Motorcycle Wind Noise Comparison Test Should You Wear Earplugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wetting plugs is a practice used by some with the custom molded plugs. helps them slip in comfortably and seal better.

i've see it done with the roll up soft foam plugs, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Related to the topic..

I saw someone wet their earplug prior to placing it in their ear canal. Is that common among your practices??
I've never heard of anyone doing that...maybe they enjoy giving themselves a wet willy?
Guilty, although it's not in nostalgia for my childhood (we've all learned the practice somewhere along the way
smile.png
). My custom earplugs fit so closely that wetting them helps ease their insertion first fitting, after a morning shower has left my ears squeaky clean of their natural lubrication...

Thanks for the video to give people people a touchstone for the experiences others have been trying to share wrt hearing/noise on a bike.

wetting plugs is a practice used by some with the custom molded plugs. helps them slip in comfortably and seal better.
i've see it done with the roll up soft foam plugs, but that doesn't make sense to me.
When I got my custom molded ear plugs, they came with a half-ounce bottle of Oto-ease, a lubricant that helps inserting the plugs easier and more comfortable, and aids in sealing. It really works.

You can get it locally at hearing-aid shops, or on Amazon or online ear plug suppliers.

While lubricating an ear plug makes sense, a word of caution on what kind of plug your lubing and what your lubing them with......yes, I hear all the puns in my head...........But seriously, I've had to treat many a folk with ear aches, extreme pain and dizziness at the Plant's medical dept. The symptoms worsen quickly. Usually the result of re using dirty plugs with dirty hands (poo hands as I call it, not hand washing after the can). Not much I can do in the field, requires follow up with their own Dr. and a good dose of antibiotics. Would hate to be on a road trip far from any where under those conditions.

Daniel

My wife and I started wearing ear plugs about 10 years ago, the custom molded variety. I was told ear canals change shape over time so new plugs should be made every 4 to 5 years. I think we paid $75. My wife is religious about using the plugs; me usually when there is bad wind, especially cross or quartering winds. I find the driver air pocket behind the Cee Baily is reasonably quiet, especially with my helmet face shield up. My wife's father's side of the family suffer hearing loss congenitally. Her father has had hearing aids for four decades. Her uncles also need hearing aids. My wife is on that path, 50 percent loss in one ear, somewhat less in the other. She needs to protect what is left, though it is sure she will eventually need hearing aids like her ancestors. Last time tested I have 10 percent loss in one ear, 15 percent in the other. Years of loud music, being around loud machinery, shooting without ear protection, and 40 years of motorcycle wind noise will surely take a toll. We now know better. I have also witnessed what a terrible difficulty deafness is. It practically eliminated my father-in-law's ability to socialize, especially in a public setting with significant background noise. He just spent $8,000 on new hearing aids he says are a major improvement. Hearing loss is a bitch; expensive, too.

When I got my custom molded ear plugs, they came with a half-ounce bottle of Oto-ease, a lubricant that helps inserting the plugs easier and more comfortable, and aids in sealing. It really works.

You can get it locally at hearing-aid shops, or on Amazon or online ear plug suppliers.
I keep a small tube of Neosporin in the tank bag. Just a dab on either of the molded plugs helps tremendously with both sealing and comfort. A bottle of isopropyl alcohol sitting on the helmet shelf helps keep them clean after each ride.

Lesson learned on Tuesday.

Dealer has a $29 oil change special, so I took the bike down to get it done on my lunch. Threw the helmet in the top box and the earplugs in my pocket. Nothing really within walking distance of the dealer, so I went and poked around new bikes, played some games on my phone. Turned the speaker volume down so I wasn't being obnoxious.

For some reason, it took then an hour and 15 minutes (abnormal, usually in and out in 30 minutes). Crap, I'm late. Threw the helmet on and took off. What I didn't realize was that turning the speaker volume down on the phone also turned the Bluetooth volume down. Music seemed to be at a normal level when I got on.

Then someone started talking over the CB. Damn near drove off the road, made me jump out of my skin. Hadn't taken the time to put the earplugs in.

