Moly and Lithium Grease

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider_FJR

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 11.55.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 11.55.25 AM.png
    228.7 KB · Views: 0
I would suggest that grease would be suitable for pretty much anything on the FJR. Anyone ever heard of FJR drive splines that wore out because somebody used the wrong grease?

I would suggest that grease would be suitable for pretty much anything on the FJR. Anyone ever heard of FJR drive splines that wore out because somebody used the wrong grease?
Thanks for reply. Going to AutoZone and looking at all those different types of grease brands...I'll be honest, it's confusing. Grease is not expense, I just want to make sure I use the correct type.

Thank again for reply.

Not to say there's anything wrong with molybdenum based greases. They hold up very well under high heat and pressure. They are also messy and (in my opinion) not needed on the FJR. The forward drive splines/u-joint would be the only place I would consider using it but I don't bother. That doesn't get taken apart frequently.

Not to say there's anything wrong with molybdenum based greases. They hold up very well under high heat and pressure. They are also messy and (in my opinion) not needed on the FJR. The forward drive splines/u-joint would be the only place I would consider using it but I don't bother. That doesn't get taken apart frequently.
What grease brand/type did you use on axle and driveshaft, if you don't mind me asking.

Don't remember. Generic synthetic waterproof grease.

Edit: I think it was this one, but it might have been a Wynn's product. Depends if I was doing the work at home or in my friend's shop.
(I use it for a lot of stuff but nothing special. Container lasts forever.)

1636378146214.jpeg

Last edited:
I use water resistant marine wheel bearing grease, like you'd use for boat trailer wheels bearing that get submerged regularly. Because it doesn't wash out. It gets used on everything everywhere.

IMHO if you're looking to buy different kinds of greases you are definitely over thinking it. My experience has shown if you don't ride in the rain, and never get heavy mmorning dew on it, and never ride in more than 55% humidity, and never ride on wet roads, and have loads of time to be disassembling and greasing rather than riding, then different grease uses are fine. Otherwise- not.

I use water resistant marine wheel bearing grease, like you'd use for boat trailer wheels bearing that get submerged regularly. Because it doesn't wash out. It gets used on everything everywhere.
Yup. KISS principle. Fact is that nothing we need to grease on the FJR is especially severe service, high speed, extreme pressure or high temperature relative to some applications. Some bikes benefit for high molybdenum disulfide content for drive splines in some bikes but not needed on the FJR. (I think it is highly recommended for Goldwing?)
As rbentnail mentions, waterproof is good and I wouldn't use a grease that melted at too low a temperature. Keeping water out of vulnerable areas (relay arm, rear brake pivot, shift linkage, brake/clutch levers etc.) is important.

Thanks everyone. I have taken my FJR from Chicago to some amazing places in US, Canada and even Alaska. Alaska, Yukon, New Foundland are some of the best places I have visited. Colorado and Utah is special as well.
I think I'm over thinking all the grease stuff, but I just wanted to make sure I don't make wrong mistake. For example, RossKean said that "Fact is that nothing we need to grease on the FJR is especially severe service, high speed, extreme pressure or high temperature relative to some applications". I have assumed that all gears are high speed (because at 80mph they move fast). Extreme pressure (Well, bike is heavy, so pressure must be high), high temps (well, again, moving fast, gears move fast, weight of bike, produces heat). I guess that is note the case.