MN Tech Day - May 12th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I'll be able to appear but probably won't surface until 12:30-1:00pm at the earliest. I can bring my Morgan Carbtune that I bought a few weeks ago. Of course when I got it I was all jazzed up to learn how to use it, so I did. Installed new spark plugs, too. At idle I've got the 4 cylinders breathing within 5 or less tick lines on the gauge, but at 4000rpm the four bars were out by almost 15 across the range, which probably accounts for the little bit of handlebar buzz I feel up around the 4000rpm range. The "unauthorized" TBS was not something I was going to attempt. Not sure if I want to tackle that on Saturday, but if nothing else I'd enjoy seeing what others are doing on their machines, and put some faces with names, of course.

I did a check for the 31mm socket but do not have that size. However I do have 30mm shallow and deep, 32 deep, and the 1 1/4 shallow all in half inch drive. Then there is the 3/4" drive inch stuff as well, which would be a bit of overkill for the "decorative nut".

-K
Agreed.. I bet it might be in the massive range of a few inch pounds tight bub..

Why, I'll bet with a decent pair of testicles and properly calloused man mitts, you gurls won't need a "proper" Socket.. Seriously Yoou can bust than 31mm nut loose with nothing more than crescent wrench.

But don't mind me. I've only done it 10 or 12 times..

I think we're in luck!! Went back out to the shed, checked the wrench chest, and lo 'n behold I found my 31mm crescent wrench. We're good to Go tomorrow now. :yahoo:

Dayum and wouldn't ya know it, found my nads too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a check for the 31mm socket but do not have that size. However I do have 30mm shallow and deep, 32 deep, and the 1 1/4 shallow all in half inch drive. Then there is the 3/4" drive inch stuff as well, which would be a bit of overkill for the "decorative nut".

-K
Agreed.. I bet it might be in the massive range of a few inch pounds tight bub..

Why, I'll bet with a decent pair of testicles and properly calloused man mitts, you gurls won't need a "proper" Socket.. Seriously Yoou can bust than 31mm nut loose with nothing more than crescent wrench.

But don't mind me. I've only done it 10 or 12 times..

Aw shucks, with it being Friday and such for the post, I tried to lay the ground work with a lot of references that could be played with.... just sayin :)

moved new reply outside of quote

Looks like I'll be able to appear but probably won't surface until 12:30-1:00pm at the earliest. I can bring my Morgan Carbtune that I bought a few weeks ago. Of course when I got it I was all jazzed up to learn how to use it, so I did. Installed new spark plugs, too. At idle I've got the 4 cylinders breathing within 5 or less tick lines on the gauge, but at 4000rpm the four bars were out by almost 15 across the range, which probably accounts for the little bit of handlebar buzz I feel up around the 4000rpm range. The "unauthorized" TBS was not something I was going to attempt. Not sure if I want to tackle that on Saturday, but if nothing else I'd enjoy seeing what others are doing on their machines, and put some faces with names, of course.
I did the tune a couple of weeks ago also. Did it ever wake up the midrange and up. I managed to easily get it dialed into less than 2 tick lines @ 4k and nearly even at idle.

I think we're in luck!! Went back out to the shed, checked the wrench chest, and lo 'n behold I found my 31mm crescent wrench. We're good to Go tomorrow now. :yahoo:

Dayum and wouldn't ya know it, found my nads too!

You found yer nads in the shed?? Just what were you doing out there to loose 'em there?

Make sure you get pictures of today's debauchery,yeah even Joe an Marc *shudder* those two are trouble makers ya know. An don't ferget to let me know what ya think of the 3200's

Gettin late an no pics.. Either nobody showed........................

Or U guys are too busy kissin.. Joe.. :lol:

Naw they are just finishing off the couple of blends of home brew that were brought by..

FJRTechDay2.jpg

FJRTechDay.jpg

Tripper MIke thanks for hosting a great day!!!!!

Thanks Mike and wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Started with a Bloody then a couple good beers later and a even got a couple things done on the bike. I wish I could of stayed longer and BS'd actually but had to get home to do things on "the list".

