Moto vlogging on your FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's sample that's now five(!) years old, but I think it still gets the job of "a funny thing happened while I was riding" done.

The camera (SJCam SJ7) has bandwidth issues, but was simple to use. Shooting 1080P @ 60 fps still strikes me as crisp enough for YT work.

This clip was taken out of a full day of "turn it on, let it run, and sort it out later" shooting. I used external battery packs to keep the camera running for 4+ hours at a go, changing chips and battery packs at lunchtime. Non-stop 4K just isn't happening with simple cameras - they cook themselves to death and/or shut down.

Shooting everything and then sorting out later means not trying to produce a video and riding at the same time. Making a note or two along the way, to figure just when something good happened, is a good idea, but usually the footage gives enough of an idea about where "good stuff" is.

Point of view (POV).... IMNSHO the camera on top of a helmet POV is just plain stupid. It's not a point of view anyone experiences while riding - it's "here's a camera on top of my head".

I keep my camera at eye level - the POV's easy to relate to. It's what we know. It's easy to say "here's how this scene or event looked to me".

Picking this video apart...
Yeah, titles are somewhat slow. This clip is taken out of all of the videos that came out of a single trip. They all have a common opening to, I hope, tie them together.

I did the title crawls on black because reading titles on scenery, etc. can be a little challenging.

The "dropped" titling was done with some mild title editing. Each title is really two titles - one in black, as a shadow, and one in yellow, as the "to be read" text. This is the sort of thing that looks stupid simple, but actually takes some processing power during the editing. Nudging the shadow into place took some "wash, rinse, repeat" to get everything lined up right. It took more time to do than might be expected.

During the opening, note when the titles change. The cut it right on the beat with the soundtrack. Resolve makes this easy to visualize, but keeping all of the bits of audio straight does take a bit of thinking about.

Listen closely, and there is some wind and engine noise in the background. I didn't want a final sound track that was just the music. Videos with nothing but wind rush... pathetic, simply pathetic.

I could have done the commentary as voice-overs, I suppose, but it didn't seem like a good idea at the time. Looking at the video now, yeah, well, maybe voice-over in post isn't such a bad idea.

Live voice-over has problems. Often the sound quality is simply unusable - excess noise, "wet mouth" or "mic in mouth", or what was said then isn't what's needed now. On a group ride, if only one person's audio is recorded, what that person's reacting to is lost.

Overall, looking at this video after a couple of years, it definitely wants some tightening up. At a guess, I could probably take out about two minutes of run time - tighten the titles, the opening drive, some of "stuck in traffic", and watching "Fast Vinny" ride off.

I used Jamendo.com for the music because the material is royalty-free. But that doesn't keep someone from making copyright claims on video using that material. Looking at the summary of all of the videos I've posted, including the twenty four videos from The Great Alps Trip, most of them have a copyright claim by somebody. The Alps videos all share three tracks (two in the open, one in the close), but not all of them have copyright claims.

The takeaway: beats the heck out of me what the rules are here. The closer something on YT gets to almost any money at all, the crazier people get. Expect some surprises.

Last edited:

I put this up as a sample of some simple effects, using Resolve, that, I think, set up overall video's setting.

I used a freeze frame for the Maricopa County, Tonto National Forest, and "Curves Mountain Grades" signs. Pick the frame that gets the job done, and mark out how many frames / seconds long it should be shown.

There's a simple dissolve cut between the last two signs. I tried to set it up so the center line doesn't dance across the screen - sometimes easier said than done...

The Title crawl has a couple of gimmicks in it. First, like the On B158 video, the dropped shadow is really two crawls running at the same time. The final "Mug & Hogtie" (rodeo roping terms, BTW) is another pair of crawls superimposed on the earlier crawl and background. Or, at one point there are four crawls superimposed on the background. Editing takes computer horsepower.

Coming to the first sharp turn, I slowed the frame rate to make the signage readable. This was done in post, not while shooting.

The camera was on a windshield mount. Look closely, and there's a reflection of the campground hang tag (Lost Dutchman State Park, east of Phoenix). I forgot it was there - doh... A lot of things can be fixed in post. This isn't one of them. Try to at least check footage in the field - hard to take out a bug splat that could have been cleaned if a check had shown it was there.

Once again, the camera is at about driver / rider eye level, giving a user-friendly POV.

Again, I shot 1080P @60 fps. The Sony FDR-X3000 camera has pretty good video bandwidth, which cuts down on pixilation (things look blocky - shows up a lot in the appearance of tarred roads). Again, I changed chips at breaks and, this time, used a cable to our VW's 12 volts for power.

The Sony FDR-X3000 camera is a darn good camera, with fantastic image stabilization. I pushed our Vanagon Westfalia van around the corners enough to get some body lean (early on, watch the reflection of the hang tag scoot across the dash!), but the camera stayed level. Rt 88 had just been repaved, so there are aren't lots of bumps, except getting on and off the bridges. NTL, I think the results here are darn good.

Although I don't shoot 4K, there's something to be said for transcoding 1080p to 4K. That is, the final video file is output at 4K resolution. This doesn't magically sharpen, or add detail 1080p misses - if the data's not in the file, it's not in the file, ever. What it does do is work around how YouTube compresses lower resolution video.

Some 1080p material I've posted wound up looking like it was drawn with a dull crayon. By transcoding to 4K, what's finally shown is very, very close to the original file before it was uploaded. The downsides:
  • The time to convert from 1080p to 4K isn't trivial. Horsepower is crucial! Expect to have to do the conversion more than once.
  • 4K files, even for only a few minutes of material, are huge. Lots of storage space is needed locally. Uploading isn't going to happen in no time flat.
  • When YT, or the connection, gets busy 4K playback is no fun.

But when there's a solid connection, and YT isn't acting weird, 4K looks great. Even if the original is "only" 1080.

A comment about the Sony FDR-X3000. It's an older camera, but, as I said, the image stabilization is amazing. Here's a demo of why it could be worth the effort to find one of these cameras. (Finally! FJR content!)

I had an instructor once tell me, "Words aren't children. It's okay to kill them."

It's the same with "hard-earned" video footage. Each moment is one of OUR precious memories but they aren't for others. Keep them engaged for 3 minutes and you've done more than a lot can.

My biggest challenge like that was editing down the footage I took years ago when helping build out a new office space for my OKC Division Office Co-Workers 2 days after the Murrah Building bombing. I spent weeks editing down footage that was especially difficult to watch for the FHWA Archives some 10+ years later.

Even though some of the news footage was multi-generational VHS copies of TV broadcasts, it was all there was after all the networks purged that segment from their archives.

Even so, I broke the 3 minute rule and suffer on the "completed views" score.

https://fjr-tips.org/misc/pics/FHWA.mp4

All done on a 6 year old iMac. I moved to a Macbook after that and learned my lesson. Just because 2 chips seem to be comparable, when the more powerful numbers are followed by an M, then it's the weaker chip. IOW: Mobile chips suck ass because they are concerned with power consumption. I sold the perfectly fine Macbook and went to a Mac Mini for the non-M performance with multi-tasking on video and audio editing and IO performance. File size isn't an issue if you have the memory, storage, and time to wait. After that, like bikes and cars, "how fast can you afford to go?"
I might have just helped you completed views score a little. I’d have never thought to photograph or video anything in the midst of that project.

"Video editing takes serious computer horsepower" to do in a timely manner.

LOL

I remember my first rendering of a 3d wire frame (reflections and all) in glorious VGA. Took 3 days to finish.