Morro Bay Feb 24

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could join you. I grew up in Exeter and went to school at Cal Poly in SLO. Yesterday was the first day in about a week the temp. got above 32 degrees here.

Lots of fantastic roads in Central Coast area.

Since Bob is posting pics from the last trip...here's a shot of Morro from CA 1
And another:

MVC-007S.jpg

What time do you anticipate hitting Maricopa?
I've got some work to do on Saturday, but I might try to meet up in Maricopa and partake in the excursion over 58 to the coast, which is a marvelous ride.

Thanks.

Paste.
If you guys are taking 58, you might try a short, but very worthwhile diversion and take 229 to 41 from 58 near Santa Margarita. That road might just be the best motorcycle road in the world. Actually...just ride up 229 to Creston then turn around and do it again the other way. Twice still isn't good enough, but well worth the time!!!
ho hummm.. I ride 229 3x a week. Yawn.. :rolleyes:

What time do you anticipate hitting Maricopa?
I've got some work to do on Saturday, but I might try to meet up in Maricopa and partake in the excursion over 58 to the coast, which is a marvelous ride.

Thanks.

Paste.
If you guys are taking 58, you might try a short, but very worthwhile diversion and take 229 to 41 from 58 near Santa Margarita. That road might just be the best motorcycle road in the world. Actually...just ride up 229 to Creston then turn around and do it again the other way. Twice still isn't good enough, but well worth the time!!!
ho hummm.. I ride 229 3x a week. Yawn.. :rolleyes:
Well if you take it 3x a week, you must have a reason...it sure isn't the fastest way to get anywhere unless you live in Creston :rolleyes:

I guess I have to take the plunge sometime but I'll give it a shot. This will be the longest ride I've taken in a loooooonnnnnnggggg time.

PLEASE give me an estimate of when you plan on hitting Maricopa, so that I can possibly join the crew from that point heading back to the coast. OR, email or PM me.

Thanks.

Paste.

TWN: Thanks for the time estimate for Maricopa arrival. I've got some work scheduled for Saturday morning, but I'm going to try to get out to that Shell station if at all possible.

Thanks again.

Paste.

Hmm,

Well, it looks like a ride to eat from Reno. Not 100%yet, but likely about 80%. Should be at 99% by thursday night.

Up to lake Tahoe, down to Placervills, hwy 49 to Oakhurst, hwy 49 to Morro Bay

...then up hwy 1 hugging the coast and then picking one of the good goat trails to Petaluma

...east to Napa, then up over Lake Berryesa to winter to Yuba City, Nevada City then 20 to 80 ...and then home.

Need to find a motel a few hundred miles+/- north of Morro Bay Saturday night ...open to suggestions.

Here is my preliminary map.

morro5.gif

PS: Kinda like this riding to eat theme ...last weekend rode to San Diego for BBQ ribs LOL

...renojohn

I've stayed in Half Moon Bay. There are a couple of motels on the West side of the highway. One gave me a downstairs room so I could park the bike in front of the door. That's a couple hundred miles + North of Morrow Bay.

The Ragged Point Inn, approximately 20+ miles North of San Simeon is a nice place (motel, restaurant, mini-mart, gas) with unbelievable views both North and South along Hwy 1 and it's about 2-3 miles North of the area where the Elephant Seals are mating, this time of year.

The Ragged Point Inn, approximately 20+ miles North of San Simeon is a nice place (motel, restaurant, mini-mart, gas) with unbelievable views both North and South along Hwy 1 and it's about 2-3 miles North of the area where the Elephant Seals are mating, this time of year.
I can ride to Carmel/Monterey and back home in 6 hours (2 ways) up "The One" (CA. Hwy. 1) from Morro Bay.

This is the place I would recommend;

https://gocalifornia.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...oaksbigsur.com/

cheers,

Hmm, Well, it looks like a ride to eat from Reno. Not 100%yet, but likely about 80%. Should be at 99% by thursday night.

Up to lake Tahoe, down to Placervills, hwy 49 to Oakhurst, hwy 49 to Morro Bay

...then up hwy 1 hugging the coast and then picking one of the good goat trails to Petaluma

...east to Napa, then up over Lake Berryesa to winter to Yuba City, Nevada City then 20 to 80 ...and then home.

Need to find a motel a few hundred miles+/- north of Morro Bay Saturday night ...open to suggestions.

