Mounting the Eclipse tank bag - with pix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBEmerson

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I like my Eclipse bag but... the mount sux. If there's a way to mount it that doesn't leave straps where they can scrub the tank paint, the bottom doesn't scrub the tank paint, and I can get the bag out of the way, and back on, without invoking the assistance of Hell's lesser demons and saying things that make sheep nervous, I don't see it.

I have the supplied foam pad, of course, but it's about 1/4" to small on all sides. The pass-through holes for the front straps are shredded. Right now the bag's at the back of the tank, looking like it slid back while riding. Further, the bag will happily slide left/right on the least excuse.

In short, the mount sux.

Does anyone have pictures of their Eclipse bag where it makes more sense (top of the tank), doesn't rub the paint, and comes off and on at gas stops?

Welp, I don't have pics on how to mount an Eclipse, cuz the one I have looked like it wuz gonna chaff the paint, so I use it as a tail pack on my little FZ6.

I recommend buying a GIVI magnetic tank bag here -> https://tourandride.com/

GVN1HBB.jpg

Luv my GIVI!

bBNeLCP.jpg

Well... having just bought the Eclipse, and generally liking its design and features (mounting aside), better than that tossing it for another bag. :)

I like my Eclipse bag but... the mount sux. If there's a way to mount it that doesn't leave straps where they can scrub the tank paint, the bottom doesn't scrub the tank paint, and I can get the bag out of the way, and back on, without invoking the assistance of Hell's lesser demons and saying things that make sheep nervous, I don't see it.

I have the supplied foam pad, of course, but it's about 1/4" to small on all sides. The pass-through holes for the front straps are shredded. Right now the bag's at the back of the tank, looking like it slid back while riding. Further, the bag will happily slide left/right on the least excuse.

In short, the mount sux.

[/ whack]

Gotta love Eclipse. After finally giving up on mounting the bag every which way but the right way, I asked for, and got, for free!, a new pad. 

The great takeaway... the pad is supposed to be attached to the bag by using the three straps with the females goes-intos sticking out of the bag. I tried the reverse, using the straps I put on the bike. FAIL, massive FAIL.

Tweak the length of the straps, ending in male stick-intos, to suit. I somehow punted on tensioning the back (single) tank bag strap. I tore the little crossbar (makes more sense when looking at the pad). I kept the old pad; I snipped out a "patch" that I glued to the new pad. I cut two slots to match the original setup. That works like a hound in hunting season. (attach the patch to the fabric side, not the "rubber" side)

Two majors thing to keep in mind:

The rubber-like side of the pad goes on top of the tank, not the side with the fabric backing. That limits how much the bag skids on the tank. 

There is a right side up and a wrong side up to the plastic fittings. Get it wrong and their straps, where they go through the stick-intos, rub on the tank. Get them right side up, and there's no rubbing. 

Great thanks, Eclipse, for the support! With the bag mounted correctly... happy, happy, joy, joy!