Motorcycle Wind Noise Comparison Test Should You Wear Earplugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaelaria

Reaction score
Every helmet made runs at or above 70 decibels at highway speeds. This is why prolonged riding without ear plugs will result in irreversible hearing damage. Results of these tests are pretty easy to look up.

Interesting data that all your measurements were above 90dB! I suspected as much, but hadn't seen data.

In the workplace OSHA mandates hearing protection at 90dB TWA for 8 hr to avoid permanent damage. Most of us often ride longer than 8hrs and experience > 90dB throughout, risking permanent damage. I wear NRR 33 Howard Leight earplugs, and that helps immensely (note that the NRR rating doesn't guarantee that noise reduction if they do that fit tight and seal well).

Even the el-cheapo bulk foam earplugs are better than no earplugs, they just tend to be uncomfortable for the long haul.

Some of us just turn off the hearing aids...
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the price of the bikes we ride and the cost of safety gear we buy, throwing a couple of hundred bucks at custom hearing protection is not a big deal.

More comfortable for all day use.

Make hearing protection part of ATGAT.

Figured out a long time ago that hearing protection makes for a more pleasurable ride.

Use it every time, regardless of the ride length!

--G

Had never considered earplugs until I was given a pair to try. Made a believer out of me, they are just part of the gear now.

My hearing is still good, I intend keeping it that way for as long as possible. I put my earplugs in every time I put my helmet on, it's totally automatic.

I use disposable foam ones, I've found a supply from a local chemist (drug store or pharmacy according to your local English) that work well for me. A pair will last several weeks, the cost per ride is insignificant.

Someone quite some time ago made this analogy for me: Next time you're taking a multi-hour trip in your auto doing mostly highway driving, do it all with the driver's window down and then judge how you feel. How much more comfortable and alert would you have been at the end had the window been up? Ear protection is just part of putting my helmet on.

Every helmet made runs at or above 70 decibels at highway speeds. This is why prolonged riding without ear plugs will result in irreversible hearing damage. Results of these tests are pretty easy to look up.
Well said. Additionally, Motorcycle Consumer News did a research article a few years back on ear plugs. They were trying to determine which kind of ear plugs were the best from a performance/cost perspective. They tested everything from the industrial foam ear plugs all the way to the expensive custom molded models.

At the end of the test, it was concluded that for the money, the cheaper disposable dense expandable foam ear plugs did just as good of a job, when properly inserted, as did the expensive custom fitted plugs.

My wife use to work for a dentist. The saying was "you only need to floss the teeth you want to keep". Well, that can also go for your hearing and using ear plugs if you change a few words.

ATGATT includes hearing protection.

Hey All,

The issue for ear plugs has already been discussed on this forum. However, unlike tires and other stuff, matters of safety, in all its permutations, should be a constant and re occurring thread.

Ear plugs and safety glasses.........never leave home without them.

These days you can find them just about any store; grocery, drug, auto and convenience. Thanks Kaelaria

Respectfully,

Daniel

At the end of the test, it was concluded that for the money, the cheaper disposable dense expandable foam ear plugs did just as good of a job, when properly inserted, as did the expensive custom fitted plugs.
+1 - That has been my first hand experience also. I have some custom made, form fitted silicone type earplugs, but those only seal when they are inserted perfectly, and then can easily be dislodged while pulling the helmet on and off. The foam plugs, assuming that the right size is selected, seem to give a lot more reliable seal and higher amount of attenuation, at the expense of taking a bit more time to install them, and having to replace them every few days.

I have pretty large ear canals, so most of the more common ear plugs are not big enough to get a reliable seal. I discovered the 3M brand EARsoft Grippers, which are a larger diameter of soft foam. They do a great job for me and are all day comforatable to boot. Unfortunately they are only available with the plastic cord nowadays, so I just cut the little cords off in advance.

I bought a box of 200 on Amazon and shouldn't need to buy earplugs again for a good long while.
wink.png

While it was slow in the booth in Daytona I visited a Custom Ear Plug guy about three booths away. For $60 I now have a set of Premium' Custom Fitted earplugs. They worked real well in the airplane on the way home.

I've been using the foam plugs up till now.

Related to the topic..

I saw someone wet their earplug prior to placing it in their ear canal. Is that common among your practices??

Related to the topic..
I saw someone wet their earplug prior to placing it in their ear canal. Is that common among your practices??
I've never heard of anyone doing that...maybe they enjoy giving themselves a wet willy?