Muffler Gasket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you need a muffler gasket?

I've had my mufflers on and off a few times (I switch out with my Holeshot slip-ons) and I've never damaged or lost the OEM gasket.

When I install the Holeshots (that do not come with any gasket) I use "Permatex high-temp red RTV silicone gasket maker" per their recomendation.

Do you need a muffler gasket?

I've had my mufflers on and off a few times (I switch out with my Holeshot slip-ons) and I've never damaged or lost the OEM gasket.

When I install the Holeshots (that do not come with any gasket) I use "Permatex high-temp red RTV silicone gasket maker" per their recomendation.
Thanks Mike, mine are beginning to look a little bit past their best! They should be good for at least one more season but I was just thinking ahead. The silicone sounds like a good deal to me, that's what Triumph recommend for their bikes IIRC :rolleyes:

Don

I wonder if anyone has ever taken their cans back off after a year of running the Hi Temp RTV to see if its still there or burned out or still in tact?

I wonder if anyone has ever taken their cans back off after a year of running the Hi Temp RTV to see if its still there or burned out or still in tact?
I've run mine for over a year, switched back to the OEM mufflers. In fact, I've changed mine a number of times at different intervals. I've never had a problem.

If the seal is broken, you won't have to look to see if the RTV is burned or intact. One quick test is the finger test :eek: if the seal is bad you will feel blow-by exhaust escaping. The second test is the Hardly Ableson test -- listen, if'n it's bad it will speak up and announce that there is a problem.

Does that go before or after the muffler beairng or is it the piston return spring? :p

Seriously, I have Two-Bros Racing CF cans, no gasket(s) at all. Is it really needed? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that go before or after the muffler beairng or is it the piston return spring? :p

Seriously, I have Two-Bros Racing CF cans, no gasket(s) at all. Is it really needed? :huh:
It is with the OEM silencers, there's about an 1/8" gap which the muffler gasket is designed to take up! :rolleyes:

Don

I use some stuff called Acousti-Seal made by Walker. It should be easy to find at the better parts stores. It is some nasty stuff that is black as tar ans sticks to skin and clothes twice as bad, but will out last high temp silicone by a few thousand degrees. Though I don't own a FJR yet, my XS11s use the same style gasket and they are getting hard to come by, and aren't nearly as cheap as $13 when you find them. So a slathering of the Acousti-seal on the old ones and they will seal back up nicely.

Might help, might not, worth a shot.

I use some stuff called Acousti-Seal made by Walker. It should be easy to find at the better parts stores. It is some nasty stuff that is black as tar ans sticks to skin and clothes twice as bad, but will out last high temp silicone by a few thousand degrees. Though I don't own a FJR yet, my XS11s use the same style gasket and they are getting hard to come by, and aren't nearly as cheap as $13 when you find them. So a slathering of the Acousti-seal on the old ones and they will seal back up nicely.

Might help, might not, worth a shot.
Thanks Ivan, not sure if it's available over here but worth a look :clapping:

Happy Christmas

Don