Must not do this again, must not do this again, must not do this again, must not do this agai.........................

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feejer222

Reaction score
Been a bad lad tonight.

OK to not cut a long story short............

My SO is more of a bike fan than me, if I sold the bike I am certain she would divorce me. For that reason I have very seldom been out on the bike on my own since we met. (7 Yrs.). Painful as that might sound it's true. Now some of you who have read my previous posts will have surmised that I am....OK have been a bit of a *scally on a bike in days gone by. So the thoughts of going for a thrash have had to be pushed from my conciesness, for ever I thought .

Tonight the mood came over me, the weather was just about perfect, and I had some young guy's blood surging through my narrowed arteries. Without a thought for the marital concequenses I opened the garage door, threw on some kit and rolled out the beast. Within minutes we were on the M60 heading for anywhere fast.

We went up the M60, onto the M56 and then South on the M6. This took me to Holmes Chapel and my favourite local twisties. It's about 7 miles of typical English country lanes. (Similar to the TT footage). A couple of long (flat in 4th gear) straights, then lots of 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear bends of varying difficulty and speed.

Holmes Chapel is just off the M6 you pass through the village, and as you leave, heading back in an Easterly direction you immediately hit a set of lovely wide sweepers with good visibility.

Just as I exited the village a young pup was sat outside a house astride his 600cc something or other, putting his helmet on. He had full leathers on and looked like he wouldn't take much baiting. I did everything but shout 'come on then if you think you're good enough''. I held the FJR in 2nd for longer than needed so the engine revved, then up to 3rd, and a blip of the throttle as I changed back down to 2nd for the bend. I thought 'that should let him know why I am on his strech of road tonight'.

Sure enough as I reached the end of the next straight he was on my tail, this time I could hear his engine revving as he crashed down the box as we approached the next corner.

The next stretch is pretty open and I was able to wind the FJR up, my heart was racing and I was 21 again being completely stupid. I rode the bike like I have never ridden it before, the engine screaming in every gear and the front wheel digging furrows as I braked heaviley into the corners. It was heaven, what a fantastic experience I have denied myself for too long. The bike was way too fast for those roads and I seldom got half way through 4th gear, but going up and down the box, heavy braking and throwing the bike on its side left and then right, was something I havn't done for literaly years.

I have to concede the point that uprated suspension would be a must if I were to do that kind of thing often. I have argued the opposite in other threads, but there was quite a lot of front wheel drift and something going on at the rear under heavy acceleration whilst still cranked over that I didn't have time to work out.

Anyway, heres the funny bit, Valentino Rossi became a tiny spec in my mirrors. I almost laughed out loud when I looked and saw him in the distance. I slowed a bit and let him get a bit closer and then thought 'feck it' and buggered off into the sunset. When I came to the next village, Alderly Edge, I slowed right down and eventually stopped at a red light, he appeared just as I set off. I went straight on and he turned at the lights.

I can just imagine him telling his mates how this fat bastard on a tourer left him in the weeds.......or maybe he wont hehehehehehehehehehe

Anyway, I must not do that again....possibly.

The route takes me past Jodrell bank, a huge radio telescope. Check it out on Google Earth.

ROUTE

*Scally....scallywag, English slang for loveable rogue....y'know, like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you just feel lucky that you made it out alive! Let your pride get the best of you now didn't you?

When are you going to do it again?

Nice ride report feejer22. I think this bike just brings out the hooligan in a lot of us sometimes.

In the "old" days we called that - blow'n somebody's doors... in other words your machine whupped the tar outa the other guy's machine...

I'm proud of you!

Now you just feel lucky that you made it out alive! Let your pride get the best of you now didn't you?
When are you going to do it again?
I wont, I seldom get the chance and wouldn't get much sleep if I carried on like that. It was fun, but not again I think.

:yahoo: :clapping: :rolleyes: truly a good read! Keep that up and you'll be getting 3000 miles per tire like other hooligans on this site.. :unsure:

Now THAT was fun! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

And i wasn't even there..... :blink:

Personally, I would never do anything like that, picking on that poor unsuspecting lad with his repli-racer machine. (It's really more fun when they have they're wearing matching leathers and helmet...er...uhm...so I've been told.) Its nice to know there are those who do these kind of rides and enjoy it for the rest of us more subdued riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great story. I was on the edge of the seat, hoping you'd tell me you beat the kid rather than some less pleasant consequence.

Did you tell your good lady about your adventures? Perhaps not. She might want to come with you next time but it wouldn't be quite the same.

I wonder what (if anything) the kid told his friends?

Jill

What a great story. I was on the edge of the seat, hoping you'd tell me you beat the kid rather than some less pleasant consequence.
Did you tell your good lady about your adventures? Perhaps not. She might want to come with you next time but it wouldn't be quite the same.

I wonder what (if anything) the kid told his friends?

Jill
Yes I told her, she wasn't impressed. Whenever I get silly with her on the back I get the obligatory dig in the ribs. Still, she understands my needs and the conversation wasn't too intense. I won't do it again soon, I don't know why but the urge came over me, the timing and weather were right so off I went. It was fun.

:clapping: It's called "feeling your oats" or something like that... Horses getting frisky. I had a guy on a Honda pass me one time in the mountains and being the fool that I am, I went after him and passed him back. Later I stopped at a viewpoint and he pulled up and nodded. That is when I saw the writing on his gas tank..."Catch Me If You Can!" I cracked up! :yahoo:

Bill

:clapping: It's called "feeling your oats" or something like that...
You might not want to suggest that a British guy went out to get his oats. Sue sounds pretty forgiving about hooliganism on the bike, but getting his oats wouldn't go down quite as well! :)

On the other hand, Graham did come back with a very big smile on his face!!!

Jill

:clapping: It's called "feeling your oats" or something like that...
You might not want to suggest that a British guy went out to get his oats. Sue sounds pretty forgiving about hooliganism on the bike, but getting his oats wouldn't go down quite as well! :)

On the other hand, Graham did come back with a very big smile on his face!!!

Jill
Behave now, my SO does read this forum from time to time! Do you want me to be forbiden my bike keys for other than hooligan reasons?

Actually come to think of it, I havn't smiled like that since..........................