I too am a fan of wearing ear plugs. I seem to be able to hear/feel the bike better with them on.

I always hate it when I take off without putting them on. I start thinking...why does my bike sound so funny? Am I developing a mechanical problem?... then I realize.. oh crap, gotta pull over and put my ear plugs in.

I like the inexpensive foam type. I can wear them all day with no discomfort and toss them after a few uses. If you are inclined they can also be washed in the washing machine and come out pretty clean.
rolleyes.gif
Just leave them in your pocket and you'll see what I mean.

Z

I am a huge fan of wearing 3M E-A-R TaperFit 2 disposable ear plugs and wear them while riding motorcycle, shooting or any kind of noisy work. They fit my smaller ear canals, are comfortable, reusable, and I can find them for under $.12 per pair.

I have been using them for many years with no problems until now. I installed a set of Two Brothers slip on mufflers over the winter and was pleased that they sounded great on the FJR without being overly loud. I rode the bike home from my winter storage garage and forgot to bring along a set of ear plugs. I was mad that I had to listen to the wind but loved hearing the mellow low pitched exhaust. My second ride I remember to pop in my ear plugs and the nice exhaust noise is now ear splittingly loud. WTF?

I have come to find out about a condition called occlusion effect. Occlusion effect is caused by the bones of your head conducting low frequency sound vibrations that are unable to exit the ear because of the ear plug. This actually boosts the low frequency sound levels in the ear canal to an uncomfortable level and spoils the deep mellow sound of the exhaust. I hope to find a solution or the new Two Brothers may have to go.
angry01.gif

I am a huge fan of wearing 3M E-A-R TaperFit 2 disposable ear plugs and wear them while riding motorcycle, shooting or any kind of noisy work. They fit my smaller ear canals, are comfortable, reusable, and I can find them for under $.12 per pair.
I have been using them for many years with no problems until now. I installed a set of Two Brothers slip on mufflers over the winter and was pleased that they sounded great on the FJR without being overly loud. I rode the bike home from my winter storage garage and forgot to bring along a set of ear plugs. I was mad that I had to listen to the wind but loved hearing the mellow low pitched exhaust. My second ride I remember to pop in my ear plugs and the nice exhaust noise is now ear splittingly loud. WTF?

I have come to find out about a condition called occlusion effect. Occlusion effect is caused by the bones of your head conducting low frequency sound vibrations that are unable to exit the ear because of the ear plug. This actually boosts the low frequency sound levels in the ear canal to an uncomfortable level and spoils the deep mellow sound of the exhaust. I hope to find a solution or the new Two Brothers may have to go.
angry01.gif
https://www.twobros.com/sku/005-P1-X

angry01.gif
I think you may be misunderstanding the occlusion effect in this case. The occlusion effect is acoustic resonant amplification of low frequency, bone conducted sounds, but those sounds would be the ones coming from the wearer (like when you speak, chew, swallow, etc.) or from some direct mechanical contact with the wearer. So, low frequency vibration of your helmet or face shield, for example, that mechancically couples into your skull, would be conducted into your ear canal. Those sound waves would be amplified by the occlusion effect.

Air borne sound waves, like the pulsing of your exhaust, would not induce much sound energy into your skull unless you have your noggin pressing against the exhaust pipe. The amount of exhaust sound energy being conducted through your skull and reaching your ear canal to be amplified by the occlusion effect would be minimal.

A 33dBA ear plug will attenuate the airborne exhaust note by 33 dB (2000:1). Occlusion effect could amplify the low frequencies within the ear canal by up to 20 dB (1:100) , so the net effect would be that the sound pressure that reaches your eardrums are still attenuated by the difference of 13 dB ( 20:1)

Most earplugs are also non-linear attenuators. They attenuate high frequency sound (noise) more than lower frequencies. The dBA rating of an earplug is its worst case attenuation when the plug is properly inserted, so for example, that 33dBA rated plug will attenuate higher audible frequencies by up to 45 dB or more. This, along wih the fact that the higher frequencies do not get the same acousic amplification from the occlusion effect (due to the shorter wavelengths) makes the lower frequency noise that does get through that much more perceptible in comparison to the lack of any other noise.

