Motorcycle Show

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildcat48

Reaction score
A great show, lots of stuff to see, like Orange County Chopper Boys and all the manufacturers and after market suppliers. I parked my butt on many bikes and of course, several times on the 2006 FJR's. They had both the 1300A and the AE. I took pictures but haven't figured out how to post them. The new seat felt a little wider to me and not any lower (not sure what the height setting was). It seems strange sitting on a bike with no clutch. The dash board dimmer is nice. I liked the new luggage rack and rear light with the clear turn signal lenses.

The automatic version had Battalax tires on it and the base model had the new Metzler Z6 tires. (I like the Metzler ZE4's and my neighbor with the Hayabusa loves the Battalax tires, so I'm sure either one is a good choice but I will probably try the Avons next since everyone raves about them.

After sitting on the FJRs, I had to climb aboard two new R-1's. Wow, they felt so light and agile by comparison. . . well there was no comparison. Now I want an R-1 in yellow and black for when I get the urge to make rapid changes in direction.

Next I tried out a BMW K1200RS. Riding position seemed close to my FJR. (BMW must have studied the Yamaha. . .Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery! The Buell was downright uncomfortable - too cramped. The Victory line were all comfortable. If I got a Cruiser it would be Victory not Harley. I was surprised that the Honda 919 had such an upright seating position. Another nimble bike that you could ride all day. I would like to try that one. I took a lot of picture of the new YZ250F for my son. This beauty with the all aluninum frame and class leading engine is going to win a lot of races. And, well, you get the idea, great show! :)

I was there too.

I felt like an FJR salesman a few times. ;)

OCC who??? I didn't even go near those bozos.

Very well stocked show this year for us sport tourers, I'll say that much.

Yeah, it was fun. I don't think I saw more than half the show, having spent too much time at Yamaha.

FJRandy, How could you not like those "bozos" I love watching them yell at each other and spend countless hours building unrideable bikes!

randy was that your silver fjr by the window parked on saturday ? the show was elbow to elbow with people . lots of great bikes and some big time names . the bike that stuck out the most (well all the custom stuff was just unreal) MV 1000 not sure if the spelling is correct agusta what a bike . also the harley streetglide and the big bmw ......

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there Friday when it opened... NO crowds, NO waiting to get in, NO OCC!

I RUN when they guys show up anywhere! I heard it was packed Sat and Sun due to those wieners!

I agree with FJRandy, I too felt like a saleman at the Yammie FJR display.

Is it me or do all those "choppers" look the same, then again I feel that way about Harleys in general...

I was there on Friday as well.

The Yami salesmen knew very little other than they solved the heat problem! When I told him that I had an '05, he said "Oh, so you are being cooked!".

He then turned to the gathered folks and showed them the movable side skirts that allows you to redirect the heat down. What a knob!

I said to the folks gathered that the curved radiator, extra fan, and vented fairing probably will move more air through the engine bay, and release more heat.

He said "Oh yeah, that too."

It was amazing to me that Yami would send not-so-knowledgeable folks to a convention where attendance was likely over 100K.

Now Piaggio had the right idea, alluring women in skin tight dresses. It did not matter to me that they were not knowledgeable, nor that they were hawking scooters ;)

I also hit the show on Friday. The weather was great and I enjoyed the walk from the train station. I like the 06 FJR's and also bs'd how great my 05 was. I thought the stunt show was not as good as last years. The stunt show was BOSS(Ball-of -steel-show) well they skipped the steel ball. I really liked the Ural side-car with two-wheel drive, and 1800cc M90. Did you see the nice sit down area for MV's owners? Still way too many choppers(at least some had some eye candy) for me.

I too was at the show. I went Saturday and sat on the 06 FJR that will soon be mine. I loved the color the blue is really deep and metallic. IMHO the bike looked great! There was a crowd around the FJR's everytime that I went by. I got there at the opening and left @ 1:00 PM as the sardine effect was closing in. It was a good show. Just nice to be around motorcycles after being off mine for 2 months.

OK back to sitting and waiting.............................. :(

I was there Sunday, the new seat felt a little wider to me.. ;)

NY1-22-06.jpg

I was there Saturday. Spent a good 4 hours. There sure were plenty of things to see,

although I missed Mikey and Paul Sr by 5 minutes. Loved seeing the OCC bikes in person.

The Yankee bike was very cool although I kept pissing off the crowd saying it would look much better in "RedSox Red!". Got tons of bad stares from folks!!

From what I heard the FJR1300A's seat was set fully low and the AE was set fully high.

I noticed the vent below the windshild was fixed and always opened. I asked if it could be closed for winter riding but the yamaha person did not know, but he did say both bikes are pre-prod's so it may change.

Changing the vent's on the side of the engine is a manual process. You have to remove both screws on each vent, then move to the farthest setting away from the tank, then screw them back in. You won't be doing this while riding.

As everyone else has posted before the Cobolt Blue does not look anything like the color om the yammy Web-Site. It is much darker than the 05. Very deep Royal Blue. I actually liked it alot.

I was really surprised at all the women there, the place was pretty well packed!

-=SF=-

I would guess yelling anything that had the words 'Red Sox" in the sentence would be grounds for dragging you behind an OCC through the streets of NYC. :dribble:

I think OCC is overated. They were just in the right place at the right time. I think it sucks that they SELL EVERYTHING they do, appearances, signitures, etc. Just my humble opinion. :beee:

I thought the show was good until it got so packed that you had to take baby steps to move. Last year was great because it snowed 2 feet that day. You could bowl down the rows between vendors :D

I assume you're in MA?

randy was that your silver fjr by the window parked  on saturday ?
No it wasn't mine....unfortunately. I wish I'd have seen it there though. We left at 2:30, maybe it was gone already?

I took the ferry back and forth from NJ. Got there at 9am, left 2:30pm.