Move Over 'iron Butt' Guys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
20k in 20 days, on an R1.
hail.gif

The 20,000 Miles in 20 Days Challenge !

Good luck Nick Sanders, that is one serious LD challange. :blink:

>> SURVIVAL : Nick carries nothing with him. No change of Clothes, No food, No Camelbacks, No toiletries and No First Aid.

>> WAYFINDING : In places like Asia and India where hardly anyone speaks English, finding your way around the country, often without signs can waste time. Nick who has been around the world six times before, is confident he knows his way around the globe and needs no GPS.
HE must be one tough SOB. :eek:

Long Distance Riders, what's the deal? Is it for bragging rights, because you get a patch, or do you just enjoy punishing yourself and your motorcycle? Really I'd like to know why people do the Ironbutt.

People like to challege themselves. . Up to a point it's Ok. It can be taken to an extream. I mean guys have crossed the Atlantic in Kayak's. ;) At some point you have to wonder whan it is no longer within the realms of sanity. TJ

Long Distance Riders, what's the deal? Is it for bragging rights, because you get a patch, or do you just enjoy punishing yourself and your motorcycle? Really I'd like to know why people do the Ironbutt.
Cause I want to

Cause I want to
OK..,But that still doesn't explain the appeal or desire. I'm just trying to understand it because now I own a motorcycle that is use by LDRs. I never heard about Ironbutts in the 30 years that I've been riding Panheads, except maybe them that rode hardtails.

OK..,But that still doesn't explain the appeal or desire. I'm just trying to understand it because now I own a motorcycle that is use by LDRs. I never heard about Ironbutts in the 30 years that I've been riding Panheads, except maybe them that rode hardtails.
Some people just like to ride long distance, sometimes its hard to understand when someone is into something you don't "get". I personally don't understand why people watch fishing but a lot do. :p

As to the rallys... well get two or more people together who do the same thing and someone will want to compete.

I'd like to do it mainly to see what there is to see. Last july the wife and I rode the entire BRP then shot over to the dragon, ran it 4 times, then headed back home to NY. My poor wife was not used to long rides (more than 60 miles) and our days were cut to 300 mile days and it took a week to accomplish. I'd love to get back down to the BRP and try to finish it in a day. It is by far the most enchanting ride I've been on with the exception of the trip I took from Sembach, GE to the dolomites in italy back in '94.