More than one bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zolton

Reaction score
A lot of folks here seem to own more than one bike. I have an '04 Suzuki SV650 nekid (not at all stock) and an '06 FJR (pretty much stock so far)

I had an '03 SV650S but that's another story :unsure:

I rode the SV for over 3 years before I bought the FJR. I used to take the SV everywhere, even on long trips of 10 days or more and thought it was the greatest bike. Then I met someone who liked to ride on the back so I got the FJR for the "long rides" and really never got on the SV for the last 2 years.

I just got the SV out the other day and went for a good ride and.....Holy crap! :eek:

That bike which I thought was "all that" now feels like a little toy. Light lever/clutch action, scrunched up riding posture and so flickable, it feels like its made from styrofoam. And not nearly as powerful as I remembered. Riding the FJR has certainly changed how I feel about my other toy :p

How has owning an FJR changed how you see YOUR other bike?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! yes, I have an '02 SV-650N, and it feels like "a Schwinn with a 60hp motor" now. I still love it and keep it because it's *so* different now. Plus it's a lot cooler to ride in the Florida summer too (and a lot wetter too!) I use it as the groceries mule with the 3 Givi E-45 bags.

It's also a ton easier to work on than the FJR too.

It did make me realize the front suspension is right out of Suzuki's bargain junk bin, so I got some Race Tech emulators for it. Then I found out I had no idea how to set up a suspension, so it was a learning experience. Yes, a SV-650 will put you on your ass when you bottom the front fork because you don't have enough preload and/or a stiff enough spring. Don't ask how I know...

The SV also really makes me miss my '84 RZ-350, but I don't miss all the hassles of a two-stroke that much.

I've had the SV for 51,000 miles and I've even taken it from Florida to Tennessee for the Hoot, and up to DC for the Nat'l Air&Space museum.

got/getting rid of my '83 Goldwing and '99 Vulcan 750

Feejer is the best bike I've ever owned and most (knock on wood) comfortable/reliable that I can't get enough riding it and AIW (Angelic Italian Wifey) and daughters love riding on the back very much.

no complaints the way I've got it setup

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I sold an 05 SV650N to get the FJR...I know exactly what you mean. I currently have the FJR, a Harley Dyna Bobber and a Yamaha XS650. All three different bikes completely, so it isn't even worth a comparison. I enjoy the Harley (hold your tongues, haters) very much...it has character. The XS is currently COMPLETELY dismantled - I'm doing a frame up restoration/customization into a cafe racer. The FJR, though, is my true mate...the other two are just mistresses.

bikes are task specific...

the fjr does alot of things well tho... when its time to shred the blacktops at go tp jail speed and play around with 4 gear wheelies i get out the 12r... when its time to hit the woods the CRF gets the nod... when its time to ride a ton of miles or cart around the wife i jump on the FJR...

the 86 GSXR and the RZ are kept around because i dont like selling bikes B)

I have to say that my FJ can still hold its own in the power department-with a few mods it's running about the same rear wheel hp. However, because the power delivery is so different (shaft compared to chain, weight, carbs ve EFI, etc.), it's hard to tell which is quicker. My son rides the FJ also (won't race me, which I am OK with) and when he tried the FJR, said he wasn't comfortable with it because it responded so quickly compared to the FJ. I'm sure if I updated the suspension on the FJ it'd handle as quick or faster due to the weight difference, but who knows. In any case, the FJR responds so quick and is a lot more comfy, so I ride it most of the time-but it is fun to get the FJ out a couple of times a week.

Ha! yes, I have an '02 SV-650N, and it feels like "a Schwinn with a 60hp motor" now. I still love it and keep it because it's *so* different now. Plus it's a lot cooler to ride in the Florida summer too (and a lot wetter too!) I use it as the groceries mule with the 3 Givi E-45 bags.
It's also a ton easier to work on than the FJR too.

It did make me realize the front suspension is right out of Suzuki's bargain junk bin, so I got some Race Tech emulators for it. Then I found out I had no idea how to set up a suspension, so it was a learning experience. Yes, a SV-650 will put you on your ass when you bottom the front fork because you don't have enough preload and/or a stiff enough spring. Don't ask how I know...

The SV also really makes me miss my '84 RZ-350, but I don't miss all the hassles of a two-stroke that much.

I've had the SV for 51,000 miles and I've even taken it from Florida to Tennessee for the Hoot, and up to DC for the Nat'l Air&Space museum.

I stiffened the springs and put emulators on my SV as well as a full Yoshumira race exhaust and many other goodies. It's like a roaring little hot rod now.

The SV is like a little jackrabbit and the FJR is like an intercontinental ballistic missile.

When I had more then one street bike there was no comparison. The bikes were not the same, Sport Bike Vs Sport Touring, so it wouldn't make sense to compare them. Each one was unique in it's way and served two very different fucntions. I understand they are both motorcycles, but how to ride and enjoy them is a whole nother story.