But that low frequency sound is still not louder than it would be without any earplugs.

I should also mention that the best way to minimize the occlusion effect amplification is to be sure to insert the earplugs as deeply as you can in the ear canal, comfortably. The smaller the volume of trapped air between the plug and eardrum the less acoustic resonance you will get. Maybe that will help with your exhaust noise?

My wife and I started wearing ear plugs about 10 years ago, the custom molded variety. I was told ear canals change shape over time so new plugs should be made every 4 to 5 years. I think we paid $75. My wife is religious about using the plugs; me usually when there is bad wind, especially cross or quartering winds. I find the driver air pocket behind the Cee Baily is reasonably quiet, especially with my helmet face shield up. My wife's father's side of the family suffer hearing loss congenitally. Her father has had hearing aids for four decades. Her uncles also need hearing aids. My wife is on that path, 50 percent loss in one ear, somewhat less in the other. She needs to protect what is left, though it is sure she will eventually need hearing aids like her ancestors. Last time tested I have 10 percent loss in one ear, 15 percent in the other. Years of loud music, being around loud machinery, shooting without ear protection, and 40 years of motorcycle wind noise will surely take a toll. We now know better. I have also witnessed what a terrible difficulty deafness is. It practically eliminated my father-in-law's ability to socialize, especially in a public setting with significant background noise. He just spent $8,000 on new hearing aids he says are a major improvement. Hearing loss is a bitch; expensive, too.
Big Sky: First, let me say that I honestly don't mean to criticize (to each his own, etc.) but I find your post interesting. You clearly understand the causes and effects of hearing loss, concluding with the line "hearing loss is a bitch; expensive too", and yet you still don't wear ear plugs all the time? I always thought it was people who didn't know any better who ride without ear plugs. Is there some reason you don't use them by default? Just curious.

I use the Howard Leight ear plugs, and struggled at first to get a good insertion. I've discovered that rolling them, then lightly wetting them with saliva gives me a perfect insertion every time.

CA G-Man, you pose a good question...for which I have no reasonably good answer. But...

As I stated, with the Cee Baily and face shield up, things are comfortably quiet. I guess discomfort or the potential for it is what causes me to actually use the plugs. Strong quartering or cross winds, even with my Arai, are... well, deafening as well as painful and fatiguing. Also, they are a bit of a hassle, inserting takes a minute and a couple of extra contortions when pulling on the helmet. They invariably pop out when I pull the helmet. I have learned to get them (usually) to drop into the helmet, but sometimes they wind up on the ground. While they aren't terribly uncomfortable, I can always feel them there. Right, get different plugs. As I said, no good answer. It has taken me almost four decades to become an ATGATT guy, learning slowly over the years, adding gear, improving gear. I suppose ATGATT including ear plugs is the last part of the process.

i'm surprised that I didn't see anybody else doing what I do (maybe I was skimming the posts too quickly). I use Etymotic "noise isolating" ear phones, and then hook up some form of music to them. I used to have an iPod shuffle (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1353#iPod_shuffle_3G) that was tiny. One of the wires frayed after 5 years with the HF2, so I replaced the earphones with the HF5 version (https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Portable-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B000XPG2QI) that doesn't have a microphone. The iPod wasn't holding a charge so well, so I got a Jabra Tag (https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Wireless-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B00BY5GY2S) and use Bluetooth from my phone.

When using headphones like these, you need to keep the volume rather low, because the drivers are very close to the ear drum. I find that I have a lot of trouble hearing people talk to me when I have them in, but that doesn't happen often while I'm on the go.

I love my Shure 215K's. I can hear cars, but almost all wind noise is blocked when I'm wearing a quality helmet (ex.- Nolan- very quiet, Bell Revolver- wind noise diminished, but still very present). Just music played at a low level.