Motorcyclist startles motorist who ran red light.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The car did run the red. Had no effect on the motorcyclist so why run the risk of an adverse reaction from the driver at the light? Pretty dumb and could have gotten himself hurt (car much bigger than bike).

On the other hand, the bike started out by crossing a solid line coming into an intersection (cutting off another vehicle). He spent some time unnecessarily weaving in and out of light traffic (at least he was doing shoulder checks). The clip finished by the bike changing lanes in an intersection and then crossing another solid to take his exit.

I think the car driver was careless and missed (or tried to run) the light. The motorcyclist, however, was a douche.

I agree with the above comments, and I see one distinction: the auto driver was clueless to his surroundings, seemingly driving in autopilot while distracted (presumably in conversation with his passenger). If he didn't notice the red light or the motorcyclist approaching him from the rear, what else won't he notice? In contract, the motorcyclist was active to keep aware of all surroundings, actively watching cars, pedestrians, lights, etc (but making some inappropriate lane changes in order to challenge the clueless driver). I don't condone the motorcyclist's action's, but of the two, I'd rather share the road with that motorcyclist (whether he is driving a car or motorcycle).

On the other hand, the bike started out by crossing a solid line ... then crossing another solid to take his exit.
Not sure about whatever state that video is from, but here in Michigan there's nothing illegal about crossing a single solid line. Single solid line just means "there's some reason that we feel changing lanes here should be discouraged, but go ahead and do so with care."

There are times that tune-ups are appropriate. This wasn't one. But they happen. If it's a big enough mistake for me to intervene, it's not something I'm likely to be nice about.

As a rider, fear of this scenario has helped me (but admittedly not totally cured me) break a nasty habit.

Forever in the cage, when first in line at a signaled intersection, I've had a horrible habit of not concentrating on my own red light, but rather staring at the perpendicular green light, taking mental note of when it turns to yellow and then red. My natural impatience somehow wants to know PRECISELY when the other direction turns red so I can save 0.000002 seconds on my own departure. When I started riding again, it hit me how many people run the red light and although the danger of an accident was just as possible in the cage as the bike, the implications from the bike were much more daunting.

Now, I try to pay attention to my own signal, and when it turns green, pause 3/4 of a second checking both ways deliberately to be assured there are no red light runners before I release the clutch. Granted, it's still a work in progress, but much better than it used to be.

In the back country, I don't mind loosening up on the bike. I avoid city traffic like the plague, but if I must ride in it, I do so like a paranoid granny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to lunch with a guy I worked with one day and took my car. On the way back I was sitting at a light, and when it changed green I waited a couple of seconds. He started tormenting me "Hey Ed, when the light changes green you can go." Before he finished that sentence a car came flying through the light from the other direction. The look on his face was priceless! I told him "I usually like to wait for everyone to finish running the light before going."
rolleyes.gif

I'll start moving, but before I break the plane of the intersection I make danged sure opposing traffic appears to be stopping.

I'll start moving, but before I break the plane of the intersection I make danged sure opposing traffic appears to be stopping.
Gunny. Last one I had I was at the front of the line. My light went green but I saw him coming from the right so I didn't move. Guy behind me was in a hurry I guess so he lays on the horn. I just point at the car coming, my finger follows him as he blows right through the intersection.

First time I was in West Virginia , about 2009, the most prevalent advertising billboard was "Red Means Stop". Figured I'd better watch really close, saw 6 people run the red in 2 days.

When I was 17, I had a brand new little truck. I was in Albuquerque one day doing shop stuff for my dad. I wasn't supposed to go see my girlfriend, but I knew if I hurried up with the shop business and sped, that would buy me some time to visit her.

I got off the freeway and caught the red light in the right lane. Thankfully there was a green suburban to my left. The light turned green and I was getting ready to haul ass when I saw the suburban stop hard. I braked, and watched as a van doing at least 60 swerved around us, nearly lost it and continued past us. He missed us by inches.

If that Suburban hadn't of stopped, I would have been drilled by that stupid van. If that hadn't of killed me, my dad would have because the only reason I had for being in that area of town was to see my GF.

Ever since then I have been very cautious about cross traffic. It has saved me more than once. IF I happen to be at work and that happens, there are no breaks, or warnings. I have written every one I have ever witnessed and I take my time. Makes trying to save 45 seconds by running the light totally not worth it.

. . . IF I happen to be at work and that happens, there are no breaks, or warnings. I have written every one I have ever witnessed and I take my time. Makes trying to save 45 seconds by running the light totally not worth it.
Man, if I could just be a Special Deputy, Ticket-Writing-Only Division, I'd ride around for free and nab idiots all day long! And the first one I wish I could have gotten was the guy in the Jeep wagon who ran the red light so late that the guy in front of me completed his left turn before this guy came barreling through the intersection from my left while I think I did a genuine "stoppie" as he breezed by me.

So AJ, does your department need any volunteers? Hell, I'd move.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lost count of the number of times just waiting that second or two and not being the first to jump into the intersection has kept me from being a hood-ornament or broad-sided. Only took once and a reminder a couple of weeks later to permanently engrave wherever the really important stuff gets engraved.