Minnesota 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this be a good event for a newbie long distant rider? I am kind of intriqued by the whole Iron Butt, long distant riding stuff, but am pretty ingnorant on how these events work. I have done several 500 mile days with a max of 700 last summer. I live less than 10 miles from the starting point so this would be hard to beat for convenience. What are some good resources to learn more about scoring, route planning, do's and don't, etc...?

I'd do it but for those feckin Minnesotans. :)

That and ...

...just not a LD rider.

I admire you guys for the physical AND mental endurance you guys have.

I'd do it but for those feckin Minnesotans. :)
That and ...

...just not a LD rider.

I admire you guys for the physical AND mental endurance you guys have.
Ya see that's where your wrong. If you want to get a IBA Saddle sore Certificate yes you need to ride 1000 miles in 24 hours. But at a rally YOU decide how far and where you want to go. Some rallys do have check points and even some prescribed base route but most, the MN1K included, you just get a packet of bonuses and you decide where and for how long you want to ride.

Would this be a good event for a newbie long distant rider? I am kind of intriqued by the whole Iron Butt, long distant riding stuff, but am pretty ingnorant on how these events work. I have done several 500 mile days with a max of 700 last summer. I live less than 10 miles from the starting point so this would be hard to beat for convenience. What are some good resources to learn more about scoring, route planning, do's and don't, etc...?
A good place to find info is the FJR Forum FAQ for Newbies Considering a Saddle Sore, Rally, or LD Riding here. Another would be the Team Strange Uniform Rules here. Then you can read some past MN1K ride reports here.

Another nearby rally that's 12 hours is the Bonzai run out of Richland WI here.

Bottom line is it's meant to be fun. So get yourself a Polroid and be there!

As someone who did his first rally at a MN1000 a couple of years ago, I wish I had started with a couple 12 hour rallys like the Glacial Lakes motorcycle club put on. It just gives a person the ability to start planning routes that requires finding bonuses and such. And it will not wear you out like a 24 hour rally can. I bit off a little more than I could chew on the MN1000 that I did.

This doesn't mean you can not do a MN1000 for your first. But you have to prepared your mind to accept the first rally will be a learning experience and accept that. Do it to enjoy it. Its nice to have goals as to finishing but prepare your mind that it will be a learning experience.

I wish I had more time to do them. I really do enjoy them. It sure is fun to go to some of the bonus sights they lead you to. Its like your exploring little tidbits of history throughout the state, or country.

devanator

Thanks devanator and rickcorwn. I think checking out a 12 hour rally makes more sense than jumping into a 24 hour 1k event. I think the Bonzai rally in Richland may be the way to go.

Thanks devanator and rickcorwn. I think checking out a 12 hour rally makes more sense than jumping into a 24 hour 1k event. I think the Bonzai rally in Richland may be the way to go.
I don't think you can go wrong with the Bonzai. I think its about half full now so I'd recommend getting signed up sooner than later.

OK, since I have done a SS1K ride, the mileage involved doesn't intimidate me, but that was on a route I had had months to plan out. I had in COMPLETELY memorized. So my question is, how long do you have to plan your route? I assume you are given the locations where you can pick up a certain amount of points, and then you are off and running. Does the clock start as soon as you are given the bonus point locations?

I will try reading some of the links above, but I have read several post on these rallies, and I still don't understand how all that works exactly.

TiggerT

On the MN1000 you are given a sheet of bonus points (stops) to look over the night before at the Banquet. Then you come the next morning for the start and are given another sheet of bonus points to look over. Generally you have an hour or so to look the new sheets over to see how it coincides with the other sheet given the night before. You have to work out your route the way you would like to take it. Some people take more time than others to get on the road.

At a 12 hour rally you are generally given one set of bonus sheets an hour before the rally and have that time to get your route before you take off.

It all comes down to how good are you at making routes for the bonus locations. It is much different than a IBA run like the SS1000's and BBG. This is all about routing efficiently. Taking in as many bonus points as possible in the time allowed. I believe the Glacial Lakes Motorcycle club at the Buffalo Run gave an award for efficiency. The most points per mile. It doesn't mean you have the most points but you made the best use of the miles driven.

devanator

OK, since I have done a SS1K ride, the mileage involved doesn't intimidate me, but that was on a route I had had months to plan out. I had in COMPLETELY memorized. So my question is, how long do you have to plan your route? I assume you are given the locations where you can pick up a certain amount of points, and then you are off and running. Does the clock start as soon as you are given the bonus point locations?
I will try reading some of the links above, but I have read several post on these rallies, and I still don't understand how all that works exactly.
How ever you want...

I can spent 3-4hrs planning, don't really care.

Yeah, I generally have an efficient route, but I also go ride what seems interesting...

I don't worry to much about the rest.

-bvw.

Just an FYI if your thinking about a run at the MN1K. The next Team Strange new rider will recive the TS number of 666 :blink:

Hey, it could be your lucky number... or not :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI if your thinking about a run at the MN1K. The next Team Strange new rider will receive the TS number of 666 :blink:
Hey, it could be your lucky number... or not :blink:
Well you missed out. The lucky number went to a Waffle House waitress from Georgia. :blink:

No, really.