MPG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flienlow

Reaction score
I noticed on my bike that there are 2 mpg readings. 1 is the average MPG that I am getting, and the other is the current MPG. when I am riding down the road my currnet MPG reading is always on 17.0. When I stop it will go blank, but when I am riding it always goes back to 17.0. Doesnt matter if I am standing on it, or coasting down hill...17.0 anyone else seen this?

BTW- my average mpg with this bike is always around 34.7 or so. Does this sound normal to you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Flienlow,

The instant mpg thing is a known bug, and is going to be fixed by Mamayama.

FJRForum on instant mpg

Regarding the avg mpg - do you reset it each time you fill up? My first two tanks ran about 34 to 35 mpg, mainly because I was incredibly sloppy on the shifting, and my riding was at slower speeds.

Reset the avg mpg back to zero with your next fill up, it may show a difference.

Hey, Flienlow,
The instant mpg thing is a known bug, and is going to be fixed by Mamayama.

FJRForum on instant mpg

Regarding the avg mpg - do you reset it each time you fill up? My first two tanks ran about 34 to 35 mpg, mainly because I was incredibly sloppy on the shifting, and my riding was at slower speeds.

Reset the avg mpg back to zero with your next fill up, it may show a difference.

THANKS!

This bug is something in US, right?

In my European version (km/l or l/100km) it shows instant as it should, I mean no bug...

My average so far, is 5,3 l/100km...I think it is quite low...not complaining...

All the scoots that didn't meet yamaha standards were sent to america. :lol:

Got the bike yesterday. Getting 37.5 mpg and I am definitely not taking it slow. :yahoo: Awesome ride.

This bug is something in US, right?
In my European version (km/l or l/100km) it shows instant as it should, I mean no bug...

My average so far, is 5,3 l/100km...I think it is quite low...not complaining...
Has anyone in the US set their bike to Km? and vice versa, has anyone outside the US set their bike to miles?

I'd be interested in seeing if they still behave the same then.

Time for a Canadian to be useful, as they would probably have a US spec bike on the Km settings. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up my bike from it's 600 mile service, and what the tech told me Yamaha is not sure how they will fix this. It could be anything from a software update or all they way up to replacing the dash (doubt that). He just told me to watch the mail. :rolleyes:

Aim

First few tanks ... 42, 44, 45. Mixed riding in commute and twisties ;-). Definitely not taking it easy half the time.

Seems to be getting slightly better as the bike is broken in.

I did a 620 mile trip today - highway/twisties/highway - and completed breaking in my 06 (now at 1,250 miles). Gas mileage is incredible! I ran 47-48 mpg all day almost regardless of riding conditions. The only times the average was falling was when I was traveling at 80mph on the interstate. The bike is very efficient at 75 and below. Early on in the break-in period, I was lucky to get 43-44mpg.

Not an issue on my 06 A, the average is ranging around 17.9 - 18.4km/l, instant (not that I have it on that setting often) has been as high as 48km/l (downhill). Seems to get better as I get it broken in, up to 700km on it now.

Don't know if mine is a US spec or not, speedo is completely metric but I am able to go between MPG and Km/l - l/100Km on the display screen. Don't know about the MPG readings though as I never have it on that, rather meaningless measurement to Canadians (except maybe those who still live in the 70's and smoke dope :drag: - hey, wait a minute...). Besides, wouldn't know if it meant MPG US or MPG Imperial - it was confusing even when we did use MPG.

Maybe the US models being stuck on 17MPG is Yamaha's way of prodding the US to join the rest of the world and adopt the metric system :whistle:

-------------------------------------

My opinion just gets more valuable: My $0.02CAD now worth $0.0174USD and climbing!