Modifications/Customization

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cycle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you done modifications or customization to your bike that improved its performance or riding comfort?

Yer kidding, right? That's all the people here do! They don't ride. They buys bikes, spend 2 or 3 years of wages modifying and customizing, then roll them out of the garage on Sunday mornings to wash and wax and roll them back in at sundown. Sometimes they make vroom vroom noises but those are the really lonely owners, "normal" owners don't go for such nonsense.

You're not really a member member here, are you? Either that or you just woke up from a coma.......

In all fairness, we all do stuff to improve functionality, ergonomics and convenience. Just not in the same way as done in some (HD) circles.

Very little makes a performance gain in terms of power, acceleration or top speed but lots of modified suspensions are out there. Definitely classified under the performance heading. Power Commander to improve fuelling at low throttle openings (esp. early Gen II).

Not to mention custom seats, windscreens, aux lighting, footpegs, backrests, FZ1 mirrors, power distribution, handlebar risers, hand levers, radiator guards, tour trunks, luggage racks, helmet locks, reflective decals, brakelight flashers, aux fuel tanks, turn signal cancelers etc.

We do lots of stuff to modify bikes but as a group, it is far more on the side of comfort and functionality rather than the creation of a garage queen. We don't tend to spend money on "useless" stuff.

Not so much on the physical bling such as chrome or custom paint but have read lots of discussions on the sound and appearance of aftermarket exhaust.

As a discussion topic, I don't know if it will fly or not - most of this stuff has been done to death in hundreds of threads in tech or general discussions.

In all fairness, we all do stuff to improve functionality, ergonomics and convenience. Just not in the same way as done in some (HD) circles.

Very little makes a performance gain in terms of power, acceleration or top speed but lots of modified suspensions are out there. Definitely classified under the performance heading. Power Commander to improve fuelling at low throttle openings (esp. early Gen II).

Not to mention custom seats, windscreens, aux lighting, footpegs, backrests, FZ1 mirrors, power distribution, handlebar risers, hand levers, radiator guards, tour trunks, luggage racks, helmet locks, reflective decals, brakelight flashers, aux fuel tanks, turn signal cancelers etc.

We do lots of stuff to modify bikes but as a group, it is far more on the side of comfort and functionality rather than the creation of a garage queen. We don't tend to spend money on "useless" stuff.

Not so much on the physical bling such as chrome or custom paint but have read lots of discussions on the sound and appearance of aftermarket exhaust.

As a discussion topic, I don't know if it will fly or not - most of this stuff has been done to death in hundreds of threads in tech or general discussions.
Yep. What he said. I will add, the stock drivers seat on my 2003 HURT so I sent it off to Spencer for modification and boy am I happy. Just that simple mod made the bike WAY more comfy which leads to more saddle time. I think that's the main mod most FJR owners do.

As a discussion topic, the "What Did You Do" threads already have what was done, why and usualyy a couple folks chiming in.

I understand the OP was just making conversation.

I believe the OP was looking for contributions to support the forum. Thinking we spend money to improve our bikes so why not spend money to improve the forum. Just my $.02.:unsure:

I believe the OP was looking for contributions to support the forum. Thinking we spend money to improve our bikes so why not spend money to improve the forum. Just my $.02.:unsure:
The "support" part of the post is part of his signature. Nothing wrong with that since he/she is an owner or represents them as an Admin.
Still, you are right that a thread like this might entice someone to contribute, especially if they gain valuable information. Same with someone who benefits from commercial transactions in the "For Sale" section.

As an aside, I don't think I would have placed it in the "Other Bike/Bike Related Discussion" section of the "Off-Topic Discussion" sub-forum. This is supposed to be about FJR modifications, isn't it?

Yep. What he said. I will add, the stock drivers seat on my 2003 HURT so I sent it off to Spencer for modification and boy am I happy. Just that simple mod made the bike WAY more comfy which leads to more saddle time. I think that's the main mod most FJR owners do.
Spencer? I want to drop the saddle height on my '17, and am looking for someone who doesn't just carve out foam and re-use the cover - or something almost as bad to it.