MotoGP at COTA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazelle

Reaction score
I'm hoping to attend the race Apr 10,1,12. (Won tickets, etc via the Yamaha contest). Can anyone give me any "pointers" ? Tickets include a 3 day parking pass (for autos only I think). Is there "good" parking "reserved" for bikes ? Is lodging going to be an issue ? Any suggestons as to where to stay (reasonably priced....all I'm gonna do is sleep there...most likely alone) ??

Any thoughts or suggestions ??

Thanks !!

Yes, I hope to ride from SC....

Gazelle

I'm riding down from Dallas area Saturday morning and staying in Bastrop, about 20 miles east of the track. There are a few cheaper hotels there, closer to Austin and it's a lot more expensive. Check priceline. There are two dedicated free bike lot's, B and D, that's where I'll head. Depending on your tickets, you may be able to park in the Yamaha dedicated lot and get to ride on the track.

I drive a courtesy golf cart at the track for events, and will be out there again this year, operating out of the med center.

Your parking pass will have a lot assignment on it, and I know there are certain sections assigned to bikes, and there are also sections set aside for specific brands, (Ducati had a large spot last year, for instance).

Lodging isn't an issue, but there is none at the track, which is out in the country. Like fjRaven mentioned, rooms are more expensive as you get closer to Austin. It all depends on how much you want to spend, and how much you want to do after the day's racing is over. If you want to experience the Austin nightlife, you'll probably want to stay closer in.

PM me with any other questions you may have.

There are several nice motels / hotels just south of Austin in Buda and you can commute on the (very nice) high-speed toll road. There are lots of amenities in Buda at the Cabelas exit, and if you go a few miles north on I-35 to Slaughter Ave there are almost unlimited amenities in the Southpark Meadows shopping area. Downtown Austin is nice and lots of fun but the traffic can be brutal and unforgiving. The restaurant and music scene in Austin is about as good as it gets.

If you get enough of the COTA action- ride out to Lukenbach on the back roads on a weekend. If you have never been to the Salt Lick restaurant in Driftwood- it might be worth a visit if you like BBQ- alcohol is BYO.

Don't shy away from the 130 toll road, it is great high speed riding and they do toll-by-plate for tourists.

Gazelle made it!

image1_zpsoidadove.jpg

keep us updated with more pics. Between the thunderstorms there and my cold, had to cancel my trip down there.

It was a pretty decent day, didn't really rain much until around 3. Heading out there again in an hour or two. Saw a news Slingshot out there, as well as Evel's bike from the '76 Wembley jump.

E6948B87-462B-42A8-8D55-2E84FC275BB6_zpskswuacqm.jpg

148222C8-FE5E-4889-98A9-EFB8A135C4A4_zpskmqellj2.jpg

Latest posts