movie making question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I have forgotten how I did it or lost the correct software.

I am still using the same camera and down loading to hard drive, windows player will play it but NONE (3) of my movie maker programs will run .ASF format I have to convert to AVI or MPEG etc. Does anyone have a shareware converter? I googled but everthing I find has a .90 sec limit in the shareware and I am too cheap a bastard to pay for the converter. It used to be real easy but something has changed and I don't know what. Prob a microsoft update thet screwed me.

I'm no movie expert... but it SAYS... microsoft movie maker supports that file type:

Supported formats for importing content

•Video files: .asf, .avi, .wmv

•Movie files: MPEG1, .mpeg, .mpg, .m1v, .mp2

•Audio files: .wav, .snd, .au, .aif, .aifc, .aiff

•Windows Media files: .asf, .wm, .wma, .wmv

•Still images: .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif,.gif

•MP3 format audio: .mp3

and you can download it free...

clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Movie maker as one of my programs but I get this error message

The file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\dragon video\best run.ASFis not indexed and cannot be imported.

Rickster is correct.
MS Knowledge Clicky

I have Movie maker as one of my programs but I get this error message

The file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\dragon video\best run.ASFis not indexed and cannot be imported.
Did you just copy the files from the camera to a folder like we did at EOM?
Yes I did. I also tried to import staight from the camera, but it did not find it there either - said check firewire cable, turn computer off/on. I did everything it suggested. It would however find the still shots and media player would run straight from the camera so no probs in the usb connection.

It will play fine in Media Player and others. I have Pinnicale Studio 8, Windows Movie Maker and MUVEE. None will recognize the .asf.

I downloaded a trial of a converter and it worked then, but it is limited in the conversion.

What is the INDEXING error?

Fence,

A couple of things, for one your not the first one to have this problem because there tons of hits from google and ms if you search for this type of problem.

I did some reading and there are several things to cause this. One things that you need to make sure that you have all of you windows updates and the most current version of MS Movie Maker. Go to Microsoft and put: ".asf indexing error" in the search field. Plenty of reading material there.

Hope this helps.

JW

ok now I am just completely baffled.

it will do 2 of the 4 movies ishot. not the 2 I want to do (of course). And it throws the sound off. I think it is a glitch in movie maker as i did a good short clip of my f up at the dragon on my wifes un-updated puter. but i still get an index error on the other 2 movies

Hey there Fencer
Windows Media Encoder should do what you want, and it is free.

https://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...er/default.mspx

Zoltan
Well, I thought that had done the trick. but nope. It converted (4 hours!) from and .asf to a .wma The movie maker starts to read it then crashes. I need to find a .avi or .mpeg converter. Even microsofts .asf tools does not work. After all the searching and reading this is a prob that has been around since 01/02 and even posted with the same questions on microsofts tech help page with no answer. The prob was generally how to play not how to record. The media player # 9 fixed the play probs. we are on # 11 now. My other two movie maker programs will not recognize the .wma :angry:

Or maybe this.I'm sure you may have seen these already, but just in case.

Here is yet another possibility.

Must ride now, Must ride now! :yahoo:

https://www.divx-digest.com/articles/asf2avi.html

Zoltan
Zoltan - YOU-DA-MAN!!!

It took a lot of kicking and screaming (cussing too) but I finally got it!!!!!! :yahoo:

Uploading to You tube as I type. I hope it takes it all or I'll have to re cut it :(

I hope it does not show much degredation after all that either (fingers crossed!)

watch the vid section comming soon!