Mini Air Compressor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the time being I'll just rely on my roadside assistance to handle the flat. I got it through my AMA membership ($39/yr).
More expensive than a compressor, but they'll pick up the whole bike - and me- if necessary. Plus American Motorcyclist magazine and a bunch of people fighting for our motorcycle rights.
Progressive offers towing service also, but you may be out there for days (depending on where your at) before they can get someone out to save you. Last time we had an issue was somewhre in deep doo north carolina. Gorgeous scenery, no cell phone coverage, no traffic,.....you get the message.....

Greygoose
I've been to Deep Doo, NC - you're lucky to be alive.

I got a catalog in the mail from Aerostich the other day--very entertaining reading. Especially if you need your farkle engine recharged. :rolleyes: But this caught my eye. I have a Slime pump, and I've used it--seems to work fine. But simple does equal dependable, and I'm thinking this thing is the very simplest way to go, period. And it WILL do the job; don't think you can't pump up a m/c tire with a hand pump. I'm giving this serious thought. Size-wise, just look at the pic.

4932_c1f_1.jpg

p.s., You can see the pic larger at the linked site, or request the catalog there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
just remmeber the stock fuse cigarette lighter won't be enough. You'll need a fused socket right off the battery, as i found out.

The Slime compressor is the way to go. I think mine is slightly different that the one shown above. Bought mine at the Walmart....cheap and works well (tested both with the FJR tires and multiple bike tires). The pump fits under the seat and has multiple connectors.
I may be wrong but I think this product is endorsed by the MasterPlugger himself - no higher praise.
CAn anyone confirm the above statement?

i thought i'd be able to run my cycle pump from the connection in my mini glovebox.

GreyGoose

just remmeber the stock fuse cigarette lighter won't be enough. You'll need a fused socket right off the battery, as i found out.
Can anyone confirm the above statement?

i thought i'd be able to run my cycle pump from the connection in my mini glovebox.

GreyGoose
You will not be able to run any pump from the connection in a Gen II glovebox. IIRC, it's a 2 amp fuse and the wires are pretty light, I'd suggest you not 'upgrade' the fuse to 10 amps.

While lots of riders just use the battery tender plug off the battery, a dedicated power port is pretty handy at times and just not that expensive or difficult to install.

Gunny what OC said about not being able to run a pump off the glove-box plug. The fuse is too small and it will blow. It's been talked about hundreds of times here because it's been done almost as many times.

Personally, I ordered a Slimp pump for about $32 shipped. It comes in a case with three different types of connectors and is pretty flat. I connected the fused pig-tail connector to my battery and leave it where it is accessable. It took about 15 minutes to get done, including taking off and replacing the plastic to get to the battery. The hardest part was deciding exactly where to run the wire so it was totally convenient for me. When I need my pump, I just plug it into that...Easy and much faster than a tow truck.

I have the $10 Campbell Hausfield (sp) pump from Wally World. Plastic stripped off, fan trimmed off, leather boot lace attached. I've helped maybe a dozen folks with it and it's still going strong. Not the fastest or prettiest, but c'mon, TEN BUCKS! I did toss on a powerlet plug since I have two ports on the D panel.
I don't see the point in spending tire money on an air pump when there is a proven alternative for cheap. Just my two cents.
Same here.

IIRC mine is a Slime pump rescued from the trunk of my car. Either way, I removed the pump from the huge plastic case and it now lives under my seat with a 2nd pressure guage.

It's powered from the 12v acc plug on the dash (i think it's the C panel- where the glovebox would be if I had one)

I've used mine once for a flat, but about once a month I use it to top off tires pre ride to make sure it works still. It's almost 4 years old now and going strong.

underseat.jpg

I run my Motopump off of my battery tender lead, fused to 10a. You get your choice of connection type when you buy it, so the SAE is an easy choice.

