More than one bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL

I am looking at Fizzers right now. I think a FZ1 and a Feej make a GREAT combo. I am aiming at that for the remake of Cdog

Three bikes for three completely different ways to have fun.

TTR125 - kiddy dirt bike. I can almost reach the ground. I can pick the bike up on my own. More times than I can count, the little bike has pulled me out of a situation where I was surely going to fall off. About the best use of 7HP there is. I love this bike.

G650GS - newest addition to the garage. 400lbs. Stock ABS and heated grips. Low frame, low 29" seat means that I can get both feet almost down, or one flat foot. Low, confidence inspiring center of gravity. This is MY size bike. I can back it up on my own, make tight turns, ride on loose surfaces. I can also enjoy the contrast between on and off riding. Almost the perfect bike for me but the lack of wind protection makes is less desirable on the freeway. 60-70mph is OK but any more than that involves hanging on real tight, which is tiring. But I still love this bike.

FJR - all time favorite. Oodles of intoxicating power. Smooth. Unfortunately, the bike is way too big for me, at speeds less than 5mph. Once it's rolling I'm fine but the height and weight distribution make for scary moments in parking lots. I still love this bike.

2003 FJR

2003 V-Strom 1000

2007 GSXR 750

Three completely different machines for three completely different purposes: GSXR - torture rack suitable for the track or shorter gigs carving canyons; V-Strom - great day-rider, commuter but can be pressed into LD touring duty, capable on maintained gravel for off-pavement exploration; FJR - does it all, with the exception of off-pavement, though I have done that, too, on dozens of occasions. Comfortable, fast, handles pretty well and (for me) is dead reliable. Strom and FJR could be a toss-up in the question as to "if i only had one bike..."

I have a Goldwing - in fact, I just traded an 05 for an 09 a few months ago. I have it for one reason, and only one reason - for riding two-up when my wife is with me. I prefer the FJR for all my riding by myself - including the week-long trips I take. My typical trip is 8 days to either the Smokeys or Rockies, and we average 400-500 miles a day, with some days over 600 miles. I can ride my FJR 600 miles easier than I can ride the Goldwing 400 miles.

I wish I still had my '92 ZX-6 (actually, I wish I had held on to all of my bikes)... It was a really awesome first bike, and it was such a screamer with it's Vance&Hines exhaust.

The Feejer is def the best bike I've ever owned. Its the first sporty bike I've owned where I don't feel all gargantuan on. I'm sure there's plenty of other 6'3", 220lbs+ owners that totally agree with me.

Had a BMW f 650 fun as hell, no power, but never felt like I was gonna drop her in a parking lot. You think comparing a 650 to an FJR shows how much power the feejer has, but the new addition to our stable, a ninja 250 for my 15 and a half year old son feels like a bicycle with a lawnmower engine attached by way of comparison. Easy as heck to steer, and fun in its own right, but there is NO WAY I'm letting him near the FJR, and this is a GREAT first bike for him. As long as he never rides anything CLOSE to the FJR, the ninja will feel plenty fast to him. For me, once you go up to an FJR, there is just no going back.

new addition to our stable, a ninja 250 for my 15 and a half year old son feels like a bicycle with a lawnmower engine attached by way of comparison. Easy as heck to steer, and fun in its own right, but there is NO WAY I'm letting him near the FJR, and this is a GREAT first bike for him. As long as he never rides anything CLOSE to the FJR, the ninja will feel plenty fast to him.
I like that little Ninja. Plenty of power for learning and having fun. Had a 650R for a while and loved it. Our son gazes longingly at the bikes. He's had a license for about six years now but not ridden any of our bikes. The offer was made for him to ride an old Honda 250 dual sport and see how he did on that. There is no way on this earth that he gets to practice on Mom's FJR. Geez - even Dad has to ask special permission to ride the fastest bike in our collection.

Funny how so many lamented selling their first bike here. My wife told me the other day that she wishes I still had my Yamaha Radian!

The FJR is my only street bike; I do have a YFZ450 quad that is hands down my favorite toy/dune vehicle I have ever owned. Since moving to Nevada, I have been looking for a dual sport (lot's of mountains here, but few paved roads). I just wish Yamaha would bring the Tenere here; they earned my loyalty with the Banshee...

I have a Goldwing - in fact, I just traded an 05 for an 09 a few months ago. I have it for one reason, and only one reason - for riding two-up when my wife is with me. I prefer the FJR for all my riding by myself - including the week-long trips I take. My typical trip is 8 days to either the Smokeys or Rockies, and we average 400-500 miles a day, with some days over 600 miles. I can ride my FJR 600 miles easier than I can ride the Goldwing 400 miles.
Ditto...my '97 Wing is only used for the same reasons.

My other bike,and most 'em before, is British Iron. My dad being a Brit and an Isle of Mann finisher [on a Bennelli 250 six banger] ruined me when he gave me my first ride at the tender age a four riding up on the tank of a '52 Royal Enfield Indian. I would get this bike four years later and its been on ever since. My latest is a modded up '06 Thrux that I just can't get enough of. Because its a single seater, my honey MADE ME get another bike. :yahoo: So after a year of research in the sport touring bike , I bought the Feejer and SHE couldn't be happier. But its the Thrux and me on twisties and the track when I have spare dough.

2001 Honda Magna V4. Fun "cruisr" with a bit more performance high revving engine than many bikes of similar size/weight/geometry etc. Since FJR purchase in Oct 2008 the Magna has seen, um, hmmm, maybe 30 miles. Wife and I put 250 miles on the FJR for a 2 up day trip last weekend. Got home and wife said "lets take the Magna for a spin to compare since we are all geared up." Magna felt like a kid bike to us both. Its still nice and that V4 engine has its own appeal, but no real comparison to the FJR in my book. Maybe I should sell it...Love the Feejer.

I know it's heresy but the feejer has hardly been ridden since December 2007. It's all farkled up, new oil, maintenance all done.

The ZX-14 is just so much fun, so much power, and so very ego-ey.

My second bike is a 04 R6, totally different type of riding, all I need is a Motard for something in between the two types.

Marcus

Had a buyer for this a couple weeks ago, but when push came to shove, couldn't sell her, and I won't.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much fun. Light, flickable, lots of power, fun in the twisties

....and my 1st bike. She stays :)

Ive got a 07 with the 2bros cannons on it. Way more fun in the twisties than the Feejer. Lots of fun between 8 and 14K rpm.
+1, beat 'the buzz' and let 'er rip!

My other bike is a Suzuki GSX1400K6

The GSX1400 is not available in the USA and that's a pity as it is a very good machine.

It does everything well and has power to spare, it is called the Grunt Master and it is.

Motor and 6 speed trans are smoother than the FJR, plus it only costs AUS$12,000, US$9,600 new.

They are fairly bullet proof, a friend of mines bike has turned 256,000 klms (159,000 miles)

Other than cam chain replacements and normal servicing it has never been apart.

It is not emission compliant, that's why it is not sold over there.

And the stock seat is very comfy.

gsx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My other bike is a Ural. Lets see, hmmm, how to compare . Nope cannot do it , all I can say is they are different. Boy are they different.

Mac

Latest posts