Here is my preliminary map.

morro5.gif

PS: Kinda like this riding to eat theme ...last weekend rode to San Diego for BBQ ribs LOL

...renojohn
Really RenoJohn, you should learn how to put miles on a bike in a weekend. :rolleyes: . Hat's off dude. BTW now way am I letting you into the CBA.. :unsure:

Really RenoJohn, you should learn how to put miles on a bike in a weekend. :rolleyes: . Hat's off dude. BTW now way am I letting you into the CBA.. :unsure:
LOL mr. Carver. Well, I've been watching the weather and it is going to be a close one. I wish I could call it one way or another but at this point I think if I can get out of Reno tomorrow afternoon I'll be OK. I'll get over the hill and spend the night either in Pollock Pines or the Clovis area ...then an easy ride into lunch Sat am. then up the coast a bit and home Sunday. Not that big of a deal. Last weekend did San Diego and back includng a bunch of twisties throgh Idylwild(SP?) and a BBQ at Phil's new location downtown as well as time on the marina ...back in reno 32hours later. Tryng to get the hang of this fat sportbike.Yep, not ready for the CBA (yet) ....but there is always next weekend LOL

thanks for the fun

Khunajawdge, 007, madmike2:

...thanks for the tips. I've got them all noted and soon in the GPS ....but right now I'm more concerned with getting over the hill. saturday night may be more by brail than by planning. thanks

ToeCutter: I hope to pick up your part in renno tomorrow mid/late morning. Should I not make it down I'll get it to you another way ASAP

....getting snowed upon in reno ...john

Last edited by a moderator:
Two notes:<snip>

2) With rain Thursday and Friday, the top of 33 on the north side could be icy. A call to the CHP before you jump onto Hwy 150 @ the 126 might be wise. If icy, you can divert to the 5N or double back to 101 where I could lead you through Santa Ynez Valley and northward.
Sage advice... there is fresh snow at Frazier and into Lockwood Valley, so Pine Mountain Summit likely has same at 6000' summit. Tomorrow AM could be d-icey!

9 AM update from CalTrans site:

SR 33

[LOS ANGELES & VENTURA CO.'S]

CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM PINE MOUNTAIN INN TO LOCKWOOD RANGER STATION (VENTURA CO)

Count me in on this ride anyway! I'll meet BigD and the others in Moorpark.

BTW, TWN - "Wabs"??? - did you go do a "Bluestreak" kind of thing? :clapping:

Effjay

Last edited by a moderator:
John, I would have hooked up with you on 49, but I have to leave here by 6am to be in Gorda on ca1 by 11AM...if you get through the snow, have a great ride. I really enjoy 49 down to 41 and 41 down the hill to Fresno isn't too shabby either (although traffic can be an issue, but it should be better this time of year rather than in summer).

Wabs, is that something like being on the rag.
Sage advice... there is fresh snow at Frazier and into Lockwood Valley, so Pine Mountain Summit likely has same at 6000' summit. Tomorrow AM could be d-icey!9 AM update from CalTrans site:

SR 33

[LOS ANGELES & VENTURA CO.'S]

CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM PINE MOUNTAIN INN TO LOCKWOOD RANGER STATION (VENTURA CO)

Count me in on this ride anyway! I'll meet BigD and the others in Moorpark.

BTW, TWN - "Wabs"??? - did you go do a "Bluestreak" kind of thing? :clapping:

Effjay
Wabs© : A TWN contraction of Wee and ABS. Wee, as in Little VStrom, i.e. DL650A (E33) K7. (See, I even have the right model number for the Cali spec bike!)

Paging Dr. BigD, Dr. BigD... to the planning room, stat! I wholly recommend that 33 be avoided Saturday. It's gonna be icy on the north side.

John, I would have hooked up with you on 49, but I have to leave here by 6am to be in Gorda on ca1 by 11AM...if you get through the snow, have a great ride. I really enjoy 49 down to 41 and 41 down the hill to Fresno isn't too shabby either (although traffic can be an issue, but it should be better this time of year rather than in summer).
OV fjr:
I'm leaving within an hour or so ...first stop Pollock Pines ...which may be brief or long. if i don't stay there I'll likely try to knock out 49 today and stay in Oakhurst/clovis/fresno or something

Not sure I understand your itinerary ....would it work to meet up very early tomorow morning somwhere (on 49?) ..or anywhere is good for me. are you going0 ...if that is the case it might make it more likely for me to spend the night in Pollock Pines tongiht and we could ride 49 together tomorrow.

PS: I have a present for you ...not a keeper but something that you can either give back when you're done or replace. I think you'll really enjoy it.

...renojohn