Mounting a 2-way radio in the front fairing pocket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

Reaction score
I have a new Yaseu FTM-10r ham radio that I want to mount on my '07 FJR. The radio's body and head separate and mounting the head will be easy on a ram mount by the left grip. The body of the radio, however, presents another issue. I'd like it in a place that doesn't get wet but still gets some air. The body is slightly too big to fit in the left front fairing pocket, but I'm not opposed to doing some carving of the pocket. Has anyone mounted a radio in the pocket and, if so, what did it take to do it?

Any other suggestions (outside of the purely silly or ridiculous) are apprecaited.

Jon,

I am wondering if the unit would fit under the seat, but I can't seem to find dimensions without the control head attached. There isn't great ventilation there but if you mount it in the glove box I would think heat would be a bigger issue there then under the seat because of the proximity of the radiator. Another Ham I know actually mounted it in a top box he has mounted to his bike (not an FJR) and the control cable was enough to get it to the front of that bike. There certainly aren't any great places to put something that large "hidden" on the FJR.

Out of curiosity, have you figured out what type of antenna and where you are going to mount that?

I'll keep thinking - Thomas (KI4BAR)

Thomas,

I don't want to put the body of the radio under the seat because of the engine heat that rises up there. Also, I have the MCC cruise control unit there, leaving even less space. There also isn't room under the passenger seat.

I thought of drilling ventilation holes in the fairing pocket and mounting a small, 12V fan on the outside of the pocket to draw air through it and cool the radio.

I have a luggage rack on the back of the bike and I'm thinking of attaching the antenna to it. Nothing fancy, a 2m/440 dual bander. Have to see if I can get a good enough ground plane for a 5/8 wave on 2m.

Jon