I run my Motopump off of my battery tender lead, fused to 10a. You get your choice of connection type when you buy it, so the SAE is an easy choice.
what amp fuse comes in the battery tender lead? These responses make it sound like there something underpowered in that line that needs to be changed. Now that i know not to plug that thing into my cigarettte lighter adapter, i would like to know if i'm now going to own one of the best pumps available and not be able to use it due to a fuse issue. That would be worse than having a flat and no way to fill it , which isnt as bad as having a flat and having a cheap pump thats broke, which isnt as bad as having the best pump made and not haveing the power to use it. Maybe i should have stayed with those damn cartidges... :angry2:

Greygoose

what amp fuse comes in the battery tender lead?
Do you have a battery tender of some kind? If yes, go look at yours. Then you'll have the info you need.

i would like to know if i'm now going to own one of the best pumps available and not be able to use it due to a fuse issue.
What we've been trying to tell you is that the pumps are all about the same, just the packaging is different. You're missing the point here. You need to be prepared to deal with electrical issues too, not just a flat tire. Carry spare fuses, beyond the couple already in the fuse block. Understand that the bike takes mini ATC fuses, but most of your added accessories will be using std ATC fuses. So you need spares for both, or plan ahead and use mini ATC fuses for your accessories.

Maybe i should have stayed with those damn cartidges... :angry2:
Only if you want to rely on others to save your butt when you get two punctures and think you only have one. :blink: The CO2 is fine for a redundant back up, but not so great as your primary repair method, IMHO.

Wally World pump for me too for the last few years. Used it just this last weekend to air up a repaired tire. I've used it several times. Seems to be a pretty good unit. I'll let everyone know if it craps out on me.

GP

what amp fuse comes in the battery tender lead? These responses make it sound like there something underpowered in that line that needs to be changed. Now that i know not to plug that thing into my cigarettte lighter adapter, i would like to know if i'm now going to own one of the best pumps available and not be able to use it due to a fuse issue. That would be worse than having a flat and no way to fill it , which isnt as bad as having a flat and having a cheap pump thats broke, which isnt as bad as having the best pump made and not haveing the power to use it. Maybe i should have stayed with those damn cartidges... :angry2:

Greygoose

Here's what I was trying to say: Get on the internet and look around. If you look HERE you will see that the pump comes with three ways to power the pump. From the website that I just linked you to:

POWER SPORT TIRE INFLATOR™ INCLUDES:

•High-Power 12 Volt 300 PSI Air Compressor

•8'Main Harness Power Cord – 8’/240cm

•Power Connection w/ Fuse- Alligator Clips– 18”/45cm

•Power Connection w/ Fuse- Lighter Adapter – 14”/35cm

•Power Connection w/ Fuse- Direct Pre-Wire – 14”/35cm

•Air Hose with Quick-Clip - 18”/45cm

•Tire Pressure Pencil Gauge, 10-50psi

•Rugged Carrying Case – 6”H x 6"W x 2.25"D

•Complete Instructions

•Compressor Measurements: 4"H x 3.5"W x 2"D

•Kit Weight: 2.2lbs (approx)

Not setting up a way to run your pump before you leave your house is going to be a bad idea. If you try to run it off the glovebox outlet, you are going to go through more fuses than you can count. If you up the fuse size to run the pump off that outlet at all, you risk burning something up.

So...Either get a pump that has the connections for you and set it up the way you like (like the $35 unit I just showed you), or buid yourself an outlet/pigtail/whatever and plug the pump you buy into that. The good fused outlets can be found at any marine store and have rubber covers to help waterproof them. I have one of those on my bike at the rear of the right side faring. It looks OEM and was way easy.

At the very least, you are going to have to remove a panel, route some wire for the connection, test it, and put it all back together. If you added a battery tender lead, this should be cake. It also may not be necessary if you make sure the fuse on the lead will live up to the pump's requirements. It's not as bad as it seems, but you will have to put some effort into getting it done. Either that, or hope you can call a tow truck.