Tripper Mike-

Many thanks to you and your family for hosting The Gang today. As I mentioned to your wife, food always tastes so much better when it comes from someone else's BBQ grill!

Here's the website for the Morgan Carbtune. https://www.carbtune.com/

It comes in a 2-gauge version and a 4-gauge version which will work on 2, 3, and 4 cylinder engines, carbs or FI.

And for that center balancing screw you've got, if you scroll down the main webpage a bit they will show other specialty hand tools, including two angle headed/geared screwdrivers. That would have been helpful for your bike today.

Near the center of the page you'll find info for buying from here in the USA.

And look carefully, you'll see the deal where you buy the gauge set and the pouch together. You'll just need the standard kit, none of the extra adapters outside the standard kit are needed for our bikes. The FJR is pretty much plug-n-play.

Job well done, Sir. Thanks again!

Steve T.

Gettin late an no pics.. Either nobody showed........................

Or U guys are too busy kissin.. Joe.. :lol:
Joe was a no show for this event, too bad, we had a great time.

I'll get some photos up a little later for ya.

Thanks for a great tech day Mike even though the majority of us had no work to be done.

Looks like we'll have to bring the party to Barry next time. ;)

Thanks Mark for posting those pics, I'll have to get re-acquinted with photobucket tomorrow and post a few.

Thanks a ton guys for coming by and helping to knock down a few brats and beers with us. 'Twas a good day indeed. Got to meet quite a few great guys I hadn't met before, and shoot the breeze with those I've known for a lil' while now.

Believe it or not, some even showed up and actually worked on bikes! Being my first year hosting, I was busy playing the role of "host". Thanks to NBB (Ken), I actually got something accomplished on my bike. Thanks Ken! An "unauthorized" TBSync, and it does run sooo much smoother.

Tomorrow some pics. Tonight gotta get thru the effects of "home brew".

What a great day guys, thank you.

Mike

Missed it .. too many things going on today. Hope ya'll had a good and I'll meet you some other day.

Too bad you couldn't have made it out Aasland, but it's understood. Hopefully "some other day" might come around this summer. I know I need to ride more on the weekends.

Here's a few photo's...proves at least one person did some work.

MNTechDay1.jpg

MNTechDay4.jpg

MNTechDay3.jpg

MNTechDay2.jpg

And looky what TripperMike made over the winter, pretty cool...

MNTechDay5.jpg

And looky what TripperMike made over the winter, pretty cool...

MNTechDay5.jpg
OK, I have to ask. Why would you build a Disco version???

Are you stuck in the 80's are do you just use the disco ball you had in the basement???

Inquiring minds want to know!!

OK, I have to ask. Why would you build a Disco version???

Are you stuck in the 80's are do you just use the disco ball you had in the basement???

Inquiring minds want to know!!

I can't believe you'd slam Disco at a time yet so close to Barry Gibb's death.

A moment of silence please ---------------------------

So anyways....

When I started this project, obviously my first priority was to keep it light and yet strong enough to last for a while. I wanted to be able to cut the parts and shape them as the project progressed. So I used the thickest aluminum that I could and yet still be able to bend in my panbreak, which isn't that terribly thick. The weak link in this project was I knew absolutely squat about welding.

First thing I learned about welding, aluminum moves like a son-of-a-bisquit the moment you hit it with a TIG.

Long story short, I used fiber filled bondo to try to hide the worst of the warped areas but I wasn't going to use all that would be needed to be able to put a nice paint job on it. Used a splatter paint most commonly used for car trunk interiors and then fogged it with Dupli-Color Nite Lites.

So I guess I accomplished what I wanted as far as the appearance is concerned. You commented on the Disco ball effect and not on why I would make such a warped looking tank. :) So I guess this tank should go well with my all white riding suit, you know the one with the deep-V cut in the front and the flaired bell bottom pants.

Anyways, I've got to get back to the basement and finish listening to my BeeGees 8-track collection.

I should also add, one of the other high priorities was it had to be used in conjunction with Gerauld's large rack. That rack is so useful on longer trips. So with that rack and the tanji inspired platform on the tank, I should be able to carry quite enough on a trip.

Mike