Mouse hunting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a No Kill household, but my house is a barn converted into a house so it leaks rodents through the foundation. This means that I use live catch traps. One morning when I was ready for work = tie, white shirt and slacks I noticed that we had a mouse in the trap. SWMBO does not want the mouse to be in the trap all day so I took it out to the woods, far enough away that I could probably get back into the house before the newly released mouse could. I opened the trap's door, turned the trap upside down and shook -- no mouse. I shook again, no mouse. I gave one final shake and out popped the mouse, then quicker than you can say OH SHIT the mouse zoomed up my leg. I was able to grab my pant leg at the very top of my thigh and tightened it so the mouse could go no higher (YIKES!). I couldn't get the little bustard to reverse direction. So there I am in the woods in my white shirt taking my pants off while doing a dance to get the mouse out hoping that the neighbors wouldn't see me. The feel of a mouse running up your leg, now that there is something you can't forget.

Redneck mouse trap:

redneckmousetrap.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me when I was a kid my uncle took me to the dump @ night to shoot rats with .22s. Had a great time until one ran up my pant leg. I about shit bricks.

Even in a relatively newly constructed home (~ 20 years old) the little rodents have no problem finding a way to break in. And at this time of year with the temps we are currently experiencing, mammals have a pretty good incentive to do just that.

We have 4 mobile mouse eliminators on premise. We do have to feed them twice a day, but Josie's indoor cats do a credible job keeping the mouse population down with minimal mess to clean up in the mornings.

Outdoors, being that we are backed up to a wooded area, we see a lot of those bigger rodents cleaning out our bird feeder. You know... the ones with the big bushy tails? Taken a look at the cost of bird food lately? So, last year we shelled out the big bux for a special bird feeder that is 100% effective at eliminating the problem and also great entertainment. It's called the Droll Yankee Squirrel Flipper. Worth every bit of the Benjamin we put out for it.

Yes, it does work exactly like in the video (except for the cheesy sound effects)

Years ago, I go to put a bag of trash into a trash can in the garage. The can was empty, and as I took the lid off I see a mouse at the bottom. I look outside and our two cats are sitting outside the garage, along with our Scottish Terrier. The kids are out there, along with my wife. So I figure I'll dump the mouse outside and let the cats chase it.

So...

I dump the mouse outside. It runs past the cats, who watch it (with their typical cattish demeanor "Hmmm, interesting, but not just now, thank you"). It keeps on going, runs right toward the Scotty, who slurps it right off the ground - chomp, chomp, gulp, slurp. No more mousie.

Get yourself a Siberian, Malamute or Samoyed. They'll snap those little buggers up and and turn them into poo within a couple of hours.

I am not fond of cats, but I keep one in the basement garage who takes care of most of the mice. I do sometimes have to pick up a half-eaten one and once in a while I get one in the kitchen that got past the cat, but not very often.

Even in a relatively newly constructed home (~ 20 years old) the little rodents have no problem finding a way to break in. And at this time of year with the temps we are currently experiencing, mammals have a pretty good incentive to do just that.
We have 4 mobile mouse eliminators on premise. We do have to feed them twice a day, but Josie's indoor cats do a credible job keeping the mouse population down with minimal mess to clean up in the mornings.

Outdoors, being that we are backed up to a wooded area, we see a lot of those bigger rodents cleaning out our bird feeder. You know... the ones with the big bushy tails? Taken a look at the cost of bird food lately? So, last year we shelled out the big bux for a special bird feeder that is 100% effective at eliminating the problem and also great entertainment. It's called the Droll Yankee Squirrel Flipper. Worth every bit of the Benjamin we put out for it.

Oh. Well. If I can't get the cheesy sound effects I don't want one ;)

I've got a tube type feeder hanging under a baffle and about 20' of chain from a very high limb. So far, the squirrels haven't figured out how to get to it, though they probably could.

We also have a problem with raccoons getting to the feeders. Do you think this Yankee Flipper would be tough enough to withstand them?

Years ago, I go to put a bag of trash into a trash can in the garage. The can was empty, and as I took the lid off I see a mouse at the bottom. I look outside and our two cats are sitting outside the garage, along with our Scottish Terrier. The kids are out there, along with my wife. So I figure I'll dump the mouse outside and let the cats chase it.
So...

I dump the mouse outside. It runs past the cats, who watch it (with their typical cattish demeanor "Hmmm, interesting, but not just now, thank you"). It keeps on going, runs right toward the Scotty, who slurps it right off the ground - chomp, chomp, gulp, slurp. No more mousie.
Not that surprising since terriers were originally bred to control the rat populations.

We also have a problem with raccoons getting to the feeders. Do you think this Yankee Flipper would be tough enough to withstand them?
My guess is that the Flipper would work equally well for 'coons. You'd just have to be sure to build the hanging hook stout enough to support the weight of the raccoon.

Even with the (less intelligent) squirrels they only take one ride and then learn not to mess with that feeder anymore. When we first got it one of the bolder grey raiders slid down the tube, stepped on the perch and started swinging around. He was so confused by what was going on he held on, apparently for dear life, for at least 15 seconds. Eventually he let go and got flung off to the side, and then staggered off into the woods. I think he told all of his friends because we didn't get much action after that.

Eventually I got a little bored, so I put back up the old regular feeder that they had been able to clean out at will previously. It took them a while but eventually we saw when they came back to hit it up. We switched back to the Flipper and saw another squirrel go for an extended ride. And again, after that one, all of his buddies stayed away.

They still come and clean up the dropped seed that the birds knock out of the feeder, but the don't aspire to climb on the Squirrel Flipper any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone got a solution for chipmunks? I got dozens of em in warmer weather. They are burrowing everywhere.

That Redneck Mouse Trap works REALLY WELL if you fill about 1/3 of the bucket with antifreeze. After a couple hours, scoop the little bastards out with a kitty litter scoop and flush them or trash them. I prefer the flush to protect the dogs.

Anyone got a solution for chipmunks? I got dozens of em in warmer weather. They are burrowing everywhere.
A .22. Some of the most fun you can have.
See video in post one ;)

I'm wondering what the Pittsburgh police would think about discharging a .22 in town.

I all seriousness, you might try your local farmers association, cooperative extension service, etc. for suggestions. There may be something you could put on your lawn just to encourage them to move to your neighbor's yard.

A .22. Some of the most fun you can have.
See video in post one ;)

I'm wondering what the Pittsburgh police would think about discharging a .22 in town.

I all seriousness, you might try your local farmers association, cooperative extension service, etc. for suggestions. There may be something you could put on your lawn just to encourage them to move to your neighbor's yard.
I couldn't watch it. I'm on our stupid iPad and don't have Adobe Flash Player. We bought one of our daughters a Droid based tablet for Christmas. That has ADFP. Maybe I should break it out for me. Haha...