Greygoose

Here's what I was trying to say: Get on the internet and look around. If you look HERE you will see that the pump comes with three ways to power the pump. From the website that I just linked you to:

POWER SPORT TIRE INFLATOR™ INCLUDES:

•High-Power 12 Volt 300 PSI Air Compressor

•8'Main Harness Power Cord – 8’/240cm

•Power Connection w/ Fuse- Alligator Clips– 18”/45cm

•Power Connection w/ Fuse- Lighter Adapter – 14”/35cm

•Power Connection w/ Fuse- Direct Pre-Wire – 14”/35cm

•Air Hose with Quick-Clip - 18”/45cm

•Tire Pressure Pencil Gauge, 10-50psi

•Rugged Carrying Case – 6”H x 6"W x 2.25"D

•Complete Instructions

•Compressor Measurements: 4"H x 3.5"W x 2"D

•Kit Weight: 2.2lbs (approx)

Not setting up a way to run your pump before you leave your house is going to be a bad idea. If you try to run it off the glovebox outlet, you are going to go through more fuses than you can count. If you up the fuse size to run the pump off that outlet at all, you risk burning something up.

So...Either get a pump that has the connections for you and set it up the way you like (like the $35 unit I just showed you), or buid yourself an outlet/pigtail/whatever and plug the pump you buy into that. The good fused outlets can be found at any marine store and have rubber covers to help waterproof them. I have one of those on my bike at the rear of the right side faring. It looks OEM and was way easy.

At the very least, you are going to have to remove a panel, route some wire for the connection, test it, and put it all back together. If you added a battery tender lead, this should be cake. It also may not be necessary if you make sure the fuse on the lead will live up to the pump's requirements. It's not as bad as it seems, but you will have to put some effort into getting it done. Either that, or hope you can call a tow truck.
I've got the battery tender plus lead hooked up the battery. The troubleshooting guide states the following:

3. The fuse is blown in the ring terminal or alligator clip harness. Replacement fuse: Bussman Blade Type: ATC-3 to ATC-7.5. (3A to 7.5A)

My line currently has a 7.5 in it. That seems to be on the low end of the scale for the power requritement of the pump

Does anyone see an issue with putting a 10 amp in there?

cycle pump specs state the following:

The CyclePump power cord is NOT provided with a safety fuse. We recommend you connect to a fused 12-volt DC automotive outlet, rated at 10 – 15 amps.. The CyclePump requires 7-10 amps to operate effectively.

thanx

GreyGoose

The battery tender lead wire will handle 10 amps OK if you want to upgrade the fuse. Just remember that is now more than the battery tender folks recommend for their device........ I chose to upgrade to 10 amps. It's risk management.... I don't feel there is a great risk of the battery tender ever seeing that kind of amperage unless the battery shorts out somehow.

I kinda agree with Andy..... I have run my Airman on the 7.5 fuse, no issue.

Here's what I carry.

DSCN0598.jpg

I've used the vulcanizing plugs on a few car tires without a problem. One word of advice, get the tools with the fat t-handles. They take up a little more space but they're much easier to use than the screwdriver handled ones. The bent nose pliers and multitool are for removing any offending object from the tire. As far as any roadside assistance, I'm not going to use it (I have AAA+ RV) unless there's no other choice. My buddy had a flat on his new Moto Guzzi yesterday and when he called about the factory roadside assistance they told him it could be up to a 4 hr response time. :blink:

Here's what I carry.
DSCN0598.jpg

I've used the vulcanizing plugs on a few car tires without a problem. One word of advice, get the tools with the fat t-handles. They take up a little more space but they're much easier to use than the screwdriver handled ones. The bent nose pliers and multitool are for removing any offending object from the tire. As far as any roadside assistance, I'm not going to use it (I have AAA+ RV) unless there's no other choice. My buddy had a flat on his new Moto Guzzi yesterday and when he called about the factory roadside assistance they told him it could be up to a 4 hr response time. :blink:
Done deal. replaced the fuse and waiting to recieve cycle pump. Also got a set of jumper cables. Where do you store that cycle pump at?....under the seat?

GreyGoose

Space not so much an issue with me as I always ride with bags ('cept on a track) and the right inner bag is my tool and maintenance shop.

I purchased years ago a Michelin digital 12v compressor from Pep Boys that air up tires just fine, but you can punch in what pressure you want and it inflates to that psi and stops on it's own. I love that feature. Now it seems that pump is only sold in Europe.

Today I see Slime sells a similar one with the digital readout and the ability to select what psi you want ahead of time:

https://www.slime.com/images/uploads/201003...ime_catalog.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40022-Digital-...r/dp/B002ZBWKAU

51T7WjHi49L._SL500_AA300_.jpg