I do like the FeeJ as a sport touring bike, it's awesome!

My other bike, 05 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600. Bought new in Aug 06. Since I bought the FJR in May of 08, I've put about 2500km on this one.

Still for sale for $8000. Any takers?

Pict0383.jpg

I love my SV...still a blast to ride. Apples and oranges really. What the SV lacks in raw hp it makes up for in the nimble dept. It was the LD/2up capability and looks that attracted me to the FJR. I really don't need 120+ rwhp from a bike that I essentially use for a touring rig...although I still have to dial it up on occasion to make sure it's still there. :rolleyes: Next bike will be a dual sport or something vintage.

I've got an '87 FJ1200. Got about 119K on it. Thought it was a huge, fast machine. Upgraded the suspension and brakes. Handles pretty well, compared to stock. Now I call it the 'little bike'. Seems tiny, thin, nimble, now. Not quite the power of the FJR, obviously. And since I have tons more miles on that bike, I'm still more confident in the twisties on the FJ. But it hasn't seen much use since I got the FJR in Sept.

I sold a V Strom 650 to get the FJR, while I also own a 2002 GL 1800 and still love that bike. The GL gets me and the GF out on weekends and for longer two up rides. Now that I have the FJR (2003) I use any excuse I have to ride that bike. I know it isn't a liter power machine, it isn't a true luxury touring machine but it can be the do it all bike that the V strom wasn't. Even my GF will jump on the back and go out for some "adrenaline ride". What is the biggest difference between my FJR and GL....easy one is a motorcycle the other is a touring machine that goes fast.

I sold my 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic to get my '07 FJR.

No comparison in the riding styles/comfort - I can't see myself going back to a cruiser for any type of distance riding.

With that said, I do see a dual-sport in my near future.

My FJR is the perfect bike for me. It has everything that I have always wanted in a bike and then some. I still have my old '83 Midnight Maxim 750. It leaks oil, is low on power, and has very poor brakes, but it is interesting and I ride it once in a while. I really keep it around because my wife likes to ride it once or twice a year. Every time I think about getting something newer and better I have a hard time coming up with something that both of us would like, so we keep the old Maxim.

My oldest daughter and her fiance have matching SV650S's and her's is in my garage but I can't ride it for long before it starts to hurt so I leave that for the younger folks. If I could scrunch myself up onto a sport bike for long enough to enjoy a ride I would have a nice liter bike in the garage along with the FJR.

My "other bike" is a '98 VFR800. Being that this is intended as a sport touring bike it is a little closer in terms of purpose than those with cruisers or sport bikes.

2446611370098858932S500x500Q85.jpg

They are actually pretty close (on paper) in the power to weight ratios. The FJR @ 610 lbs wet / makes 126 rwhp vs. the VFR @ 499 lbs wet / 97 rwhp. But you do have to wring out the VFR pretty hard to get up near the 100 hp level. And as soon as you drop a couple hundred lbs of rider and gear on, the edge tips favorable to the bigger engine. The big difference that you feel when riding them is in the engine torque. The FJR has considerably more torque, as you would expect with an extra half liter of displacement. Still the VFR is an exhilarating ride and, especially when solo, will pass cages and semis with great alacrity.

The FJR is more stable at highway speeds, as you would also expect given an additional 100 lbs. But the weight also make it slower handling, less "flickable" in the twisties, and eats tires at a gluttonous rate in comparison. I can actually run sport bike tires on the VFR and not be replacing them every 3k miles. Having an extra 100lbs on-board is like already having my wife on the back (unlike me, she's small).

The weather coverage is clearly superior on the FJR. But in the hot summer months the extra air of the VFR is often quite welcome. With the stock (low) windshield on there is none of the head buffeting and noise we all fight on the bigger windshield FJR. Of course cutting down the stock shield or tipping it back with spacers helps there a lot.

Even though they are close in purpose, when the rubber hits the road they are quite different in action, each having their advantages and disadvantages. That's why I'll be keeping them both for a long time... ;)

3003_87766112805_572507805_2527976_6479225_n.jpg

Had a buyer for this a couple weeks ago, but when push came to shove, couldn't sell her, and I won't.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much fun. Light, flickable, lots of power, fun in the twisties

....and my 1st bike. She stays :)

My third bike, a Moto Guzzi Stelvio:

kurtbrown_motoguzzistelvio1.jpg

I also have a Buell Ulysses for sale.

3003_87766112805_572507805_2527976_6479225_n.jpg

Had a buyer for this a couple weeks ago, but when push came to shove, couldn't sell her, and I won't.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much fun. Light, flickable, lots of power, fun in the twisties

....and my 1st bike. She stays :)

Ive got a 07 with the 2bros cannons on it. Way more fun in the twisties than the Feejer. Lots of fun between 8 and 14K rpm.