MN Tech Day - May 12th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to meet some of the local owners. Possibly even sooner than this tech day. As a newer owner, having acquired the FJR at the very end of June last year I am not fully sure what should be checked or adjusted. So far plugs were changed, new tires put on (PR2's), changed oil, and checked all ground spider connections, adding dielectric grease to all during reassembly.

There may be some items to check out on my bike (I'm thinking a TBS), but it is still somewhat a low miler at about 8600 as of this post.

Later,

K

Sooner than this tech day eh? Hmmmm, lemme think. Ever hear of First Thursday at Delanos Pizza?

The first Thursday of each month there's a rather large gathering of bikers and their rides there. April is always a pretty good showing. Odds are pretty good you'll meet several of us there. It would be great to meet you K.

Delanos is just East of Lyndale on Lake St.

So where abouts North of Minneapolis? Duluth? Ely? ;)

Sooner than this tech day eh? Hmmmm, lemme think. Ever hear of First Thursday at Delanos Pizza?

The first Thursday of each month there's a rather large gathering of bikers and their rides there. April is always a pretty good showing. Odds are pretty good you'll meet several of us there. It would be great to meet you K.

Delanos is just East of Lyndale on Lake St.

So where abouts North of Minneapolis? Duluth? Ely? ;)
Not that far north, I suppose that you have been through Blaine a few times. I'm near 610 and Univ. extension I don't know about Thursday's @ Dulono’s Pizza, I'll see as it gets closer.

Ken

I would like to meet some of the local owners. Possibly even sooner than this tech day. As a newer owner, having acquired the FJR at the very end of June last year I am not fully sure what should be checked or adjusted. So far plugs were changed, new tires put on (PR2's), changed oil, and checked all ground spider connections, adding dielectric grease to all during reassembly.

There may be some items to check out on my bike (I'm thinking a TBS), but it is still somewhat a low miler at about 8600 as of this post.

Later,

K
Hi Ken,

How long have you been riding, and what other bikes do you own or owned? What kind of riding do you like to do?

Oh, and get that bike into the dealership to have the recall done on the ground wiring.

Hi Ken,

How long have you been riding, and what other bikes do you own or owned? What kind of riding do you like to do?

Oh, and get that bike into the dealership to have the recall done on the ground wiring.

I started road riding in '75 on a CL350. Have had a 750F, and GL1100I. Sold the wing in '93 and did not have a dedicated road bike till the FJR.

I currently own a '72-CB350, ?'76-CB360 both have not been run in many years. Running old bikes include a '65 C105T (55cc trail), ' 81 110cc Trail, and a '74 250 CZ Enduro ( https://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/hotroddon/CZenduro.jpg).

All of the ground connections were spotless. A quick check at a dealer late last year showed that all updates had been completed (as of Aug '11)

K

Just got back from a nice lil' ride with NBB (Ken).

Definately look forward to having you stop by for the tech day. Looking forward to the next ride as well. And par for the course, another one I'll just have to try to keep up with. :)

Definately look forward to having you stop by for the tech day. Looking forward to the next ride as well. And par for the course, another one I'll just have to try to keep up with. :)
That's great. Riding with others is great especially on the same bikes. The one time on today's ride where I tried to showboat a bit (meaning head into a corner feeling hot but assuming I would handle it) going into a right hander and it tightened up more than I thought I ran wide into the opposing lane and I felt damn stupid. Haven't done that in a long long time. But that's ok the guy on the R1 behind me ran a bit wide too :lol:

Nice place Mike. Thanks for having me out and the ride invite. As I said before I would like to meet others in this area, and would be great to meet as many as possible even b4 the tech day.

Who is wanting to do a valve adjustment during Tech day? And if so, do you want a hand? I will bring all the tools necessary for this if needed. If they do not need adjustment it can be done in about 2-3 hours working casually. If they need adjustment you'll need to have a source for shims that day otherwise the bike will be stuck at Mike's. Adjusting will add about 2 hours assuming the shims are on hand.

DSCN7633.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had mine adjusted Matt. But that is one of those DIY projects I'd love to learn. If someone is planning on doing theirs, I can call the Hitchingpost ahead of time to verify they have shims on hand. Doubtful they would have gaskets if that gets damaged, that's what happened when I had mine done, added an extra week for completion.

Hi Fellas-

I'd enjoy the change to tag along on tech day, in particular to learn how to do a throttle body sync, either using my bike as a test mule or watching someone else's get the treatment. I'm pushing about 8000 miles on my new-last-year 2010. Would this be fair game?

I've got a prior committment for that morning, but could probably be there between about noon-12:30, if it's still running (at least wrenching) by that point. I'm in southern Anoka county- I'm guessing I'm not too far from the host location?

Thanks!

Hi Fellas-

I'd enjoy the change to tag along on tech day, in particular to learn how to do a throttle body sync, either using my bike as a test mule or watching someone else's get the treatment. I'm pushing about 8000 miles on my new-last-year 2010. Would this be fair game?

I've got a prior committment for that morning, but could probably be there between about noon-12:30, if it's still running (at least wrenching) by that point. I'm in southern Anoka county- I'm guessing I'm not too far from the host location?

Thanks!
You are absolutely welcome to come over Steve. 12:30 won't be so late, for what it's worth, I am planning on setting the entire day aside for Tech'ing.

And for those not sure as to how early they can arrive, I'd say anytime around sunrise, I'm always up early.

Around noonish we'll start throwing some animal flesh on the grill. So in other words, 12:30 won't be too late.

As a side note, keep 1st Thursday in mind.

Mike do you want me to bring mercury gauges for TBS or do you have those?
I have one Matt, but the seals are all dried out and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

If you don't mind, figure on bringing your's and I'll keep you posted if I replace mine by May. Was thinking about one of the electronic models.

Do you fellows have any opinion on the Morgan Carbtune? https://www.carbtune.com/ It's about $100 including shipping from the UK. I've toyed with buying one.

Some earlier research on this board recommended the Morgan over the Motion Pro because rather than fluid indicators it uses stainless steel columns to indicate the vacuum readings. I built a homemade gauge for a previous v-twin I owned. Got panicked pretty fast as I watched that out-of-whack engine nearly suck the tranny fluid I used in the tubes right into the engine! That's why this Morgan sounds like a good alternative.

Y'all do TBS "by the book", or has anyone experimented with that unauthorized TBS? https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=23101&st=0&p=271779&hl=unauthorized&fromsearch=1entry271779 I have no idea if the unauthorized version would be beneficial to me (or anyone else) or not...