even gave us a customized motorcycle puck for our kickstand :) Walkable to everwhere......

- I lived in the U.P. for many years and have family there still. Totally agree with Copper Harbor comment. Find your way from Duluth > Copper Harbor > Escanaba and take U.S. 2 along Lake Michigan all the way to the Mac. Manistique is a nice little stop, Quality Inn is good and walkable to taprooms and such. If you want something truly small and U.P. like try Naubinway and stay at the Adoba Hotel :) Couple of walk-ble bars and the Snowmobile Museum. And you have to eat some pasties when in the U.P. !!

- The Mac bridge isn't as ominous as made out, you'll be fine. Use the Ferrys to Mackinac Island that are on the St. Ignace side of the bridge, less busy and easier going. I used to deliver sailboats for the Chicago to Mac race and stayed on the island a bit. If you are not compelled to stay on the island, you will get a good feel for it by spending a long day there. its kind of cool to stay the night but can get pricey.

- The Lake Superior loop is awesome as mentioned, not many folks do it.

- The deer and bear are pretty thick (and BIG) in the U.P. so be careful. I personally don't drive a bike too much after dusk in the U.P. as the critters get pretty dense. It's not critical but something to be aware of.

- Remember that on your eastbound route the early morning sun will be irksome. We left later in the mornings on that trip and kept our travel to the daylight hours which made it a much more relaxed trip.

- Ditto on the passport comment as well. If you decide to loop back west through Canada on the TransCanada highway......that would be way cool.......

Hope you make the trip !!

"I personally don't drive a bike too much after dusk in the U.P. as the critters get pretty dense. It's not critical but something to be aware of."

After dusk and even before is reserved for checking out local brews. :)

We were out riding yesterday morning in a small town north of here. About 10 am, a doe and fawn darted across the road maybe 10 - 15 feet in front of Theresa. The other fawn turned back or Theresa would have had a very bad day. Deer and wild turkeys are a significant problem here as well.

I know this is really late but if your trip either way goes through Duluth, you are more than welcome to stay the night or two at my house. I am about 18 miles south of the Aerostich building just off I35. I could help with oil and tires if really needed also.

We have a fairly nice guest room which includes a sauna! :)

pm me if interested so I can get you my cell number

Paul

Thanks for the offer, Paul. We will probably take you up on it as we head home.

As for late, we're away behind in planning compared to previous trips. Life has been more than a little disrupted the past couple of months with sciatica and possible cancer diagnosis. Spinal epidural a week ago hopefully took care of the sciatica and the cancer appears to have been a misdiagnosis. So we are now in semi panic mode to get things sorted out. We still plan to leave on May 29th and are planning short days as we have not had time to get back in (riding) shape and Theresa still has some back issues.

The current plan is Sutter Creek to Austin, NV to Salt Lake City to Rawlings, WY to Hill City, SD to La Crosse, WI with an overnight in Sioux Falls. Taking an extra day in Hill City to tour a bit and give Theresa a break. I did plan a couple of diversions from main roads to see some sights. From La Crosse, we'll be heading north along the Mississippi with breakfast in Fountain City, a break in Alma, then to 25 N to 53 to 63. We're looking for a "nice" place to stay the night to celebrate our 15th anniversary. More specifically good wining and dining. Theresa was wondering if there were any suggestions in the area of Trego Lake. Also looking for a decent place in Sioux Falls, close to a pub. We generally try to stay away from large cities but there seems to be few places still open in some of the smaller places.

Thanks again for all your help.

Great idea to run through Fountain City and Alma, but if you just run 35 and 53 and 63, you'll just be travelling with the masses. Cars, trucks, motor homes pulling boats, and stupid drivers. You can run alphabet roads parallel to those, and be in motorcycling heaven (well, by Midwest standards). If you want, I'd be happy to meet you along the river and show you more interesting roads heading north. It will only cost you a few minutes more time, but be exponentially more fun. Plus, you get to smell ripe pig farms!

About 20 years ago, my wife and I rented a little place on Trego Lake for a week. Nice little lake, in a rustic setting.

My wife and I just celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary. We found the PERFECT spot to celebrate. It's called White Deer Lodge. We found it on VRBO, and it's about 3 or 4 miles from Waumandee. Check it out on Google Maps. We checked in at 3 PM, and between then and 10 PM, exactly three vehicles drove by. It's on a paved road, in a beautiful farm valley. The owners live just down the road, and are very nice people. I went for a couple of walks, and saw rose-breasted grosbeaks, orioles, a variety of woodpeckers, nuthatches, finches, bald eagles, and many other birds. And at dusk, seven or eight yearling deer came through the yard, among them an albino doe, hence the name of the lodge. We watched them for at least an hour. It's $150 a night, but worth every cent. Along the river, the motels are a little cheaper, but just average motels. My wife didn't want to leave. If I had the money, I'd buy the place and build a huge pole shed/garage, and retire there. The roads in every direction from there are magnificent. As far as dining for your anniversary, about 20 miles from White Deer Lodge, is Hillside Fish House. It's across from Winona, and then south 3 or 4 miles. Great food in an older, romantic setting. Other dining options in the area are less "romantic". Still, good basic food, and some delicious bright spots, but more bucolic, if you will. Some of the local patrons might have cow manure on their footwear from cleaning out the barn before coming in for a bite to eat.

Let me know, and I will meet you in LaCrosse or Winona, if you're interested. I ride those roads all summer, and have for over 30 years. Sounds like an awesome trip!

Rawlings, WY to Hill City, SD - this is not the shortest, but detouring through Medicine Bow lets you stop at the Virginian Hotel to look at the many pictures of the Old West and the railroad. They used to make a good breakfast as well and it is not too far from Rawlins. WY 487 up to Casper is a much less traveled and patrolled road than WY 287/220. WY 450 from Wright to Newcastle was a good road last time I was on it in 2017. Goes by some now shut down Coal Mines. shouldn't be any traffic.

https://goo.gl/maps/mKe6RMp4fiWAi9Zp9

Thanks, John. Breakfast suggestions are always appreciated.
smile.png
Will set it up tomorrow night. We're in the last minute "What did I forget" phase. Will decide in the morning whether to go over Carson Peak and The Spur or take the safe route through Truckee and Reno.

Well, we made it there and back. Had a great time; did a lot of touristy things I would usually not do and enjoyed them. Thanks to all who provided suggestions and special thanks to a few:

Paul (pmeysemb) and Carolyn for dinner, bead and breakfast. Special thanks to Paul for the cleanest windshields we've ever seen! We'd like to have stayed another day to ride together but had to leave early to stay ahead of (most) of the storms on the way home.

John (bigjohnsd) for many suggestions, especially the Virginian Hotel. Thanks for the offer of a tour but by the time we got to Hill City, we were beat from three long days of rain and cold. On the way home, we rode Spearfish Canyon. Beautiful!

Scott (SwollenRaccoon) for route suggestions, especially the Buena Vista outlook over the Mississippi River.

Unfortunately, we did not get to Beartooth Pass. Thunderstorms and heavy rain were forecast for the day we would have been ther and we'd had enough of bad weather on the way out. Experience here in the Sierras with thunderstorms made the choice easy.

Again, thanks to all. Truly a great group on this forum.

Latest posts