MN Tech Day 4/28

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has the weather affected plans at this point?
??? weather??? How would the weather affect our plans? What? Are you from Michigan or something? lol

Rain, shine or snow.....the tech day will go on. If the weather is bad enough that folks may not want to ride in, that's one thing. But the grill will get fired up anyways, so hop in a car and enjoy some good company. Not saying my company is all that great, but hopefully others will show up.

My plans of making this tech day may be iffy now. An opportunity to ride Arkansas popped up at the last moment so I'll be headed South tomorrow and that may leave me short of time to get the bikes ready at the motorcycle school. I'll bust my ass next week and make my decision when I figure out how I'm doing late in the week.

The weather forecast for the upcoming weekend looks quite fantastic. My only concern now is the gravel driveway leading up to the shed. Currently it is pretty soft. Hopefully a week of sunshine will help dry it up.

And as a reminder, my road was treated to a generous portion of sand this winter, so be very mindful of that on the last curve to my place.

About valve checks. I was hoping another forum member would be able to make it, but unfortunately he won't be able to make it. What that means is this, I don't have a problem doing a valve check, but for all the checks I've done (not quite a dozen), I have never had to replace a shim. So if anyone wants to do a valve check, we can do that, but if you need to change a shim, it's up to you. We'll both be learning something then.

We look forward to seeing you folks this Saturday.

Anyone want to do a tire change? I can bring my hitch mounted nomar. Or Mike can entertain us with the brute force method again!

I'd help with the valve check as well... Like Mike, i've not had to change a shim yet but one of these days we'll find one! Cruzin has a shim kit I could nab if we don't have one already.

I may not be able to make it this weekend.

And I need to get tires changed in the next few weeks as well...sooner the better.

Anyone want to do a tire change? I can bring my hitch mounted nomar. Or Mike can entertain us with the brute force method again!
I'd help with the valve check as well... Like Mike, i've not had to change a shim yet but one of these days we'll find one! Cruzin has a shim kit I could nab if we don't have one already.
Brute force to change a tire is a lot like "ride harder, not smarter". I seem to have a natural inclination towards both.

If Cruzin can't bring his shim kit, perhaps I can ask another buddy if I can use his.

I may not be able to make it this weekend.
And I need to get tires changed in the next few weeks as well...sooner the better.
Hey bud, can I swing by and pick up your shim kit? You know, this'll be the first tech day here that you will have missed. I'll see ya soon. Bring your tires by anytime I'm around.

So being a new attendee, what's the plan for lunch? What time do things generally get underway in the morning? Am I going to miss half the fun if I show up about 10? I'm not doing valves btw.

10 will be just fine. I may just check my valves. If we have to figure out how to replace shims, at least itll be on my ride. I wont have far to walk home should I screw the pooch.

What I meant was do we need to bring something to share, or toss on the grill, some cash to cover expenses or something?
If you want to bring a side dish or snacks that you think others might enjoy, you are certainly welcomed to do so. As for covering expenses, that is strictly on a voluntary basis.

I'd love to change tires... (Can I bring the tires for my SV too?)
You can bring what mc tires you want, just so long as you are willing to contribute a little bit of elbow grease. Or at least some moral support.

That settles it... I'll pack the Nomar!

You still have motorcycles?
smile.png

That settles it... I'll pack the Nomar!

You still have motorcycles?
smile.png
I know....

I didn't get on any of them last year...

I've had these tires in the basement since the winter before last (16/17)

I haven't been on an FJR since 2016, and that was the one I had in Australia

Thanks for hosting Mike! Food and conversation was great.

So Mike can change his own tires, but since I brought the Nomar we used that... the only tire that it changed yesterday. I get a txt about noon today from Mike stating look who finally showed up... a pic of Valetz with 4 wheels and 4 fresh tires! They used the caveman method
rolleyes.gif