Mileage between Brake jobs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloppy

Reaction score
Fartsville, near Podunk over in Western NC
I know we all talk about the mileage we see from our tires, but I am curious how many miles we are getting between brake jobs. Secondly are we using OE pads or EBC or other? I bought my bike with 16,700 miles and did a front brake job at 24,300 however I dont know when the original owner did one. I replaced them with EBC brakes.

Last edited:
75,000 miles or more. I usually use EBC HH pads. Note: It helps to swap pads around (in the front) when you change tires. They don't all wear the same. Also, make sure you keep the sliders and pistons clean. Pads wear faster if the they don't retract as easily.
Obviously, it makes a huge difference where and how you ride. A life of mountain twisties (or a track) is a lot shorter than one of cross-continent highway runs.

Yeah, like Panman, probably around 50,000 miles, replaced with OEM. No reason to switch; the stock brakes are stout. Got 82,000 on the bike now (2008 model), so I'm still good for a while.

Wow, thanks. Actually I swapped some OE ones around and have EBC on one caliper and OE on the other. Like others mentions, I clean the parts, grease the caliper pin, scotch brite the rotors and clean them as well. Just a heads up, I would say 60% of my riding is in the mountains and the foothills.

Last edited:
I clean the parts, grease the caliper pin, scotch brite the rotors and clean them as well.
Doesn't hurt to CAREFULLY extend the pistons and wipe the sides of them with a soft cloth anytime you have the calipers off. Keeps dirt from being pushed back into and potentially damaging the seals. Just don't extend them too far or you will have a mess and potentially a brake bleeding nightmare to get all of the air out of the system.

I probably changed them a bit too early. Had I to do it over again, I think I would have just switched sides. My FZ-1 went through brakes quicker than the FJ but I am eating up tires on the FJ as compared to the FZ.

Last edited:
As others have said, 50K easy. Due to multiple bike disease my '15 only has 48K on it. Front pads are maybe 1/3 gone. OE pads are a known, so I stick with them.

~G

I just checked the Drawer and I have a new set waiting to go in at a little over 120,000. Being the cheap ass that I am I have been using up the pads that had life in them from my first change.
Now I'm think I'd better take a look!
My notes tell me I changed the rears at 52,000 and fronts at 61,000.

Lots of varying opinions here. I went EBC a long time ago along with EBC rotors. I've had The rotors on three different bikes now. Seems that matching the rotors to the pads is the way to go and I look around on Ebay for deals on the pads. I go through rear pads about every 25k and change the fronts at 40k. My 2 cents

Mileage on a set of brake pads could vary wildly. A person who spends a lot of time on the interstates may go 200 miles between gas stops without using them at all. Then another guy who loves aggressively riding the twisties may use them hard several times a mile. FWIW, I changed my fronts at about 75,000 and the rears at 100,000. But I'm not a hard braker and do spend a lot of time on the interstates. I use the stock pads.

55,000-ish with some twisties. I have another set of stock pads on order for my second replacement, near 111,111.