MN Tech Day - May 12th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time I did a TBS on an FJR I did the "unauthorized" without knowing it, as that is the same way that carbs are sync'd so it was nothing weird to me. However, the next I did it I did the normal TBS way and it worked just fine, and is much easier as the adjustment screws are staring you in the face compared to difficult to access spots as is the 'unauthorized' way.

I can bring my mercury gauges they are old school but work fine. I have to pack them in a backpack because they are about 30" long.

As "they" say, you can't take it with you. Today I ordered the Morgan Carbtune Pro. Should be here within a couple weeks.

As "they" say, you can't take it with you. Today I ordered the Morgan Carbtune Pro. Should be here within a couple weeks.
I was happy with how my Motion Pro worked the first couple of yrs, up until my bike nearly sucked it dry. I'll be looking forward to see how your Morgan Carbtune works Steve. Thanks ahead of time.

I was thinking the same thing. Hey, anyone ever changed their own fork oil on an FJR? How do you suspend your front end, Mike? Something cheap like me with a ratchet strap on a garage beam or something?

I was thinking the same thing. Hey, anyone ever changed their own fork oil on an FJR? How do you suspend your front end, Mike? Something cheap like me with a ratchet strap on a garage beam or something?
I've done it that way. Seemed to work o.k. Ask Gramps. Seems like I was doing my ignition switch recall or something.

Damn '06s !!

Let's say that someone has an unexpected tax refund... Do they dump their '06 and buy a shiny new silver 2011? (silver is the best color for any vehicle) Or, do they put it toward a shiny new Tiger 800 XC and plan a trip to Inuvik??

(Like all important decisions, I base them on what I read on the Internet) ;)

I've done it that way. Seemed to work o.k. Ask Gramps. Seems like I was doing my ignition switch recall or something.

Damn '06s !!

Let's say that someone has an unexpected tax refund... Do they dump their '06 and buy a shiny new silver 2011? (silver is the best color for any vehicle) Or, do they put it toward a shiny new Tiger 800 XC and plan a trip to Inuvik??

(Like all important decisions, I base them on what I read on the Internet) ;)
I like their new 2012 Tiger 1200 Explorer. It'll still feel like a lightweight coming from an FJR.

Mike,

I can be there somewhat early.

I have a interest in learning how to do a TBS, the fork fluid could be changed. I am thinking that I will be ordering up a CTT and gaskets and maybe the guide as I am hearing something from the right side and would rather be safe than sorry later.

Ken

Actually Matt, I think the easiest way to do it is just take the forks off. I've got the jacks and blocking to prop up the bike for fork removal. Sounds like it might be scary removing forks off a nearly new bike, but it's gotta be a whole lot easier than checking valves.

Bring 'er in early that morning if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Matt, I think the easiest way to do it is just take the forks off. I've got the jacks and blocking to prop up the bike for fork removal. Sounds like it might be scary removing forks off a nearly new bike, but it's gotta be a whole lot easier than checking valves.

Bring 'er in early that morning if you want.
Oh yeah you have to remove the forks, good we can put the bike on blocks if you have a way? Or I can bring a tie down strap to life the front end while on center stand. I figure I should change the oil at some point with 28-29k miles on them now. I think you take them off and just pump them up and down to get the oil out but I'll read up on it.

Who is wanting to do a valve adjustment during Tech day? And if so, do you want a hand? I will bring all the tools necessary for this if needed. If they do not need adjustment it can be done in about 2-3 hours working casually. If they need adjustment you'll need to have a source for shims that day otherwise the bike will be stuck at Mike's. Adjusting will add about 2 hours assuming the shims are on hand.

DSCN7633.jpg
=========

Matt, so 3-5hrs to check the valve clearance and possibly changing shims? Are you up to being a instructor / lead person for this task?

Some of the other items on my list are likely to be done before Tech day. I ordered the CCT and a Morgan carbtune(arrived in 3 days :yahoo: ). If the CCT get here before this weekend it may very likely get installed as I need to stay around home anyway.

K

About 2-3 hours for the valve check and probably another 2-3 hours max to change shims if needed. Having the right tools on hand to remove the CCT is needed, I'll see if I have a wrench or socket combo that can get to the bolt.

An updated list of attendees:

Gramps / Marc

carlson_mn / Matt

Aasland / ? (work permitting)

Joe2Lmaker / Joe

MNFJR Pilot / Mark

roger dodger / Roger

NBB / Ken

stevet / Steve (and maybe friend)

foshow / Phillip

mr.paul / Paul (work permitting)

Cookie / ?

mnxs54 / Mark

BusaDevil / Bob (riding buddy of mine)

Looking like a pretty good group for the day. If I've forgotten anyone, give me a shout (and a kick in the pants when you get here). And remember, this list can be added to, I just need a rough idea how many folks will be here so as to plan for food. Gotta make sure the trough is full.

When you folks arrive, just ride to the left of the garage towards the shed in the back. I've got ample parking back there and plenty of room in the shed for the bikes being worked on.

Word of caution though. Don't ride that last curve to the house too fast, the county loves to dump a ton of sand there in the wintertime.

See you folks on the 12th. :)

TripperMike, I plan on coming to the MN Tech Day - May 12. Have you had any experience with throttle tension adjustment. Also, would you send me directions.

Thanks Hershmeister / Jim - Maple Grove

TripperMike, I plan on coming to the MN Tech Day - May 12. Have you had any experience with throttle tension adjustment. Also, would you send me directions.

Thanks Hershmeister / Jim - Maple Grove
Good to hear you might make it out Jim. And no, I don't have experience w/ the throttle tension. I've thought about it though, does that count?

Address coming your way soon.